Considering a switch

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 9, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an EPL-1 with a VF2, Panasonic 14-45 and 20. I find that I'm not entirely satisfied with the slow focus speed of the 20 on the EPL-1 (love the results however). I've heard it performs better on the Panasonic bodies.

I'm considering switching to a GF-1 body. I realize that I'd lose the VF2 and the IBIS but the 20 doesn't need IBIS, the 14-45 has it built into the lens and I find that I like the GF-1's layout and UI better so I'm sure I could adapt to the loss of the VF2 (and I've seen the Panasonic version and it's not even close to the same quality). I'm not really interested in the GF-2 (don't care for the touch screen) and the larger bodies are...well...too big. I don't hate the EPL-1. I'm thinking this will be more of a lateral move. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Any advice?

2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I do however have a bunch of legacy glass so the IBIS is definitely a plus for that.
  3. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    lots of folks seem to be of the opinion oly jpegs are nicer than those from panasonic. if you shoot in raw this may not be an issue.
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Not being an Oly shooter, I can't speak to the Oly cameras, and I don't bother with JPGs, myself, so the JPG comparison isn't important to me. I have no doubt that you can make comparable images with either platform. I do know the GF1 and I love it! And in spite of the fact that the EVF has much lower resolution than the Oly version, the Panny EVF is relatively economical to buy, serves well for composition (it's primary purpose, really) and is significantly smaller. And I do think you really should have the EFV for either camera.

You can always add a GF1 body to your present kit and then ease your transition gently. I have no doubt that you will love the GF1 and the Panny user interface.
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am very tempted. I have no doubt the UI and button layout is much better. Image wise I see them as very close with the Olympus JPEG engine being a bit better and RAW being the same. I think because my lenses are the Panasonic 20 and 14-45 I might be better served my a Panasonic body.

That thumbwheel for changing aperture is really a big deal for me.
  6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    If you appreciate the great benefits of RAW capture and aren't limited to only capturing in JPG, then I'd say the GF1 may meet your needs (UI and controls) even better than the E-PL1. Sounds like you should pick up a GF1 while you can readily get one. It's sure to be a classic that will remain in demand for some time to come.
  7. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    I would not say the ibis is not needed on the 20 1.7. I have been able to shoot down at 1/6 sec with ibis in low light with ibis without camera shake at f2 or wider.

The 20 1.7 does not really focus that fast on the panny body really, and you will not get msc lens focus speed. I have shot the 20 1.7 on a gf1 if it did af faster the the pen body. It is so close that you will not really notice the different. And as a dslr shooter, the panny and the oly are slow compare dslr AF speed.

Determine if the gains with the swap is really worth what you will give. If you are looking at a g or gf camera. You will not get as good high iso performance with a g or gf camera. If you are a jpeg shooter, you will loose the better jpeg engine. If you shoot raw it is all about your workflow and edit skill. And if you want to add a all in 1 lens, the 14-150 is 300 less then the 14-140HD.

8. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    As you're already aware, the only real drawback is the lack of image stabilisation with your pancake lens in bad light. You'll also produce blown highlights more often. It's an excellent camera otherwise though and I find it a great deal easier to hold and handle than my E-P1, which has too many buttons and dials, and insufficient grip for me. Olympus colour generally is more pleasing to the eye, but you can turn it into anything you like with your raw processing. I don't actually agree that either of the lenses work better on Panasonic bodies, apart from the focussing speed.
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    All good points. It looks like I might be better off keeping the EPL-1 and dealing with its shortcomings (both cameras have them just in different areas) than making a lateral move.

Thanks for helping me think this through a bit.
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I made the switch awhile ago when I was disappointed with the focus speed on the Oly. I LOVE the snappiness of the Panasonic and find the UI much easier to use. Having said that, there are things I miss about the Oly. I may look for a secondhand body so I can have the best of both worlds. If your budget allows it, I would do the same. There seems to be a steady stream of used bodies since they're always coming out with new cameras.
  11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Doh. Don't switch, but adapt. In buying emergency ? Rush to wait: a year from now, Pan an Oly will be as close to each other as Nikanons, plus the shared lens mount.
  12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Plenty of good advice on this thread.

I owned the EP 1 and the GF1 at the same time. I knew when I started to clear out the DSLR stuff that I'd eventually want two bodies anyway. thought I'd provide myself with a one person comparo..

I used both for about a month, then decided the GF1 body more suited my taste ergonomically, and menu wise it seemed more intuitive "to me", not everyone else.

I found the 20mm on the GF1 body just seemed a perfect fit, in every way, "for me". Once I'd decided, I sold the EP 1 and bought a G1 so as to attain my goal of two bodies.

I don't have a single negative thing to say on the Oly body or kit lens.. it was really nice, and some family members and friends preferred it to the GF1 for look and feel. Ultimately though, it was I who had to be comfortable. So I made the switch to an all Panasonic kit, save for legacy glass.

I'm very very happy with the choice I made, but as someone else here says in their siggy... your milage may vary..

If you like the rock hard feel and look of the GF1, try it. Buy a body as someone else here suggested, and if you aren't happy it'll sell in a New York minute...

Cheers, Alan
  13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If faster focus is your objective (slow focus you objection) ... then switch. There isn't any alternatives to remedy slow focus. There are alternatives/remedies for lack of IBIS, i.e. higher ISO, faster lenses, practice slow shutter shooting skills. While none of the alternatives is a 100% replacement for IBIS, they will help. Nothing can help slow focus. remember that IBIS is useful only in certain situations, faster focus is useful in nearly all situations.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The GF1 is a really fine camera and shoots awesome jpegs, if you take the time to set up your camera for in-camera processing and don't just go with the defaults. My guess is that they are better than the Oly, unless you can fine tune the Oly as well as you can the Panasonic. The jpegs are so good, in fact, that after shooting RAW for six months I was able to give up RAW entirely, and don't bother with them anymore - ever.

The LVF1 is fine for composition and I now leave it on the camera all the time.

With the GF1 I have the 14, 20, and Pan/Lieca 45, and the kit is terrifc and just looks and feels like a classic.
  16. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Just a quick question, it the epl-1 up on the latest firmware.