Confusion on 43rds

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chronos, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Hey folks.

Long time nikon shooter here, i never really looked much at Olympus, now that the OMD has taken me over, i am trying to learn a bit about these cameras.

I have been doing some reading to try to figure some things out, and just want to confirm.

4/3rds cameras use the same size sensor as the M4/3's correct? The main difference being mirrorless vs DSLR, and smaller mounts?

With the 43 to m43 adapter, the lenses will AF correct?

How big are the 43's lenses? are they generally as large as thier aps-c and DX, fx counterparts?

It is amazing the level of confusion of switching brands. The naming convention for the pen cameras is terribly confusing.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    SOME of the 4/3 lenses will AF on m43 cameras, but not all. There's a list somewhere on Oly's site. Even those that do AF, do so quite slowly.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes.

Yes, but slowly and only in S-AF (no C-AF).

It varies. See Wrotniak's site for a list. The high-end ones tend to be as large, the mid-grade ones are generally a bit smaller, and the standard-grade ones are smaller as well. However, the standard-grade have been basically replaced by m4/3 lenses.

For a list of both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses, see this link.

I suppose, but it's not like the differences between AF-D AF-S and AF-I lenses are particularly intuitive either...

It's true that they AF slowly, but they all do support AF, save on the first generation Panasonic bodies (G1, GF1, GH1).