Confusion after firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffg53, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I just upgraded my EM 1 firmware after putting it off for months. I used to have the dial set for compensation on the front and f stop on the back. I thought that I had set that in the Button... setting. However, when I use the camera, the front dial changes ISO, and the rear changes WB.

I'm sure that this is my fault somewhere along the line but would dearly love someone to tell me how to fix it.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    upgrading the firmware resets all buttons and dials to the factory default... stupid I know but thats how it works

K

3. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    It sounds to me like you have the lever on the back set to position 2 which sets ISO and W/B in this position, position 1 sets compensation and F stop.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    good call hazza... i never use that lever :)

K

5. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Neither do I Kevin, but it happened to me once and I never forgot. Took me a while to realise what was going on :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Kevin, I know that only too well. that's why I haven't done it.

7. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Magic, thanks Hazza. That fixed it. I love the EM 1 but I really hate all the settings. I don't miss film but I miss the simplicity of film cameras

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I'm with you on this one Jeff, I would love something like a Pentax MX with a digital sensor. I too miss the simplicity. :(

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're not using the lever to do the 2x2 thing, it is quite handy as a MF/AF or S-AF/C-AF toggle switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    It may well be but I use a D800 with manual lenses most of the time, and the EM 1 when travelling. It always takes me a while to get comfortable with it again. For me, simple is great. I'm sure that I'm missing out on a lot of stuff but I just don't remember it from one use to the next.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Same. I've had my E-M1 for 18 months, and it's still on it's original firmware. V4 will be the first one I upgrade to. And probably the last for a while...

Seriously, how hard can it be to store a backup on the SD card?

Z...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Biofos.com has a spreadsheet for tracking your settings.

Barry

13. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Back in the dark ages of digital, my Canon 1D allowed you to store a config on an SD card. Even Hasselblad, not renowned as a firmware innovator, can upgrade firmware without destroying settings. One of the reasons that I sold my Fuji X100 was this behaviour.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  14. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    It's still a painful experience to have to put all the settings back in again. Turn head to check, hesitate, find camera back at info screen...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

If it wasn't for the macro stacking thing, I'd be skipping this firmware too... Though, I think I'm supposed to upgrade for the benefit of the 40-150 F2.8 I'm buying... Meh, I'll wait for V4. Can't be all that bad...

Z...

16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    This is one of the issues (for me a major issue) with highly customizable cameras and a reason why I do not understand why so many want many other possibilities. How the hell do you remember them all. Barry posted where a spreadsheet is and there is another here someplace on the site, and I suggest you use one. It is a lot less pain to document your changes, because sooner or later you are going to have to put everything back to where you wanted.

While I want more then the simplicity of shooting film I need a means to relatively quickly remember where things are and be able to find them as I occasionally move between a D800, the E-M1 and E-M5. If I wanted the simplicity of film camera, I'd just adjust the front and back dials to do what I want, and make sure I understood and used the lever, document those changes for future use and not use anything else.

However I also believe in using everything the camera can offer in the simplest means possible, so I spend hours learning and using all of the functions. When I went to share how I set up the E-M1 it was quite lengthy.

So it got turned into a pdf file and is linked in the this post - https://www.mu-43.com/threads/57117/. The basic premise being to use all, or as many of the camera controls as designed, and only use the dedicated function buttons or other dials, knobs, and buttons that I know I would not use, yet be able to quickly remember what was assigned to them. That is what is in the attached pdf file. I have few issues moving between the cameras I have - so you might want to have a look and see if my setup make sense to you.