Considering discontinuation of Tapatalk support at

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm thinking about ending Tapatalk support on this site.

Tapatalk has had several security issues in the past and could compromise our site security. Their registration method provides an easy entry point for spammers. Their support is basically terrible. Their software often gives me server errors, and Google sends me warnings that Tapatalk is doing things that could compromise our search rankings for mobile.

I know that some members use Tapatalk and will hate to see it go. I used to use it also. But now that our site software provides a good alternative for mobile, I think Tapatalk support is probably not a good idea.

For those who aren't aware, it's easy to add a shortcut to our site from any mobile device:
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    I use tapatalk for several forums. I don't use its registration feature though since it remembers my logins just fine. I see no need.

It wouldn't be trivial to eliminate it. The new web view does work fine, but not for smartphones. From my iPhone, Tapatalk is far superior. 70% of my forum activity is via Tapatalk. I would miss it quite a bit. You wouldn't lose me, but my activity would decrease, as my personal time on big screens is jus a fraction of my smartphone use.

My two cents.
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Rob, what do you like better about Tapatalk? I use an iPhone as well and find the website to be far superior on that device.
  4. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Same here, I use Tapatalk for a couple of forums too. Would really hate to see it go.
    On my Android there's really no problem, I'm even using an old version of the Tapatalk app.
  5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    My opinion is Tapatalk sucks.. I had it but not for me.. Lots of problems especially trying to use it on multiple devices.. I would ditch it if I were you..
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Hi Amin,

I find it easier to view in Tapatalk on a small screen. Easy to navigate, easy to read.

The other benefit is that all of my forums are in one place with common navigation. It's just convenient and fast to move around. Important when I'm stealing a few minutes here and there.

I've never had a problem with tapatalk on any of my iOS devices, so it's never been anything but useful to me. I have observed on other, very active forums, that when they have shut tapatalk down, participation suffered and thy brought it back. I guess there are just a lot of tapatalk users that use it as their primary forum interface. When a forum drops out, they just don't visit through other vehicles as often.

Like I said, you wouldn't lose me specifically, but my pattern would change. I fully understand wanting to simplify your administrative life. I appreciate the site.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't use Tapatalk on my Android phone anymore. I don't like how it's been updated and prefer the old Mu-43 app. Mobile web version, it's good too.
  8. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Never updated mine, still on version 2.4.15. New version looks really bad.
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The forum works fine on IE with Windows phone.
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Works good on Safari, Chrome and Opera on my apple and android phones and tablets. Never used tapatalk and never felt the need.
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bumping for more input
  12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Agree, I too miss the app but find the new forum software easy to use and navigate on my iPhone. I had just started using Tapatalk when they updated and quickly grew to dislike it.
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I do still use Tapatalk, but find that the new forum software renders the site just fine and could be used just fine as is.

The only reason I still use Tapatalk is to have all the forums in one place, but for me that is not that big a deal. I could go either way with it, but if it is causing added maintenance then I'd vote for eliminating the Tapatalk support.
  14. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    I don't use Tapatalk, the forum works just fine on the iPhone 6+.
  15. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    I just prefer all my forums at one place and it's a preferred choice for me to browse forums. I wouldn't want to have a dedicated forum app for every forum I am active on. I do not have any problems with Tapatalk on any of my Nexus devices.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I use Tapatalk for various forums. It's nice to have everything consolidated into one app. While mu-43 looks fine on Safari on my iPhone 6+, some forums do not.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I personally hate tapatalk. I'd much rather have a forum be properly mobile friendly.

With that said, I haven't really run into a forum that was designed well for small screens (this certainly is a lot better than the old forum). I mean, it works, but apps have the edge with larger/clearer navigation. So I see the appeal to it. But the security aspect is one big factor in my dislike for tapatalk (or so I've read, but not sure if that has improved... sounds like it hasn't much).
  18. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Hi Amin,

Obviously those who use Tapatalk are going to be more vocal in a thread like this (and rightly so, since they'll be the ones impacted). I'll just add myself as a voice who doesn't care one way or the other. I've used Tapatalk (Android) in the past, but find that since the move to XenForo that the browser experience is just fine on either a phone or tablet. I don't know anything about the security concerns associated with Tapatalk, but if they are real then I would suggest discontinuing.
  19. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL

If there are any security issues then Tapatalk should be abandoned with absolutly no further questions asked. No amount of convenience or utility is worth the loss of security, period.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    I'm ok either way. I like the way you've set up the site for mobile. The only thing I like better about Tapatalk is that it leaves me logged in. Using Safari, I have to log in every time even when I tell it to keep me logged in. You obviously have to do what you have to do for the site, but I would hate to see a change that would cause a significant drop in traffic or participation.