1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Considering a VF-4 for my E-M1.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Anyone tried this combo?

Any pictures and any insights gratefully received.

TIA.

DiW

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I would ask why since they are effectively the same EVF?

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya seems like a redundant pairing. What purpose would the VF-4 serve that isn't already served by the built in EVF? I guess being able to tilt the VF-4 up could have its advantages if you are shooting low to the ground, but you could also switch the back LCD and tilt that up as well.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yeah another vote for why?

is it even possible?

K

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    It is possible :biggrin:

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Not entirely unrelated: I just aquired a VF-2 and it is a very great deal better than the two VF-3s I already have. I'm told the VF-4 is closer to the VF-3 than the VF-2 in resolution and rendition. If you're going to do this, you may wish to take that into account.

Apart from that, I have to echo the puzzlement about the idea.

:hmmm:

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    As to why. The VF-4 tilts up and is much nicer for low shots than using the LCD, especially in bright light.
    I used it with an E-M5 which would seem equally silly.
    Now I would not go out and buy one just for that, but mine came with an E-P5...
    Rudy

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    No, you have been misinformed.
    The VF-4 has much higher resolution than both the Vf-2 and VF-3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks. That's very useful to know.
    :2thumbs:

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The reason is as described above.

11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    /Snarky answer on

VF4 - $210 (used)
    GX7 - $430 (used) - or, tilting EVF for $210, attached to a camera for an additional $220

/Snarky answer off

I have both an E-M1 and the GX7, and really do like the tilting viewfinder.

12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I just had the chance to hold my E-P5/V-F4 combo next to an EM5II. I switched back and forth many times to get a feel for the camera. The V-F4 seemed to give a bigger, brighter, and clearer view IMO. Just my 2 cents.

At the same time, I had a GM5 to switch back and forth with. The Viewfinder in the GM5 was so tiny I could not get used to it after using the VF-4 for so long.

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The VF-4 is bigger than the E-M1 optically, but shares the same panel and resolution. It's just more magnified optically.

14. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This is exactly why I couldn't buy the GM5. I have used the VF-4 on the E-PM1 and now E-PM2 and I could not use the GM-5 EVF it was too much of a step back.

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I also got the VF-4 with my E-P5 and couldn't adjust to the tiny viewfinder of the GM5 so I sold the GM5 (also missed tilting LCD). My E-M1 will be here next week and I could easily imagine on a bright sunny day outdoors the tiltable VF-4 could be quite handy shooting macro even though it might look strange. We amateur photographers should care more about function than appearance although I freely admit that I too prefer a handsome (professional looking) camera body. :coffee-30:
    Bobby

16. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I have a VF-2 from my E-P2 and I used it on the E-M5 for various funny angle macro shots - works a treat, and also kind of works for waist view - at least to check focus. What makes a huge difference though - external EVF or not - is the bigger rubber hood; this is usually my first purchase with a new camera. And not that it makes a technical difference, but the camera looks more "pro" (haha) with the bigger hood. Absolute must have for shooting in bright light. My eyes always hurt if I squint for too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I wish Olympus offered a bigger eyecup for the VF-4. I miss the big eyecup on the VF-2!
    Bobby :coffee-30: