Considering a GX7 to use along side an E-P5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dalton, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I am currently an Olympus E-P5 user wanting a second body. I am quite happy with my E-P5. I used a GX1 for about a year and liked a lot of things about the Panasonic system. I would be using the two cameras for a way of extending my options for different photographic endeavors.

My questions are:
    If you are using both Olympus and a GX7, how do you like the GX7 as a companion camera with your Oly?
    For existing GX7 owners, how do you like the "feel" and layout of the external controls? I already liked the Panasonic menu system. It seemed quite easy to get used to with my GX1.
    Is anyone using the GX7 with an Oly 12-40? I love it on my E-P5. Do you feel the image IQ on the GX7 is as good as it is on the Oly?

Your input is appreciated.
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012

Since I use GX7 and E-M5 at the same time, I would say GX7 is as good as E-M5 if not better. Well, 1/8000s is definitely better. :) The only advantage E-M5 or E-P5 has is the IBIS, no question about it.

For bigger lenses like 12-40, I would like to use E-M5 instead of GX7. That's just my opinion. I use 14-45 or 25/1.4 on GX7 and 12-40 on E-M5.
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    You know, it's interesting. While all micro four-thirds lenses can be used on all micro four-thirds bodies, I think - generally speaking - that Panny lenses work best on Panny bodies and Oly lenses work best on Oly bodies. I think this is why many of us have both Panasonic and Olympus bodies and lenses. Sure, some lenses mix and match on the other brand just fine. But some are a touch problematic at the margins. Unless there's something about one of the two brands that really bugs you or doesn't work well for you, I think it's a good idea to have bodies from both brands if you have glass from both brands. I don't have an E-P5 but I have a GX7. I think the controls and IQ are jsut fine. I think it's the first camera from Panasonic than can be considered a true replacement for the original GF1.
  4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Hi Dan,
    let me preface this by saying that I never had either a GX7 or an EP-5, just the EM-5. However, I thought about both of these cameras at some point.
    The GX7 seemed attractive to me because of the tilt finder and the silent shutter mode.
    I think that for the tilt finder you probably would be better off with the VF-4 except that it is a separate piece making it more bulky.
    However the real reason why I didn't go for the GX7 is that I couldn't share batteries which is a real hassle when traveling. The EP-5 can of course share batteries with the EM-5, but I ended up getting a second EM-5 which have become quite cheap.
    Having two identical bodies means fewer lens changes and no need to think twice about settings etc...
    I also realize that any camera these days can deliver pictures that are only limited by me as the photographer.
    Of course that piece of wisdom hasn't stopped me from buying an excessive amount of gear :smile:

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I use a GX7 alongside an E-M1, E-PM2, and E-M5. Love the GX7 as a companion on several levels: Silent mode is great. PL25 never "rattlesnakes". Does color fringing collection on all my Pana lenses. Controls are excellent. Low light AF is superior. Overall image quality is similar to the Olys. I think it would be a great complement to your E-P5.
  6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I probably should have mentioned that along with my current E-P5 I have the Olympus 12-40mm, 45mm, 75mm, and the Panasonic 25 f1.4. I know that the balance of an E-P5 coupled with a 12-40mm Oly isn't perfect. I just don't want to go back to the bulk (like my old Oly E-3) of a larger M43 body like an E-M1. I have adjusted to the 12-40 and E-P5 combo and I think the GX7 will still feel good in my hands with the 12-40 and the 75mm Oly as big as they are,

I have some kind of a nostalgic feeling about the older GX1 which I did use for about a year. It doesn't have the DR and low light capabilities of the GX7 and that's why I am interested in the GX7. I just loved the handling characteristics of that GX1.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    3 MFT bodies in my life now...

This is a good thread. I started the MFT with the EM-5 and thought for a long time about the EP-5 and the GX7 as companions/replacements for the EM5. Just a week os so ago, I pulled the trigger on a GX7 and I really like it, except for the stability control which is no match for the EM5. Now I saw the deal that Olympus was offering and pulled the trigger on a EP5 w/ VF4...... I told my wife I would sell the GX7, but I will have to play with both cameras a bit to decide on a course of action.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking that maybe I could just keep them all :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I thank everyone for their replies to the thread. I decided in the interests of my budget to buy an Olympus E-PM2 instead. The Olympus cost me $305.99 delivered from Staples. The best price I could find on the GX7 (which I would have loved to buy) was $450.00 higher than the E-PM2.

Perhaps down the road when the GX7 prices come down a bit as camera prices eventually do I will order the Panasonic.