:confused:Argus C3 Mount: Can it fit M4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Crdome, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Is there an easy means to mount this Argus lens to M4/3?

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

The larger lens is an Argus 100mm f/4 Tele Sandmar - Argus C-mount from an Argus C3 35mm film camera (1.3"dia). It is contrasted here with a Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm f1.4 16mm film lens (1.0" dia).

...Argus C3 was a low-priced rangefinder camera mass-produced from 1939 to 1966 by Argus in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. The camera was the best-selling 35mm camera in the world for nearly three decades, and helped popularize the 35mm format. -wikipedia

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, the coverage is sufficient (135 format film) and the flange distance is pretty long (41.9mm) so it's possible. The Canon FD mount has a similar flange (42mm) so perhaps one could jerry-rig or machine one to take the Argus lenses?

EDIT: It looks like one person on this forum managed to do what you're trying to using a Leica thread mount adapter and an extension tube.

3. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Thank you for your suggestions and the link. I was a bit slow in understanding your thoughts, but I have an FD adapter. I mounted the adapter to the camera and held the lens in position in front of the adapter. Definitely in the focal range. The lens' body is smaller smaller in diameter than the FD mount and slides through it until it rests on the m4/3 mount.

As seen in the photos, this is a sweet little lens compared to other 35mm lenses, which I'd love to fit MFT without expending too many resources on. I'll chat with Red when I have a bit of time to explore the technique in the link.
  4. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Hi Crdome

In my approach I used my m39/micro43 adaptar as a base, an Argus C-3 macro tube to get the right mount on the lens side - and finally a m39 macro tube to get the correct register distance. A fine tuning was necessary to find the focus at infinity (I used a thin plastic folio).

Most difficult part is to find the C-3 macro tube by Accura (no other type known), also the corresponding m39 macro tube (more common).

To assembly the whole adapter you need some glue - based on a rough adjustment of the register, then fine tuning with some distance folio.

good luck

more here: https://www.mu-43.com/f81/argus-100mm-f-4-5-tele-sandmar-30774/

5. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Red, thank you for taking time to provide the information. I bought the lens cheaply. It feels wonderful to hold in my hands and adjust focus. I'd love to use it, and though I enjoy tinkering, the effort to find parts and those cost are more than I wish to invest. That's a pity because it's such a small and wonderful size for a 100mm.

Your wide angle lens looks like a gem.

Thanks again.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Seems like you could get a m39-NEX adapter off ebay for around $5 just to get the threaded part. Then find a suitable two piece adapter where the lens mount is a separate part. Remove the mount and epoxy in the threaded piece at the appropriate distance.

Easier said than done, as you have to ensure the register distance, center the adapter, AND keep it parallel. If the threaded piece is small enough, you probably don't have to machine the adapter shell. Maybe build it up with duct tape so it fits, adjust and then epoxy it.

Nonetheless, that's how I made my Miranda adapter, taking the bayonet mount out of an old 2X converter and gluing it into a Konica AR adapter shell. I did have to cut a lot of metal out of the shell.
    • Like Like x 1