Confused downunder!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by moccaman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi guys, have posted a few times asking questions, thought I better say hello in here too in case the :43: gods are watching :biggrin:

Looking to purchase my first setup, want it to last a long time, getting back into more serious photography, narrowed down to panasonic.

Looking at:

DMC-GF2 with 14-42 and 14mm twin kit for around $470.00, then add the 20mm lens to it, likely wont use the 14 but its only 60 bucks in the combo.

DMC-GX1 with 14-42PZ lens for $999 and then get the 20mm lens to round out the package as a top level setup that should last me many years (I hope).

Been using an ixus 800is for the last 7 yrs or so, all my great film gear is sitting in the cupboard, like so many of us who didnt buy a DSLR when we stopped shooting film. The 800is actually has a view finder! :) had great reviews and has been a good camera, but I want to get back into the hobby seriously.

Comments on my ideas for my new setup are most welcome, I initially thought about an EPM1 as they are $499 here with 14-42 lens, but I just dont like the feel of the body, its unbalanced to me, and it doesnt feel like the GF2 does in build or finish.
  2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi! Hmm..if I were you I will choose the first option. Why?

1. Don't think about 'last a long time' thing haha, there will be a new m43 body every 6 months. The more you learn seriously about this the more you want a new camera body :D.

2. If you invest in a certain system, the lens is more important I think. A pana 20mm is a must lens and 14mm is a cheap wide lens. I've read a comparison article between old 14-42 and X 14-42. There's no different in image quality but X series is tinier. The time you try the 20mm f1.7, I bet you will never use the zoom lens :D

If I can suggest something, this will last longer I think : Buy a GX1 body only, 20mm, 14mm maybe 45mm :). The time you know the image quality of 20mm or 14 or 45, the 14-42 maybe won't be used again.... just my idea.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I don't where you are located, but B+H has the GF2 and 14-42 for $379. That's $100 less than their price for a used one! You start with that and then add any lenses you want. Wait for the GX1 to hit the used market to upgrade.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The GF2 at under $400 is a terrific way to get introduced to m43 and any lens you buy will work on any other m43 body. It's a great way to learn and figure out if you want to stay with m43.
  5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    That GF2 kit sounds really cheap. The GF2 has the old sensor while the GX1 has the new 16 mp sensor. Is it worth paying the difference for or is the difference in price worth it to you? If so then go for it otherwise the GF2 sounds like a steal especially as it is a 2 lens kit. For whatever it's worth, the GF2 feels nicer in my hands than the GF1 and the GH2.
  6. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah I have thought about the GF2 and price and whether its worth spending on the GX1 body, but here in Australia the body is expensive, you get the lens for little extra (I guess many places are like this) so buying a GX1 body only would be silly here.

The latest report I read on the new PZ lens is this one from an actual forum member:

Very interesting his comparison to his other lenses.

Now I also have the issue in my mind of jpeg vs raw and the fact I will likely be dealing with jpeg more than raw at least for the first 6 months, I have photoshop 7 but no idea about working with raw images or LB.

So would it be more sensible to look at an E-PL2 instead, or is the pana easily workable to better balance out the colours and detail in jpeg? Or should I crash course on RAW as its obviously going to be the best overall image quality once processed...

Man this seems much more confusing than film was :biggrin:
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Where do you get a GF2 twin lens kit in Australia for only $470?
  8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Seems way too cheap

The GF1 is actually still a good buy great controls and way ample IQ

Took this with the 20mm

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you'll be happy with the regular 14-42 lens on the GF2, you'll be happy with that lens on the GX-1. If you can get a GX-1 with the non 'X' lens, it'll be a lot cheaper than with the collapsible lens. Unless being able to carry the camera around in a jacket pocket is really important to you, I wouldn't pay a bunch extra for the 'X' lens.

You say you want to get back into serious photography. What does that mean to you? The GX-1 has much better manual controls. If you'll put the camera on 'P' and leave it there, that might not matter. But if you want to exercise more control over camera functions, the GX-1 may be worth the difference in cost, considering the controls and the better sensor.
  10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for the pic boyzo, very nice. PM sent.

@Luckypenguin, I have been looking at some of the large online sellers who ship out of hong kong, found the GF2 kit with 14mm and 14-42 for $478.00 shipped, warranty back to Sydney.

Its always a risk of course buying delicate electronics overseas but the only other option I have found here is Teds sale right now that is $599.00 for the GF2 with 14-42 lens. Add the 14mm lens for 200 bucks.

If I was considering that I would be better off going to DCW's shop and picking up a new GX1 next week with the same lens for $839.00, or with the new PZ lens for $999.

@Meyerweb, The reason the new PZ lens seems like a great buy is the report from WoodWorks where he reckons the PZ is almost as good as the 14mm pancake in the centre but kills it for sharpness and contrast around the outside of the image. Sounds to me like the 14-42PZ would negate the need for the 14mm lens, saving money and the need to swap lenses so much.

Does this make any sense?? LOL
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep, that probably does make sense.

One other thing to keep in mind, though, is that quite a few people are reporting problems with the IS on the X lens, especially at the long end. I personally would be hesitant to buy that lens until I'm sure that issue is resolved (or overblown).
  12. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
  13. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    @Meyer, yes I saw him mention that, its funny but when I think back to the zoom photography I have done, all with a Miranda Sensorex II and a Ricoh XR-M, I wonder do I need to use stabilisation? I grew up being taught by my Dad how to use a camera, his slides from the 60's through Europe are so incredibly sharp and natural you have to come back to the old adage of user vs technology :) What I mean is would I want to use OIS, or would I want to continue old school and find some way to hold the camera steady like we all used to, or use a tripod!?
    On the go shots I can understand OIS, out in the city wanting to snap that candid shot of someone/something with a 45mm lens while hand held and with little time to line up and support the shot I imagine OIS is beneficial?

Zero, no have not seen that site, another HK one, there are quite a few of them listing the GX1 with twin lens kit for that price, in fact DWI has the same kit for $799.00 with free shipping, they expect them in 10-12 days, return to Sydney for warranty.

What worries me is getting a body that is faulty, bad pixels, or poor construction where I am going to be really pissed and have no way to rectify it easily. Buying a GF2 for $379 from B&H is not as painful as the GX1 for close to a grand if there is an issue. I know its rare these days for something to get past QC like that, but in my business perfectly finished products are the norm, so I am a bit "you know" when it comes to fit and finish...:wink: