Considering a move from an SLR

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gopack471, Apr 15, 2011.

1. gopack471

gopack471 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Apologies if this has been discussed before. I tried a search but "SLR" gets dropped as a keyword.

I shoot for my school paper, and primarily use a Canon 7d. I have what I'd consider an extensive collection of lenses for a college student's budget. I own a 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8 (Sigma), 28-135, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8, along with a flash. I almost always use my SLR for events that I cover for the paper. However, last summer I picked up an EPL1 as a walkaround camera, and I love it. I find myself grabbing the EPL1 for everything that's not an event that needs coverage for the paper, including photography that I do for fun (the best kind:smile:)

I'd like to hear from anybody who's moved from an SLR system to micro 4/3. Because I find myself using the Oly EPL1 so often, I'm seriously considering selling all the Canon gear when I graduate and using exclusively micro 4/3. I don't intend to pursue photography as a career, simply a hobby. I'd be able to generate over $4000 from the sale of my Canon gear, and I was thinking of using that to purchase an Oly 14-140 and a Panny 20/1.7 (hope I got those right) in addition to the 14-42 I have now, and putting quite a bit of cash back in my bank account. While the EPL1 isn't my ideal body, I'd be more than happy with it until some new micro 4/3 body comes along that really grabs me. The live view doesn't bother too much. The thing I miss most is actually the control wheel (I know this is available on other bodies). If you've made the switch from an SLR to micro 4/3, I'd like to hear what you think about it. Do you miss the extended controls/features of an SLR like the 7d?

TL;DR - Thinking of dropping SLR for micro 4/3 and would like input

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I love the epl-1 and have a pretty nice kit now for it 14-42, 45-200, 14-150, 20 1.7 and 4/3 35 3.5 macro. It has become my favorite travel camera. But there are still things that the evil can not shot as well, plan spotting, birds in flight, sports, low light shooting and long exposure low light, aps-c and FF are way better at.

So I have my big canon kit for the things I like that my epl-1 kit can not cover. If you shoot any of the mention stuff, if you try to do it with a m4/3 it will fall short.

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well yea sports photography and fast action is best with an SLR
    but
    Mine does OK.
    lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Soundimageplus is a forum member and pro photographer, and he published one or two pieces on the subject on his blog : Soundimageplus
    From memory, they were balanced and informative...

• Like Like x 1
  5. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    I did this very recently. Shot w/ a 5D2 + 35L + 135L + other gear, typically some editorial stuff & did a lot of model shoots (not glamour).

I used to discount m4/3 as an awkward compromise — still too big to fit in your pocket, so why bother? — and I was pretty comfortable with the 5D2's heft. But it's not commute friendly, and my new job means I have less time for model shoots and more time for day-to-day editorial/travel stuff. I began to appreciate size/weight a lot more, and being able to take a camera & laptop with me everyday (that weigh less in total than my 5D2 kit) feels like a luxury.

Bought a GF1 + 20 f1.7 kit (which I had to track down), and am about to buy a Voigtlander 35 f1.4 as my portrait lens, since I still get asked to do the odd shoot now and then. Have been very happy with the results, and sure, the high ISO & DR don't touch the 5D2 (hardly unexpected, on price alone) — but the 20 f1.7 was surprising. It renders so similarly to my old 35L, and the RAW files on the GF1 are great. Not as much push/pull as a 5D2, but certainly comparable to the files from a 550D.

In short? Very happy with the results. You really (really) have to nail the exposures, since there's less room for error, and the UI (esp. deleting RAW files) can be a bit sluggish at times, but other than that, it's a great modern-day rangefinder.

• Like Like x 1
  6. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I gave up my Nikon D200 setup with similar lens to go to E-PL2. I didn't do much action photography so no big miss there... I miss the fast zoom lens, dedicated ISO button/dial, focus assist. I love the size/weight (its no longer an event to take my camera), jpeg quality and video options. I have also rediscovered manual focusing with my Nikkor 50mm 1.8 been kinda cool, so I would keep the 50mm 1.4 if I were you until M43 releases a fast 50mm. Overall I am glad I made the change... and I carry my camera a lot more.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. gopack471

gopack471 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the input. Saw one post on the soundimageplus link (great link btw) that reminded me of how I've been thinking about my camera situation recently: My 7d is a tool and my EPL1 is a toy. It was a sad day for me when I realized my camera had turned into a tool for work, and I want to get back to it being a "toy" haha. What it's coming down to for me is that the things I'd miss giving up an SLR aren't worth the huge amount of money I have invested in the system, so at some point in the future I will probably be making the move to exclusively micro 4/3

8. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    I'm shopping for :43: kit at the moment, and will be selling my Canon 30D and lenses to finance it. I'm purely a hobbyist though; with a 9-month old I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to have time for photography for years to come, so I may as well have something convenient that I can lift in one hand while the baby's in the other arm : ) The 30D is pretty ancient at this stage though, and wouldn't offer the same low light performance as newer DSLRs, so it's not as much of a compromise for me as for others.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I like to use zooms at events. I typically have a 16-50 F2.8 on one dlsr (Pentax) body and a 50-135 F2.8 on another dSLR. I've sold one, so at the last event I brought along the GH2 with the 20 F1.7 along with the Pentax K-x with the 50-135. It worked out great, each providing good shots within there respective focal lengths. I couldn't do the same thing with two GH2s simply because fast M43 zooms do not exist.

If you shoot primes, the GH2 may be up to the task for all but sports - the viewfinder blackout being the biggest issue.

Good luck!

10. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I sold my 40D Quickly after I got my G2, and feel great about it. still working on selling off my EF Lenses.

BK

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why can't you use the EPL1 for your "work" shots?

Just something to think about ...

12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    They're both 'tools' IMO - whether you use them for work or for fun. Pick the best one that fits what you want to get out of it. You may find that, at least for the moment until the m4/3 system matures, you may want to keep both systems for the occasion when your 7D is the better tool. At the very least you could sell some of your un-used Canon lenses (not very practical to be used on your m4/3 system anyway) to get you some cash. Eventually you'll figure out your own photography 'lifestyle' and decide what tool(s) best fit that.

13. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Speaking as an old (70 yo) hobby photographer since grade school, I was an SLR user through the years of film and then digital with Nikon D-70 and D-80 and have made the complete switch to m4/3, specifically the Panny G1 with 14-45, 45-200 and GF1 with 14, 20, and 45 and love this equipment totally and without reservation. Have sold most all my Nikon gear which included a sizeable collection lenses and a couple bodies.

This equipment is fully capable of doing absolutely everything you could want, even sports as a series on this site proves with "Tennis Anyone?" The main thing to go by is the fact that you have "fallen in love" with this equipment. If that is the case, then all good things will follow photographically. Trust your feelings on this - your heart knows what sensor size, specs, etc can't know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    DSLR has its place/ MFT is outstanding for me

I don't miss much at all. Lugging around 10 pounds of equipment is not my idea of fun. However, I did enjoy the 24mm-70mm Nikon lens. It is killer lens; so is the glass I have now on MTF . So, no loss for me and what I shoot.

Nevertheless, what I have now works quite well and has me not looking back. Two things can be missed with a DSLR vs. MFT. First, is fast moving action. Second, is low light with the right camera. The range of DSLR lenses at this point in time is more extensive. But that will change.

Since I normally shoot in Aperture Mode anyway, there is not a notable difference for my type of photography in how I approach a subject. What really enjoy about the MTF camera is the small size and enormous capability that includes movies. What I can speak to is this. On the camera I own, the Olympus E PL2, once you come accustomed to the way it works changes are very quick and their are numerous options, setting and customization available. It is easy to use.

The only recommendation I would make is get good lenses. After many years as a photo enthusiast, who has gone to various Nikon 1 day classes and Leica school, that is what I have learned from the Masters..... people who are a ten times better than I ever hope to be with a camera. All the best. Good luck. :2thumbs:

15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    If it's not making you any money and you don't need it to have fun, sell it and have some blanket room in your bank account. Your priorities will change once you get out of school. Invest it, or spend a little on m43.

Who knows, maybe you'll want a full-frame or something else down the line.

16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I ditched my "proper" DSLR a year ago for M43 and haven't looked back. I like the smaller size and to me the images are comparable. I'm sure the DSLR images are better when you really look at them but I have never felt unhappy with what I am getting from the m43 gear. It's convenient to carry and tends to go unnoticed when doing street photography. I haven't tried any long telephoto yet although I do have a legacy Vivitar 70-210/3.5 that might get some work this Spring. In fact, the biggest draw for me was the ease with which m43 can be adapted to legacy glass. :2thumbs:

I have an E-PL1 and I like it quite a lot. I just picked up a G2 because there are times when I want a bit better ergonomics/handling and am willing to have a bit larger m43 body (although still smaller than even a small DSLR). I think the E-PL1 and the G2 together are smaller than the old Canon DSLR I used to use. :eek:

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Firstly, I love my GF1.

I'm a former photo journalist and I still shoot on occasion for publication. In addition to the GF1 I own a couple of FF.

Most of my "for publication" stuff has action ... I find the electronic viewfinder not up to the task of serious action photography. Also I prefer the better IQ, larger print capability, better elevated ISO performance and better overall system that Canon provides over µ4/3.

Like you for "serious" stuff I use the FF cameras ... everyday stuff I use the GF1.

Personally, I wouldn't sell anything. I'd augment your dSLR system with µ4/3. For most everyday stuff I found that the 20mm and foot zooming works well (I also have the 14mm f/2.5 but found that the two were very close in FOV, while still useful ... it just doesn't see the light of day very often). If I need to go long ... toss on the 70-200 on the 7D for good bokeh and shallow, isolating DOF.

There is no perfect sensor format or system. Each has pluses and trade-offs ... by keeping the APS-C, you maintain the ability to match the best system for the shoot.

Gary

PS- There are days and situations when I want to run with the big dogs and days when I want to play with the little toy dogs. Having both systems allows me to make the choice not the equipment.
    G

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    That shot illustrates the short comings of a the m4/3 system for BIF shooting, and is the wrong tool for such photography. And that a dslr would be the tool of choice with the right lens.

These were taken with 2 different brands of entry dslr, the canon has the better AF system over the pentax. And my m4/3 will not have been able to keep up with for bif shooting.

If shooting BIF is important get the right system for the needs, and it will yield much better results.

19. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    This type of thinking strikes me as pure Nico/Canon elitism. It will take time for these attitudes to change, but change they will.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

Hi Guys,

While I agree that the DSLR would yield some natural advantages speed wise, it might be of some import if your primary objective was BIF (birds in flight) for those that may not know the acronym.

BIF isn't an everyday event for me, occasionally though I like to get a few shots..

This is from a G1 with Panasonic 45-200. BIF

Three stages of Flight

Threesome.

Solitary Gull

Solo_Flight.

• Like Like x 2