1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Confused...MICRO..MICRO four thirds...FOUR THIRDS.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Confused...MICRO..MICRO four thirds...FOUR THIRDS.

I'm very, very new to :43:, getting a G3 just last week and I'm staggered by the results.

I've been into photography longer than I care to remember, but I'm :blush: ashamed to say that I know next to nothing about MICRO..MICRO four thirds...FOUR THIRDS.

Is there an idiots guide that a 68 year old togger would understand.

D in W

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    FOUR THIRDS is an older standard that used a mirror box for an optical view finder just like any other DSLR. FOUR THIRDS was a standard shared among more than one camera manufacturer, and used a 4:3 cropped sensor (as opposed to APS-C which uses a 3:2 cropped sensor).

MICRO FOUR THIRDS is FOUR THIRDS re-imagined, really. It's also a format shared amongst more than one camera vendor, and it uses pretty much the same 4:3 sensor, but it cuts out the optical view finder, in favor of LCD or electronic viewfinders. By cutting out the mirror box, you can make lenses that can get closer to the sensor, and overall size/weight of the lenses and bodies are reduced making the more portable.

You can use an adapter to use FOUR THIRDS lenses on MICRO FOUR THIRDS CAMERAS (actually, you can use adapters to use ANY DSLR lenses on Micro Four Thirds Cameras, but only FOUR THIRDS lenses will auto-focus, and then I think it's only certain FOUR THIRDS lenses -- not all). You cannot, however, adapt MICRO FOUR THIRDS lenses to other systems.

Luke's link, above, will give you more details.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    ^

Great summary!

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All lenses will AF, it's only the bodies which have some limitation, and that is limited only to Panasonic bodies. Some Panny bodies will not AF on all 4/3 lenses, and may niot even C-AF on some of their own native Micro 4/3 lenses. Olympus bodies however, will AF on any 4/3 or Micro 4/3 lens which is AF-capable.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes, but you forgot to add the bit that MOST 4/3 lense will AF so poorly on ANY m4/3 body, including Olympus as to render AF a joke. Only CDAF optimized lenses are useful as AF lenses and even these focus significantly slower on a m4/3 body than the older 4/3 system.

It's not just the bodies that have the limitations. The PDf lenses don't have what it takes to AF properly on a m4/3 body of any brand.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ned, you know a ton about photography, but sometimes I feel that you make statements to be intentionally inciteful to defend 4/3. I've seen an original 14-54mm and 12-60mm lens on an E-P2 with adapter. While an Olympus :43: camera will technically autofocus, taking up to 3 seconds to achieve that focus (in good light) is effectively the same as trying to tow a horse trailer with a Prius: technically it's occurring, but it's so ineffective that simply qualifying the situation with "it works" is highly misleading.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I and many other Four-Thirds system users continue to use our Four-Thirds lenses on Micro Four-Thirds bodies for both professional and casual applications. That's not misleading in any way or form.

If there were more Four-Thirds system users before Micro Four-Thirds came to being, then there would be even more of us using our beloved Four-Thirds lenses on Micro Four-Thirds bodies. The only reason there aren't many of us doing that is because there weren't that many of us using the system to begin with.

Do you own a Four-Thirds lens collection, yourself?

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I do, and yes, your statement "All lenses will AF, it's only the bodies which have some limitation, and that is limited only to Panasonic bodies. " is misleading. I have 3 of the better focusing 4/3 lenses and they are all significantly worse in focus speed on all my m4/3 bodies, including the three different Pen models I own than they are on 4/3 bodies. And these are the CDAF optimized lenses. I have also had the time and opportunity to extensively test several other 4/3 lenses and the AF is all but useless on any m4/3 body, including the Pens. I couldn't get the 12-60 Zuiko to lock even once using an EP2 and GH2 inside a well lit camera store. The CDAF lenses do AF but even the fastest of these is slower than the slowest native m4/3 lens (I think that would be the 17mm on an EP1).

Olympus are still trying to protect a dead system. They've already proven that they can sell lenses with the 12mm and 45mm being in short supply since release. And they have the great optics of the Zuikos to base lenses on. But if they don't pull their fingers out Panasonic will release some half decent zooms like the leaked 12-35 and 35-100 and it'll be game over for Olympus.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I had an E-410 plus lenses that I "inherited" from a friend that didn't use it, and knew that I am a gearhead when it comes to photo equipment. He initially bought it as a backup/travel setup to complement his badass E-1 setup, but he always went straight for that pro equipment, even when out and about. I think that flash adequately explained the AF performance of 4/3 lenses on our bodies, and my experience was no different than his.

My standard disclaimer is that if you're looking to use 4/3 lenses extensively, consider biting the bullet and get yourself a used 4/3 camera.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

All this talk about auto focus and its importance is Amusing to me.
    No disrespect meant.
    To me the lens speed, price and IQ are the important factors I consider when searching for a lens. I actually hate auto focus. I believe I focus faster and more accurately with a manual lens on my G1 more times than not, then if an auto focus lens were on my camera. In fact my fast 20-80mm c-mount lens is pretty much parked on my camera 85% of the time. I only recently purchased a 12-42 recently because i needed something wider for under a hundred dollars that I could use for a large family event.
    Auto focus use is annoying with it, but other than that one day last month i use it in manual mode.

But i guess I was just lucky I started learning photography when I was twelve years old, on a fully manual Minolta SLR. So by now I can focus accurately and quite quickly with manual lenses. A little slower with Auto focus in manual mode.

12. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just curious - is that the Angenieux? And where are the pictures? ;)

Stefan