Considering a G3 for my 7-14. Opinions on whether to go for it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speltrong, Feb 1, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I currently have a GF1 with a 7-14mm, 20mm and (as of tomorrow) a PL45. I love, love, love the 7-14mm, but for low angle shots, I really wish I had an articulating screen, and I also sometimes wish I had an EVF when it's bright out. I borrowed the LVF1 from a friend, and it's teh suck, to put it mildly.

Long story short, I'm considering a G3 as a second body, mostly for the 7-14, and only for stills, never video. I know it's missing a few hard controls (might care) and doesn't have an auto-switch for the EVF (don't care). The rest of the differences seem to lie in size, price and ergonomics. Anyone use this combination and wish they had a GH2 instead?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For your stated use, probably the biggest benefit you'd see would be the oversized, multi-aspect sensor in case you want to use your ultra-wide lens to capture your wide angle in a wide aspect as well. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds like a job for the GH1.

• Like Like x 1
  4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    That'd be really nice - I like the low-light capabilities of the new sensor also.

I'll look into that as well, but the tiny form factor and low light capabilities of the G3 are selling points for me.

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    G3 will fit the bill perfectly imho.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The G3 is not much smaller than the GH1. They're overall in the same class of size. 124x90x45mm for the GH1 vs 115x84x47mm for the G3. Most of the weight difference is because of the loss of handgrip and battery on the G3. Considering the 7-14mm, having the grip and battery would be a welcome addition and since the lens is so large, don't appreciably add to the volume of the setup. The G2 is basically your GF1's sensor in a mini-DSLR style body with touchscreen and swivel screen, and would share the GH1 and GF1 battery as well, which is something to think of.

Basically, if I were you, while the G3 is all right, I wouldn't get it unless I found a good price on it, or a good used one in the buy/sell forum. Otherwise, just wait for the GH2 to drop in price, since it's been supposedly discontinued.

• Like Like x 1
  7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Another good point. I think the answer will be to go to the local shop and handle both the G3 and GH2 with the 7-14mm and then when the time comes to drop the cash, I'll see which one is cheaper if they both suit my needs. I ruled out the G2 because if I'm going to do this, I may as well get the advantage of better low-light in the newer sensors. I love my GF1, but the 800 max usable ISO is a little annoying sometimes.