1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Confused

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kurt1968, May 6, 2014.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hey guys , i am confused ....watched too much images.
    Here is the dilemma ; i could buy a Pentax K5 +18-135 * 35f2.4 real cheap.
    Been watching some pics made with the k5 +35mm combo, the 35f2.4 is calles very sharp.

HOWEVER ; looking at pics taken with m4/3 and SIGMA 60mm , WOW , sharpppp en vivid colours .

So is this only me that thinks m43 blows K5 away ?Is this possible or even true ?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not real familiar with images from the K5 or the lenses available for it, but the Sigma 60 is super sharp and renders fantastically. And good glass will make all the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    If your question should you go for m43 Vs pentax APS-C system - no easy answer to that as it all depends on your needs as a photographer. Both systems can produce fantastic photographs, but both are very different. Here a couple of relevant threads on this forum you might find useful:

- https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=11203
    - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=36232

Trying to make a purchasing decision best on sample images alone could leave you confused as so much depends on the photographer and post-processing - I would evaluate the features / ergonomics based on your needs, e.g. trying to hold the cameras in your local camera store and feel them in you hands would be a great idea.

4. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Both camera systems are very good.

Recently I compared my m43 setup with a friends K3 and some DA+ lenses.

The recent Olympus cameras and lenses (E-M5, E-M1 with electronic first curtain) are very sharp and can easily compete even with K5 and even the K3. The 75/1.8 or PanaLeica 25/1.4 or my 50-200SWD are very hard to beat. The ISO performance might be not as good as best APS-C, but if you have to apply sharpening on the APS-C photo, things might turn around.

The Pentax system surely has some advantages and I have alot respect, but the m43 system surprised me because it can compete wih any APS-C system. Even with the newest 24MP cameras.

Christof

5. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    re

Well , i was actually looking at e-pm2 , as it is on sale now.
    But the epm2 +14-42mm still would cost me the same as the K5 deal.

6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Well those 2 cameras are both great, but very different! With the pm2 you've got an small touchscreen camera with very few physical controls, with the K5 you've got a much more traditional DSLR style camera loaded with buttons and a good chunky grip. One has an EVF, the other an optical viewfinder, so the way you use the camera is very different.

What sort of photography are you into? If it's fairly casual then the epm2 might be the way to go & the IQ will be great. If on the other hand you'll be wanting to do wildlife / sports photos with long lenses then likely you'll prefer the K5.

7. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    kids ans when i go fishing.
    i have a canon and that is very clumsy to use single handled.
    But i am afraid of spending a lot of money on a camera that disappoints me.
    So the S95 is too small and too slow in AF for kids .
    Was looking at a cheap Lumix G1 with kitlens , VERY good grip , and if i remember correctly (checked it out in the shop years ago) the AF was very fast .
    160 $ and i am set to go.Bigger sensor would give some smaller DOF too i suppose , i miss it with S95.
    If i like it , i might add a fast lens like the Sigma 60mm , Oly 45mm or a pancake

8. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    If S95 is too small for you, epm2 probably is not your thing. It has small body and no grip.
    If the Canon you have is a Rebel, then K5 is not your thing either. K5 is about the same size as Rebel.

Between K5, epm2, and G1,I suggest going with K5. Its image quality is noticeably better than the aging G1. K5 is also relatively small in the world of dslr, but feature pro build quality, weather sealed actually. The only downside of K5 is it's auto focus indoor. It tends to front focus under artificial lighting sometimes.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    And you can't/shouldn't use a DSLR one-handed, and shooting a DSLR with anything but the viewfinder is very annoying. Just a few things to think about. The limiting factor in terms of image quality with either setup will be the photographer, not the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    If you are fishing and are trying to get yourself in the shot then find

1. A camera to bank stick adaptor ( in the UK the Garner ones are readily available.
    2. A camera that takes an IR remote or one that will take a third party radio one. (My Pentax A30 P&S was IR and would remote zoom too).

Camera on spare bank stick and remote in hand is much safer than camera in one hand.

The G series has the advantage of the articulating LCD so you "might" be able to see the view before firing.

For me the EM-5 stays in the bag when carp fishing unless I have already wound in the rods to take shots - the Pentax is still used for me and the (far too) occasional fish. It's easier for non photo types to use if someone is around around or via remote if no one about.

11. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    When I read "selfies in a fishing-boat" first thing in my mind is the "GoPro camera".........

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    or a G5 with the flippy twisty screen for composing

13. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I have a NEX5r with the Sigma 19, 30 and 60mm. The 60mm is fantastic, the 30mm is perhaps a touch sharper again, and the 19mm is a little softer than both. At $480 for all three I don't think there is better bang for buck. And I'm sure if I had them for my m43's they could be a touch better still due to m43 not having to use as much of the edge of frame.

The flip up screen on the Nex 5 is quite handy for self composing. Wish the E-P5 did the same.

14. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    +1 for the Sigma 30mm. Performs very well on my E-M5, very sharp. If you don't mind the 1 sec. startup-time and the moving part when powered off, a great buy!

15. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I never heard that the 30 was sharper on m4/3s. Is it? Everyone seems to think the 60 is better, which is why I was thinking of getting it. I only have the 30.

16. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I think the 60mm is sharper edge to edge wide open (I'm talking E-Mount here, as that's what I have). The 30mm seems just as good to my eyes in the centre and from technical data I've read, the 30mm suffers a little less from diffraction at higher apertures, and is comparatively better the more you stop down. The 60mm is better wide open and that's where I use it primarily.

So in summary, yeah, perhaps I had the 60mm and 30mm around the wrong way. I don't think there is much in it though.

I didn't mean to imply they would be sharper on M43 (not in the centre anyway), just perhaps better overall, as M43 doesn't have to have to use the lens edge to edge like APS-C does, so I would have thought corner light falloff and softness may be better.

If you like your 30mm, I'm guessing you will like (or love) the 60mm.

17. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Haha, thanks. I'm actually trying to NOT like the 60 because I want the 75 and hope to forgo the 60 but with so much said about the 60, who knows :)

18. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    It's not only you. I wish I'd bought the E-M5 before my Pentax K-5; that was an experiment in frustration. I never could get it to focus on what I wanted (or thought it was focusing on). Turns out the focusing sensors cover a very large central area in the frame for the K-5. I like the output from my E-M5 better, and it focuses where I want, and where it says it is.

19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I don't pay much attention to reviews with pics taken by others. Truth of the matter is that a great photographer can make any camera look amazing.

What's more important to me when choosing a camera is the ergonomics and haptics of the body as well as the maturity of the system of lenses.

This is the main reason why I chose to buy the EM1 last month over the Fuji XT1. The Fuji is capable of great images and the color rendition is amazing. However, the D-pad would've annoyed the hell out of me and m43's slection of lenses are more mature at this point. I may add a Fuji system in the future but currently I'm in no rush and I can wait to see Fuji's future development.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1