Confused newbie saying hello

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mazstar1980, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mazstar1980

mazstar1980 New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    I just recently bought a E-PM1 for travelling and am very impressed with the 4/3 camera system. I bought a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 to go along with it and currently experimenting and very happy with results.

Love the portability of the camera and find I'm shooting much more - I recently put up some photos and never go so many compliments before - because the more you shoot the higher chance of great shots.

I currently own a Nikon D90 with a Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8. The problem I found is carting all the gear was so much hassle and I never felt comfortable sticking a big camera in peoples faces whereas the E-PM1 is so discreet and I can take it anywhere. I wasn't shooting much on the D90.

The problem I have now is deciding whether to keep my E-PM1 or upgrade to something more powerful and easier to handle and replace my D90 altogether. I like the look of the X Pro and E-M5 but also consdiering the E-P3.

I definitely want an EVF, BH have a good deal on E-P3 with 12mm lens and EVF but then I'm wondering whether to wait since the technology is rapidly growing. Canon and Nikon haven't really given it a good shot yet. Exciting times.
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Mazstar. For my money I'd go for the E-M5 as the best all rounder. The X-Pro1 has only 3 prime lenses at the moment and is quite a financial outlay although the image quality is supposedly stellar. The E-P3 + VF2 comes a poor third in my view.
  3. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    there is also a G3 you can consider.
  4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Welcome Mazstar!

I was in the same situation before.

I own a D90, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8, and 55-200 lenses.
    I'm not shooting professionally and want a smaller system.
    I also want a camera that I can bring with me at all times because I love to shoot streets.
    I bought the X100. It is a great camera which I love. However I am limited by its fixed lens.

I wanted a smaller system. And the M43 fits just right.

I sold all the DSLR system to make funds for the M43 system.
    Now I have the E-M5, 20mm, 45mm, 12-50, 42-150 and an E-PL2 and I am very happy.

All I need now is a fast zoom so I can bring back the similar lens line up that I had in my DSLR system.

Hope you enjoy this forum and your new gear.
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    My bet is Canikon will pull back that market with all their combined might as much as they can and for the longer they can because their margin maker is the entry level DSLR and CSCs are hurting their bottom line.

:43: and APS-C CSCs are direct competitors to entry level DSLR, IQ wise, that's why we're going to witness sneaky moves like the Nikon '1' to deflate that threat by trying to eat into the CSC market and undermine it without creating internal self-competition with the big boys DSLR lineup.

So I wouldn't expect anything exciting coming from Canikon in the true, big sensor, CSC market, anytime soon.

Come to the bright side and fear not, my friend !