Considerations for alternate camera systems...

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
We are living in great times for photographic image makers. This is particularly evident by the numerous posts by people switching into and out of various systems.

Since retiring from commercial photography imaging work, I've sold off all of my FF gear (except for a 5DMkII body) and have been quite well served by m4/3 for my personal imaging needs, with some exceptions. No longer a working photography professional, my camera imaging needs are restricted to travel, art, landscape, street, and personal portrait work. Most of this is well served by m4/3 as very, very little is actually printed.

The exception, for me, is with landscape and art imaging, which may require files with imaging data suitable for wall art ranging up to 30 to 40 inches on the long side. I have moved to a new home in the SW with huge spaces and large walls and would like to be able to create landscape and art images capable of being printed at relatively large sizes for wall display.

So... my m4/3 kit needs to be augmented. I don't plan to eliminate the m4/3 kit, as for many applications, m4/3 remains an ideal format for hardware size, weight, and output.

I need to capture, again, with a larger format system. I'm considering one of two options:

1) Re-acquire lenses to use on my (left over) 5DMkII body

2) Begin building a Fuji APS sensor system

Building the FF system would involve dealing, again, with a significantly larger, bulkier, heavier system, but would bring the advantages of FF sensor to the large wall print objective, but at a significant cost in convenience.

Building a Fuji APS system would yield better capability for the wall print objective than m4/3, but would keep the resulting gear moderately compact and lightweight... essentially a compromise between the FF capability, size, and weight and the m4/3 capability, size, and weight.

I'm still in the consideration phase of this process.

With this post, I'm essentially thinking "out loud", knowing that many others here on the forum are likely going through similar considerations.

If you would like to chime in with your thoughts, that would be great, as I'm sure most of us would benefit from reading other's thought processes in this.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
If your main purpose is landscape for your second system... maybe you want to look at the Sigma DP merrill cameras. Compact and apparently very good IQ for landscapes. AF is quite slow though.

Otherwise I think it's better to build around your remaining 5DMKII body.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
monk3y... thanks for that suggestion; I hadn't even remotely considered the Sigma, but will look into it!

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well from the pure MP I would think the Nex 7 but it seems to be missing a decent range of lenses. I would say I have had A1 prints on a gallery wall from a Ricoh GX100 but they were a form of montage so dont count. If it were me I would get 2 maybe 3 good primes for the Canon and use them, Idealy a 24mm and 50mm but I don't know what the good good Canon primes are. At least primes will keep the weight down over one of the L zooms which I guess are similar to the Nikon ones. The Sigma files are nice though if you can get over the slugishness of the cams.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
If your main purpose is landscape for your second system... maybe you want to look at the Sigma DP merrill cameras. Compact and apparently very good IQ for landscapes. AF is quite slow though.

I'd second that. It seems the new Merrils are quite astonishing for landscape shooting, even approaching quality you might get from the likes of D800 or even a MF system (no joke, microcontrast and sharpness in each and every sample I've seen are phenomenal).

I was even tempted to consider a DP3m as an alternative for controlled portrait/fashion shooting. True, it's slow, eats batteries like crazy and has crappy PP software. But, with my triggers, I can also sync nearly up to 1/1000' and the lens is perfectly coupled with the FoveOn sensor. In those conditions (on a tripod) I don't have to go over ISO400, so sensor limits are never approached.

Here you are... I'm considering a complete outsider as a complementary system. I think you should look into it Don, probably the DP1m. There are several samples in the Other Systems section of the forum too. :wink:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
You should definitely look at the Sigmas Don. I had a DP1M along in my kit in Italy in July and the resolution and detail is nothing short of amazing. I also had an RX1 and, while I prefer many thing about the full frame RX1, the pure detail out of the DP1M blew the doors off of the RX1. They're a minor pain in the butt to shoot with (but not for landscapes) and are a bigger pain in the butt for processing (you have to start with Sigmas own software and then export to TIFF if you want to do further work in LR or anything else). For the size prints I do, its not worth it - the files are mind boggling at 100% on the monitor, but the difference is negligible on my prints (only up to 12x18 usually). But for really large prints, I think the differences would start to show up.

Worth a look anyway. And the Sigma lenses are up to the challenge presented by the sensor...

-Ray

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
monk3y... thanks for that suggestion; I hadn't even remotely considered the Sigma, but will look into it!

Goodluck :2thumbs:

Its nice as well since it's fixed lens, no additional glasses to buy. I know you've got a chest full of m43 lenses :biggrin:

Real Name
Nic
The justification for three systems over two doesn't seem to have a lot of basis, but hey why not? For a little extra kick in resolution over Micro 4/3 you'd save a lot of money by choosing a Samsung kit over the Fuji.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
The justification for three systems over two doesn't seem to have a lot of basis, but hey why not? For a little extra kick in resolution over Micro 4/3 you'd save a lot of money by choosing a Samsung kit over the Fuji.

Samsung?:confused:

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Get a Speed Graphic with a good ektar 127 (weighs less than my 5dii with a lens on it) and v750 scanner, a Schneider 90 or (preferable AND) 67, a beefy tripod head. Those combined will dismantle any affordable digital system for the price of your 5DII body. ...and maybe more RAM those scans get big quick.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Don, my suggestions depending on your order of preference and what you want out of it besides better detail for landscape (bearing in mind I have no experience with the Sigmas):

1) Fuji - be warned though, it may eat into m4/3 for you; it did for me. The July FW update was a game changer that removed my last objections to the Fuji X system as a primary system. After my last Canada trip and the results I got shooting both side by side, I've posted a number of m4/3 lenses up for sale and am moving deeper into the Fuji system.

2) Sony RX1 - if 35mm fixed lens is an option, it's hard to beat the RX1. Shallow DoF control, fantastic noise performance, resolution, and processing latitude. It's everything great about FF in a tiny little package. Bonus here is you could carry it everywhere and it pairs great with a CSC on the road. EDIT: oh, and you can't be tempted to expand it into a system :wink:

3) Canon FF lens - if you still have the 5DMkII body, it might make the most sense to simply pick up one good landscape lens (16-35 f/2.8 maybe?) and just use that. To me a FF body with one lens isn't a big deal to carry around, and the 16-35 is an excellent range for general use and landscapes IMO. Also has the benefits of being familiar to you already.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Some great suggestions here.

Picking up a 16-35 f/2.8 for my 5DMkII makes a lot of sense but for the fact that this combo may be less likely to be with me at all times. And this lens gives me the very wide angle FOV that I tend to be drawn to so much of the time (using my 7-14 and 9-18).

The Sigma DP1M is probably more likely to be in the bag with regularly carried m4/3 gear. And the minor quirks of using this camera, for landscape and still subjects, would not be a deal breaker considering the amazing results that are possible with it. The 27mm FOV isn't as wide as I would really prefer, though.

And Fuji, which might swiftly take over for m4/3 as regularly carried gear, would also be with me all of the time. The downside of this option is that Fuji may only provide a slight bump in detail with large prints over m4/3, whereas the 5DMkII, DP1M, and to a lesser degree, the RX1, would give a good bump in extra detail.

The RX1 has a lot of appeal and is likely to be carried along, but the 35mm FOV is not, unfortunately, as wide as I prefer for landscapes and such.

The D800 with 14-24 is quite alluring... and selling my 5DMkII body would help get me there. But I'm not so sure it would be quite worth it to me to go that far. And, like the 5DMkII, it would be less likely to be with me all of the time. Adding the 16-35 to the 5DMkII is probably a better alternative to going with the D800 and 14-24.

The DP1M really does present a strong case for my application.

Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions....

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
If you're worried about carrying a 16-35 and 5DMkII, the D800 with a 14-24 definitely won't be any better :biggrin:

Personally I really don't mind carrying a bigger camera in a lot of cases, I just don't want to carry around a big DSLR *system* is all. I think my limit for traveling with my Nikon gear would be something like a 14-24mm & 24-120mm lens combo. One lens in a bag, one on the camera, minimal lens changes and just fire away.

I used to feel I needed the smallest and lightest but once the photography itself became half the fun of the trip for me, it no longer mattered so much. My cutoff now is simple: as soon as I start thinking "geez, I wish I didn't have to carry all this stupid camera gear" it's time to leave something at home :rofl:

Latest threads

Top Bottom