1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Considering E-PM1 to replace my E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I am considering buying one of the E-PM1s listed in the hot deals section and selling my E-PL2. I use my camera mainly for travel photography and love the small sizes. I think I could put up with having to use a menu system to get into aperture priority mode and I typically don't use too many features when walking around.

I see it as a transitional body and would likely upgrade in two years to one of the newer bodies as they become less expensive.

Has anyone made this switch and do you have any advice?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    My only suggestion would be to wait a while, or stretch a bit more (think around $100 difference) and go straight to the E-PM2. The E-PM1 takes great pics, but so does your E-PL2, and the more noticeable performance upgrade would come with the new sensor in the E-PM2.

• Like Like x 2
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I went from E-PL2 for the E-PM2.

I would suggest going that route, the image quality is so much better compared to my E-PL2 and will be better than E-PM1 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for the Comments

Agreed with the comments so far. I definitely would rather have the E-PM2 at this point. The $ factor, however, has led me to consider the E-PM1.
    Good advice. I agree that the E-PM2 would be a better choice and waiting for some price drop would be smart (at least for me). It is fun, however, to try new items, especially when they are relatively cheap.

At 200 for the E-PM1, I can get the E-PM1 and sell the E-PL2 for not much difference and then use it while waiting for the E-PM2 price to drop or some other body to arrive on the scene.

Basically, the Cheap refurb price for the E-PM1 has me tempted and I want to see if anyone really hates the E-PM1 or thinks I would be dissapointed with it.

Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1 Micro Digital Camera & 14-42mm II Lens (Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Other question -- why would you want to move from the EPL2 to the EPM1?

Here are the reasons I can think of:
    1) smaller body
    2) faster AF
    3) Better incandescent WB
    4) some additional art filters

The downside of the EPM1 vs. EPL2:
    Some IBIS issues around 1/100 second shutter speed. Less grip

The upside to saving a bit more and going EPM2.
    Higher ISO is night and day different from the other two
    No IBIS issues that I'm aware of

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    While I agree with the E-PM2 comments, I'm sure it would hurt you less financially to purchase the E-PM1 and just KEEP the E-PL2, which would be the best option of them all. :) I use both E-PM1s and E-PL2s, and they are both great cameras on equal level. Neither is an upgrade or downgrade to the other, they are just different form factors. I'm sure you will appreciate the smaller form factor of the Mini when you pack it in your bag, which is why I have more Minis than any other body. It makes a big difference, allowing you to pack smaller bags easier with more things and without the tight stress. When keeping your camera out to shoot and not transporting it from place to place, you'll appreciate the extra buttons and beefier grip of the E-PL2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    The main reasons I was thinking of the E-PM1 are.
    1. smaller body
    2. claimed faster AF (my E-PL2 does miss some things)
    and ...
    3. cheap E-PM1 right now and the joy of a new toy brings a little excitement back to the photography

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Consider this one carefully. I thought I could deal with it. Now I'm considering an E-P3, E-PL5, or maybe the E-P5 (thought probably not for $1000)

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    lol. All good reasons. It's certainly smaller. The AF is a bit faster and if I remember correctly, the AF box might be able to get a bit smaller. It's been a while since I used both. I moved from the EPL2 to the EPM1 and was very happy with the switch, but the EPM2 sensor is a huge step up.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The pro grade DSLR lines like the E-3 and E-5 also use a digital button/menu system to get between shooting modes, just like the Minis do. I find it a much better system, and a lot more durable. The mode dial on consumer grade cameras is the first thing to get roughed up.

The only thing that makes the mode button system of the E-PM1 cumbersome for me is a byproduct of its limited buttons. Because it only has 1 Fn button I need to access MySets to change the button setup when I swap between different types of lenses. Because the Mode selection is tied in with the Menu selections, that causes an extra step. As I said though, that is only a byproduct of a design flaw elsewhere. The actual digital mode button and exclusion of a mode dial is in my opinion a good thing, just as it was on the pro-grade bodies. I think you're just not used to it.

I would love to see them replace Mode dials with Mode buttons on all the models, but it would be better as a separate button not tied in with anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I recently went from an E-PL1 to an E-PM1. The thing that bothered me the most on the E-PL1 was the stupid time the camera needed in between photos before it was ready for the next. I'm not sure if the E-PL2 is any faster to write the images.

The lack of buttons is a little awkward, but I'm really using the E-PM1 as a better-than-point-and-shoot, secondary to my OMD.

12. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I think I did read that it had more autofocus points. Glad to here you were happy with the switch.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you are correct that the E-PL1 is definitely slower than the E-PM1 but the E-PL2 is also faster than the E-PL1. The E-PL1 still had E-P1/2 class operation speeds, and the E-PL2 was the first to break out of that mold.

So I doubt nuclearboy would notice a difference in operation speed from his E-PL2.

14. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I did have the E-PL1 and moved up to the E-PL2 which I do like a little better and it is faster to operate in general.

The focusing speed and occasional missed focus is the main operational issue I have with the E-PL2. I typically use a relatively small focusing block and make sure I focus on what I want before shooting.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah yes, focusing speed was one of the improvements in the E-PM1's generation. However, whether or not you'll notice the difference really depends on your lens and its ability to keep up... but if the lens can keep up (ie, like R-series glass) then the E-PM1 is the faster focusing body.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well my main cameras are a pair of D700's so I knew pretty much all of the Pens would be a challenge to get use to using. But I shot an event as a parent and not a pro last weekend. It was a little more challenging keeping up with pace than I would have liked (video, manual mode, Pan OS lens, non OS lens, etc). It would have been nice to have just a few more buttons/control points. So as long as Chris takes that into account he should be fine.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In what way are you expecting the e-pM1 to improve your lot?
    I use both : ask me anything.

18. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Great,
    Thanks for the help.

1. Size matters. That is the reason I am using M43 in the first place. Next month I will be biking around in the Netherlands near Amsterdam and I will have gear with me. So, I am hoping that this smaller form factor would be helpful.

2. I assume from the hype that the E-PM1 will focus faster and maybe have a little faster operation in general.

3. And maybe the most important.... the excitement of a new toy and the joy of using it for some time ( until the next new toy is desired). I can usually control this but since I am seeing the E-PM1 for 200 and assuming I can sell my E-PL2 for slightly less, I see it as cheap entertainment for the hobbyist photographer. I definitely don't see the E-PM1 as a long term solution for me and will probably move to a body with upgraded features in a year or two.

I don't expect your help on number 3, I need a therapist for that. Any comments on 1 or 2 would be great..

Thanks

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    1.Size. The e-pM1 was SO small and slippery I had to add two grips. The e-pL2 is a perfect size for using. The e-pM1 is a perfect size for being small and light.
    2. The e-pM1 focuses SLIGHTLY faster with newer lenses but I believe the e-pL2 is almost there : my e-pL2 I use with the Sigma 30mm for FAST and reliable indoor focusing and bounce flash. The e-pM1 is BETTER for flashless indoor whitebalance.
    3. New toy action : art-filter bracketing! Dramatic tone! = normal picture, grungy tonemap, sepia B&W all from one shot. Nice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I ordered the E-PM1

I thank everyone for the comments. I think it is worth it to at least try the E-PM1 out. I ordered one of the 199 deals from the hot deals link. I plan on taking it on my next two trips (this month and next) which should give me plenty of time to try it out. After that I can either sell either the E-PL2 or the E-PM1 if I don't like it, or I could convince my wife that I picked it up for her all along and keep both.... Either way, I think this will be good fun and I look forward to exploring Amsterdam with it next month.

Should I expect the kit lens to be any improvement over the kit lens from my E-PL2?