Considering a return to Mu43 - Olympus EM5ii or something else?

selway89

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James Selway
Hi All,

It has been a while since I was last here.

As the title suggests I am considering coming back to micro four thirds, mainly for freeing some cash up from my Fuji XT3 setup that is not getting the use I imagined out of it.
But still would like a capable stills camera.

I have in the past had Panasonic bodies, the G3 and a G7 with mostly panasonic lenses.

But there is something about the EM5ii that I really like.
Like how it can be built up with a grip if needed or slimmed down for casual use etc.
Occasionally I shoot still product photos for work so the high res mode is appealing as well as being stablised for adapted lenses I dabble with from time to time.

My main querry is how does the EM5ii and the P20mm f1.7 work together.
I have heard of banding but can't quite tell how serious this is, or was this an EM5i issue only?
I have really grown fond of the 40mm equiv focal length.

Is there any other things I should consider, older tech is not an issue and keeps costs down.

Many thanks

James

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
I've seen the banding effect on my GX80 + P20. From that I can guess:

If you shoot AF-S it won't be a problem with any camera, even Olympus. The problem is caused by the autofocus motors so when they're active (AF-C or manual) they can cause that noisy interference.

selway89

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James Selway
I've seen the banding effect on my GX80 + P20. From that I can guess:

If you shoot AF-S it won't be a problem with any camera, even Olympus. The problem is caused by the autofocus motors so when they're active (AF-C or manual) they can cause that noisy interference.
Ah thank you Mike,

Very rarely shoot with AF-C so shouldn't be an issue.

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I started with a GX80 and moved up to the G7.
Although I found it much nice to handle and shoot with - good grip and central viewfinder,
it is on the slightly bulky side.
I bought an E-M10 Mk3 as a second camera and fell in love with the whole Olympus ethos.
So much so that I've now got two E-M5 mk2 bodies and have just sold the G7.

I can therefore only recommend you go the same way. ;)

Real Name
Chris
I had the EM5-mkii for some time and I have had a P20 even longer. I don't use it as much as it deserves but my experience with it has been great and I have never had the banding issue. Perhaps I don't shoot in situations where it is prevalent but that is my 2 cents.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I started with a GX80 and moved up to the G7.
Although I found it much nice to handle and shoot with - good grip and central viewfinder,
it is on the slightly bulky side.
I bought an E-M10 Mk3 as a second camera and fell in love with the whole Olympus ethos.
So much so that I've now got two E-M5 mk2 bodies and have just sold the G7.

I can therefore only recommend you go the same way. ;)
When I changed to mainly 4/3rds I wanted to M1 MkII, but getting one in my hands wasn't possible in Hastings where I live. So I allowed myself to be talked into the Panasonic G9 even although I felt it was too big for my hands. I liked the features, but as time went on size annoyed me. Recently I saw one well priced and grabbed it - Perfect for me.

I also picked up an M5 cheap, and liked that so much that I upgraded to M5 MkII, and luckily have sold the M5.

I have hardly used the M1 MkII since i had the M5 MkII with Oly 12 -40 f2.8.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
I would go with the EM5 MKiii. The EM5 MKii has a better feel to it in some ways but the EM5 MKiii is lighter and has a better sensor (20MP vs 16MP). There was a EM5 MKii at our local Best Buy store that sat there forever. Right after the announcement of the Olympus sale, I went down to Best Buy. The camera was finally sold! I ended up buying the EM5 MKiii. I think this worked out for the best for me, even though the MKiii cost a few hundred dollars more (even on sale). I later found out that the EM5 MKii used a different battery than my other Olympus bodies. (I have a thing about keeping my batteries uniform.)

jk4u59

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
Hi All,

It has been a while since I was last here.

As the title suggests I am considering coming back to micro four thirds, mainly for freeing some cash up from my Fuji XT3 setup that is not getting the use I imagined out of it.
But still would like a capable stills camera.

I have in the past had Panasonic bodies, the G3 and a G7 with mostly panasonic lenses.

But there is something about the EM5ii that I really like.
Like how it can be built up with a grip if needed or slimmed down for casual use etc.
Occasionally I shoot still product photos for work so the high res mode is appealing as well as being stablised for adapted lenses I dabble with from time to time.

I have heard of banding but can't quite tell how serious this is, or was this an EM5i issue only?
I have really grown fond of the 40mm equiv focal length.

Is there any other things I should consider, older tech is not an issue and keeps costs down.

Many thanks

James
Hi James,

I'm an happy owner of the E-M5 Mk.II and don't want any other body: light but robust, elegant, water sealed... perfect. I already had two Lumix zooms, the 14-42 mm Mega-OIS and the 45-200 Power-OIS, and the camera manages them both perfectly. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Lumix 20mm you mentioned, so I cannot say anything about its possible issues.

I only warn you in case you are attracted by the internal Focus Stacking feature of this camera (as I was...): take care of the (short) list of the compatible lenses! They must be Zuiko, must be PRO (apart the couple of Zuiko macro lenses), and... only a few ones among those:
I bought the Zuiko 12-45 F4 PRO and I was quite disappointed when I discovered that it's not supported! (note that it instead works fine on the more recent E-M5 Mk.III)

I read there are "unofficial" patches to the Mk.II'srelease that unlock this feature (they can be found and downloaded easily), but I must admit I don't trust to burn them, at least until the camera warranty is valid.

But, apart for this, a great camera indeed!

Regards,
Ivan
(Milan, Italy)

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I would go with the EM5 MKiii. The EM5 MKii has a better feel to it in some ways but the EM5 MKiii is lighter and has a better sensor (20MP vs 16MP). There was a EM5 MKii at our local Best Buy store that sat there forever. Right after the announcement of the Olympus sale, I went down to Best Buy. The camera was finally sold! I ended up buying the EM5 MKiii. I think this worked out for the best for me, even though the MKiii cost a few hundred dollars more (even on sale). I later found out that the EM5 MKii used a different battery than my other Olympus bodies. (I have a thing about keeping my batteries uniform.)
The EM5.II uses the same battery as the other main Oly's . . .

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh, E-M5 and the 20/1.7, when I first bought in to the system it was with just this combo! Really like it, I did like you mentioned also, bought a grip to it. Then it suddenly feels like a whole other camera and can handle large lenses without problems. I thought the E-M5 was kinda limiting nowadays so I bought myself a Mk III a few months ago, what a difference! It has really become, like someone here wrote "the pinnacle of the system". But the Mk II is not far behind. Great camera this!

_A111128.jpg

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
The EM5.II uses the same battery as the other main Oly's . . .
I checked this out on Olympus' battery compatibility chart and the EM5 II takes a BLN-1, whereas the EM5 III takes a BLS-50. Most newer Olympus cameras use the BLS-50, except (as noted above) for the EM1 II and III and the EM1x. These higher end cameras use the BLH-1.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
I definitely liked my 5.2 when I had it! The 5.3 would be the only way to go for me since I can’t stand the hates sunglasses EVF that Olympus insisted on putting in this and the other higher end cameras. Otherwise no real gripes. Such a solid little camera. Feels like an original OM film camera!

jk4u59

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
...Feels like an original OM film camera!
Yes, I fully subscribe!

I had an Olympus OM-1N and an OM-2SP long time ago (I still have them, but the last film I loaded into could be... 15 years ago?), and the feeling is just that one! :thumbsup:

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
I have the EM5 mkii and Panasonic 20mm, which I use frequently. I have never noticed banding issues.

Not saying the issue does not exist, but it must only appear in very specific circumstances.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Many thanks
James
The P20 /1.7 focuses a little slower on Olympus cameras than it does on a Panasonic cameras. (I did some quick focus speed checks with the latest 20/1.7 version II lens on a GX9 & E-M5II, and it isn't a snappy focusing lens on either camera.) One of the significant things about the E-M5II is that it's very well weather sealed and has a robust build.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The P20 /1.7 focuses a little slower on Olympus cameras than it does on a Panasonic cameras. (I did some quick focus speed checks with the latest 20/1.7 version II lens on a GX9 & E-M5II, and it isn't a snappy focusing lens on either camera.) One of the significant things about the E-M5II is that it's very well weather sealed and has a robust build.
But the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 isn't sealed. Other pro lenses are sealed, but if you are only using the 20mm, being splash proof doesn't matter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom