Considering discontinuation of Tapatalk support at Mu-43.com

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't really understand why people would want to view a site dedicated to photos on a tiny screen? Just the non-photo, gear etc. threads misses more than half the value IMHO

arch stanton

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malc
The website works just fine on my android tablet/phone - no reason to use tapatalk here and happy to ditch another app ;)

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
Amin,

Thought I point this out. This comment is for you and the site. As I said before, you won't lose me, but my habits will change.

Recall that I said in my initial post that I liked having all of my forums in one, convenient place.

Note that among the pro Tapatalk posts, convenience was mentioned often. I think that's a window into a point for your evaluation. Tapatalk isn't used by most because they need it to view a site. It's used because active forum users appreciate its convenience. It becomes part of their process. Removing the forum from Tapatalk in essence removes Tapatalk from their routine. I personally have chosen one forum over another based upon its Tapatalk availability. I have become a less frequent user of a forum or two that left the Tapatalk world as if out-of-sight-out-of-mind applied. I guess it did. All that I've used that abounded Tapatalk for a time eventually brought it back. I don't know, but can only assume that activity decreased without it as no administrator ever seems in favor of the extra layer and expense.

In observation elsewhere, those who are looking for equipment reviews, actively learning about a topic stayed active. The forums started to lose the presence of active, experienced users. As a result the quality of advice and Q&A diminished and the site became less valuable to the more experienced folks.

So as you eval, consider these impacts. Ultimately, Tapatalk seems to promote growth and activity. I think it's become a standard that's hard to be without.

The busier forums don't seem able to be outside the Tapatalk world. Must be a reason. So I think ultimately the decision will effect you the most.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Wow, I never knew Tapatalk meant so much to people. Like I said, i don't like it. Personally I don't see how it gets more convenient than putting a shortcut to the forum on your desktop or homescreen. The only quibble I would have about continuing Tapatalk support would be security issues, no one needs those in this day and age.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Never used Tapatalk myself. Just use the old app or website to access on my phone. If I'm doing anything on my phone it's just catching up on the sample gallery images or buy/sell, not posting threads.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I use tapatalk for several forums. ...
It wouldn't be trivial to eliminate it.
My two cents.
Like I said, you wouldn't lose me specifically, but my pattern would change...
The busier forums don't seem able to be outside the Tapatalk world. Must be a reason. So I think ultimately the decision will effect you the most.
I guess that six cents now. I think you've made your point, Rob. :026:

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
My aging eyes cannot use my iPhone except in emergencies to check email. I do almost everything on my ipad, so eliminating this would not effect me at all.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Just trying to help Amin out. Thanks for the derogatory and condescending comment. There's always one.
You've definitely been helpful! Can you please PM me with the name of any sites you recall that got rid of Tapatalk and brought it back again? I'd be interested to see if I can learn from them directly.

I have learned over the years that those who prefer Tapatalk often have strong feelings about it.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Just trying to help Amin out. Thanks for the derogatory and condescending comment. There's always one.
There was no intention to be derogatory and I apologize if you felt my comment was condescending.

I was merely pointing out that (at least from my perspective) your three posts each said more or less the same thing. I got the impression that you were trying to "win" the argument simply by volume. I was also attempting to inject a tiny bit of mirth (perhaps unsuccessfully).

As I stated previously I don't really have a dog in this fight, so I'll leave it there.

weeman

Mu-43 Rookie
I use Tapatalk for the convenience of browsing forums one click for Tapatalk then one more for any of 8 photo sites I use. There was a problem with an upgrade but I went back to the older edition and all is well. I would not be lost to the site but would not check in as often as I do (lurker) up to 5 times a day. Just my 3 cents worth. Nexus 5 & 7 android.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I like Tapatalk on my Nexus 4 mainly for notifications, but I also like its interface. I would still participate without Tapatalk support, but maybe not quite as often.

In general, it's not a huge deal for me either way, though, so if it's a big security risk, I obviously understand your concern.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
I have learned over the years that those who prefer Tapatalk often have strong feelings about it.
I really don't have strong feelings about it. Just from a practical perspective, it's nice to have everything in one place. And my usage habits tend to reflect that.

Other than retaining users, you should consider recruiting new. Many find forums by searching Tapatalk's directory. Some will only use a forum that they can access from it. Those who don't like Tapatalk don't boycott sites that use it.

So it's all upside if its value to you offsets the resource cost.

Sites that stopped and restored. I don't recall specifically. It's been a long time. Likely one of the Planted Aquarium forums, but certainly one of these five.

The planted tank
Aquatic plant central
Th Barr Report
The Hackers Paradise ( golf )
One of the BMW forums, 1addicts I think.

The Planted Tank and The Hackers Paradise are high activity sites that had, may still have a lot of growth. They may have stats on Tapatalk's value.

The Barr Report is a low-activity, high expertise site that either discontinued, or had tech challenges with Tapatalk, I don't recall which, but ultimately continued to support it.

Hopefully you can get some useful insight from these folks. It's all about cost/benefit.

Best.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom