Confused about workflow

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Johnytuono, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Hi
    Recently bought HDR Efex Pro and am using it in conjuction with Lightroom 4.
    Couple of questions :-
    Do I first add clarity/ vibrance etc (if needed) and then edit in HDR. I know it advises sorting out sharpening and WB prior to editing in HDR but not sure about other 'effects'.
    Also on ,say , a 3 bracketed image do I adjust the clipping on all 3 images prior to editing in HDR ( after all, 1 might be underexposed and 1 overexposed) or is the idea of HDR to actually tonemap the images together to 'sort out' the clipping?
    Thanks
    JohnyT

2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'm not saying that my method if corect, but here's what I do. (I've been happy with the results.) Note that I use Photomatix for most of my my HDR work.

First of all - Don't adjust the exposures of your bracketed images before sending them to HDR Efex Pro. The algorithms in HDR Efex Pro will "sort out" that clipping. (You can always adjust any remaining blown highlights either in HDR Efex Pro or later in Lightroom.)

I generally try to get a natural looking image, so my goal in the HDR software is to arrive at a histogram that's shaped as close to a perfect bell curve as possible. That will insure that you're not clipping on either end and that most tones are mid-tones. It's not always possible to achieve, but that's the goal.

Then I re-import it back to Lightroom and finish my adjustments there. (ie - clarity; Hue, Saturation, Brightness; Contrast; etc).

I hope this helps you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Thanks Bert
    It was the adjusting , clipping-wise, that I couldn't get my head round and did think the HDR software should do 'most' of the work for levels.
    JohnyT