1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Considering 45mm lens? Suggestion...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by isabel95, Oct 26, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

If you have a 50 or 55 mm lens on your Canon dslr (with the 1.6X focal length multiplider) put it on your 4/3 camera. It will be the equivalent of 88mm focal length.

It will give you the idea of how you will function with this focal length.

I put my 17-55 lens on my camera and will play with it.

Isabel

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    the crop factor on M43 is x 2 (versus 35mm film - or digital FF)

when you get into "whats a 50mm f2" on an M43 - it gets complicated - so visit the RF forum where are the "smart" guys are - but nobody seems to agree - or should I say that there is divided opinion

It's FOV and all that

3. isabel95

That's why I suggested the 55mm focal length for test

55mm x 1.6 = 88mm

45mm x 2 = 90mm

Just a slight difference between the two.

Isabel

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
  5. isabel95

Okay DX is Nikon -

multiplier is 1.5x

60mm lens would equal the 90mm of the Oly 45mm 4/3 lens

Canon multiplier is 1.6X - therefore the suggestion of the 55mm - closest I could get.

Isabel

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Nikon and Pentax have made good MF 55mm lens - but the 50mm was far more common
    Konica have a 57mm MF lens which can be found at not a bad price - I think that they also produced a few 55mm lens
    The pentax are really cheap and are good
    Nikon do a nice "small" 50mm f1.8 MF that is cheap - Canon 50mm FD and FDn are good - 1.8, 1.4 and if you want to spend a 1.2
    The MF 50mm Nikon 1.2 and Konica 1.2 are similarly expensive

Why I said DX is that presumably you mean Canon DSLR DX - not FF

but as I said there is some d(expert) ebate (maybe for debating sake) as to what you get when you put a MF 35mm lens on a digital with a sensor less than 24 x 36 - I've no idea I just read their comments with confusion

The 45mm M43 Pana less is really good (but expensive)

7. isabel95

DX = Nikon; e-fs = Canon

Yes...only DX is the terminology for Nikon lenses.

The Canon equivalent to DX lenses are their e-fs line - they can't be used on full-frame cameras.

I have three of them...and love them all. That's why I never considered going full frame.

Isabel

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Hi Isabel

I'm a Nikon fan - stopped using Canon after the A1

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    CONTAX Carl Zeiss PLANAR T* 45mm F2
    Adapter for M4/3 here:
    Contax G – Micro 4/3
    There was a good thread a while back on the getdpi forums but I can't get a link now.

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Hi LisaO

I've got one and I'm a fan - but the lens, (although one of the best around), is not cheap and the adapters are really a pain, (compared with others), the adapters are also 3 or 4 times the price of others and are bigger, plus because of the mounting "fiddle" you probably need one for each lens. My metabones one also focuses past infinity and fouls the tripod plate so I cannot use it on my main (relatively expensive) ball head. If I were going for a Zeiss, (I have a RF 28mm f2.8 Biogon M fitting), I'd go the "whole hog" and buy the RF M fitting lens - the construction is just lovely and it is a joy to use and easy to use with scale focusing.

The G contax lens also have no field aperture markings and you therefore have to focus the thing manually everytime that you use it - it is therefore a very slow process to set the shot up accurately

Just me views - I'd buy another G Contax but only use it for very specific purposes - (in my view it is not a general "carry around" lens), like say a Nikon 50mm 1.8 can be

Best wishes