1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Considering a VF-2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobertS, May 18, 2013.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm considering acquiring a VF-2 for my E-PL2. The main purpose would be for better non-reflective viewing of potential shots before tripping the shutter. Will this device satisfy that need? Or will the lack of image quality due to the sunny day, still be present? And if so, are there any alternatives offering and even a better view (than from the reflected LCD)?

2. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Most definitely. When I first got my camera, I was surprised at how difficult it was to see the back screen in bright sunlight, and VF-2 solved that issue pretty well. So good that it stays on my camera at all times. I've been using a VF-2 with me E-PL2 and it is a fantastic combo, you will not regret it.

3. The reason that you describe wanting the VF-2 for is just about the only reason to get an eye-level viewfinder, so it sounds perfect for your needs.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I've got one mounted on an EPL-1 and find it quite useful - to the point of being mandatory. I find I get a steadier hold on the camera (not having to hold the camera out in front of me to view the screen) and there are zero problems with reflections.

There is a thread on the VF-2 vs VF-3 here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/settling-issue-vf-2-vs-vf-3-i-just-got-both-today-38882/

I've not tried the VF-3, so I cannot give first hand knowledge.

HTH

Jim

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    It will transform the use of your E-PL 2 - once you have it you wont want to be without one !!
    Regards
    Rob

6. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I never take my camera with out it

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Excellent piece of kit, I bought one for my LX7, only trouble is the cost.

It cost 61% of what the LX7 cost, here in rip-off UK that is.

8. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    The VF-2 is exactly what you need and it's perfect to tote around with you just in case. Works great with my e-p3. Mine came with a little felt case and I keep it on my camera strap for fast access.

9. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Wow!! A unanimous decision. How rare is that these days?
    Thanks all. I'll be getting one of these soon. Can also use it on my Oly XZ-1.

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    That would have been an LVF-2 - Similar Panasonic Product for their GX1 and LX7 cameras - not to be confused with the Olympus VF-2 for PEN and XZ1 etc
    Regards
    Rob

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Get one! You will love it. I find it has very good resolution and the video lag is not very noticeable. I have found two situations where it doesn't perform real well. The first is in low light situations, it has a fair amount of noise. The other is when the sky is very bright in your shot{shooting towards or near the sun}. It tends to not show the correct dynamic range. In other words it looks like the sky is fully blown but if you take the shot it isn't, it is just in the VF.

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  13. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Hope you enjoy it!

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  15. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    If you have mainly use camera's with built-in viewfinders in the past do it! That was the first item I bought for my E-P3. :smile:

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Adding some counterpoint. I own both the VF2 and VF3, and got the latter for one of the recent $99 USD sales. It's not worth $179, Neither is the VF2 worth $249. Wait for a sale on either.

I find the VF3 still useable with its smaller view, cheaper, and it won't fall off like my first VF2.

With the release of the VF4, perhaps Oly will discontinue either the VF2 or VF3. There is high expense in selling three ranges of EVF.

17. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought a vf-2 for my epl5 back in January when it was $169 w rebate, thinking I would use it occasionally, hasn't come off the camera since! Seriously the only time I use the LCD now is with a tripod, when composing below eye-level landscapes and still life's.

Vf-2 is a great viewfinder resolution, colors and performance are very close to OM-D vf. The only thing I don't like about vf-2 is lack of a lock button, mainly a concern when pulling camera out of bag, but I haven't lost it yet. Thought of electrical taping it on somehow, play with that one of these days.