confused about upgrading.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I'm curious. Why is it that every time a new camera model comes out, everyone starts in about upgrading ? And, by the time you decide to pull the trigger, the next version comes out within 3 months, and the complaining begins. I still use my EPL-1, and I'm happy with it. Will I upgrade ? Yeah, sooner or later ( when it craps out probably ).
    Someone posted that Oly products depreciate very quickly. Name me one electronic product that doesn't. And other than Leica, 'blad, and Mamiya, what camera holds its value. Ok, I'm sure there are some.
    I figure, by the time my EPL1 crashes, the OMD II will be out, along with the EPL-6, and EPM-4. Maybe by then they'll have all the bugs worked out.
    Nah, I doubt it.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    By the time I wear down my cameras it's usually not long after a significant new upgrade is available anyways. Say 150k shutter actuations in 3 years for a pro-grade body, or 50k shutter actuations in a year for a consumer-grade body.

So yes, I do often upgrade with every other model or sometimes every model. My current 3 PEN bodies are all from the same year (2011). However, I'm still using my cameras until they die...

I depend on my cameras to make my living, so I can't fall too far behind...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Well, are you interested in photography or photographic technology? There is no real need to upgrade. That camera you bought that takes great pictures will continue to take great pictures regardless of other product release.

Naturally, the camera companies are happy for you to think you need to upgrade.

I am still using my E-P1 and I have no other m4/3.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I loved my E-P1. :) If the LCD didn't break, I might still be using it...

This is often how my cameras get upgraded. Something breaks on them and I need to find an immediate replacement (as I said, this is my living). Then when I replace it with something new, I no longer want to go back and repair the old camera because the new is better. xD Eventually I end up with another new camera to back it up instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats a billion dollar question ,Having owned EPL1 for 18 months and then after after trying different upgrades I settled back on old and trusty EPL2. The only two things which I didn't like about EPL1 were shutter speed and refusal to focus in low light . But in terms of image quality its still one of the best MFT bodies and a real bang for buck .
    So now back to ur question ..
    If u dont need faster AF , faster shutter speed ,then I don't see any need for upgrade . Invest in fast lenses like olympus 45mm 1.8 and Panny 20mm 1.7 or PL 25 1.4 to give u better low light performance. I haven't seen a single camera which makes me a better photographer and improves my skills . Enjoy ur camera and there is nothing much which u are missing by not upgrading . This a rat race pioneered by MNCs led by Apple to offer minor upgrades and fill their banks .I have tried all from G2 to GH2, EPL3 , GF 3 and there is nothing from IQ point of view which is significant . Many people change cameras because others are upgrading and not because it becomes a bad camera all of sudden as soon as a new model is launched.So if ur requirements have changed or u r unhappy because of any reason then it a different story . I miss EPL1 often , best OOC JPEGs
    Chill out , grab a cold beer and order a new lens ..hahahaah
    • Like Like x 1
  6. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Getting any new model as soon as it comes out or on pre-order is a mugs game. Wait a few months and the price will come down (often by a lot) and you will also then have the benefit of user reviews and comments on forums etc to aid your purchasing decision. Of course the manufacturers (and the marketing departments) absolutely love the people who must upgrade every time a new model comes out. :wink: kerching!

If you don't mind buying previous generation cameras (eg the E-PL2 or GF2) you can also get some cracking deals* and like Bhupinder says that leaves you with more money to spend on a lens (and cold beer). :cool:

*Eg: GF2 with Panasonic 14mm lens : £260
    Panasonic 14mm lens on it's own: £200
    They are almost throwing in the camera body for free if you buy the kit! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks , If u buy a a new body and continue to use kit lens then I don't think any thing will change drastically .
    Check this out ...Lol
    Panasonic 14 mm 2.5 for 150 pounds
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The only camera that I felt I absolutely MUST pre-order well before its arrival was the first Olympus E-P1 Digital PEN. :) No other digital camera of the time existed like it, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. Now just about everybody makes one like it, lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Well I think its fun to talk about cameras in general but I also see two main types of users; Photographers and Camera People.

Camera People are those that get excited about cameras because of what the camera can do.

Photographers get excited about what they can do with a camera.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    If your happy with Epl-1 stick with it..
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What do you call people who get excited about what a lens can do? Opticians? :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

Well, this is a HARDWARE forum so it is to be expected that we'll be a bit geeky about it. That said, I agree with a few notable exceptions most folks don't need to upgrade. The E-PL1 is a going to serve them as well as an E-PL3. E-P3, GH2...or what-have-you. I think this group is made up of more enthusiasts than you see in the general population and it has always been my experience that enthusiasts (whether they are HiFi, auto, camera or whatever) tend to buy and sell their gear a lot. It's a hobby and that's part of the fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Can't happen. How would companies stay in business? In other words, what would they then sell?

I purchase what is available when I need it - and when it wears out or when the newer technology provides specific features that I can make good use of in my pro work - - - then I'll buy what is available then to replace what I have. And I can't be bothered regretting the choice I made a few months later when something new is announced.

BTW - I just posted some really nice shots that I took this past week with my E-PL1 and kit lens : While many people on different forums are wondering how long they should wait before pulling the trigger or are wishing they hadn't purchased the E-P3 - with the new OM-D coming out - - - - I have no problem making daily use of my severely outdated and inadequate gear (my E-PL1 is 2 years old I think). Unless someone has access to the EXIF data on the files - there is no way that anyone can tell what I shoot with by viewing my work. :wink:.

OH - and I have no problem purchasing a camera or lens as soon as it is released - if I am in need of it and that is what is available. I have never had any issues that would make me feel the need for a 6 month sorting out period or something along those lines. In fact, almost all of my camera purchases happened right after their release - unless I purchased a second body of the same model. Over the last 7 years, those would be the Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Olympus E-500, Nikon D40, Olympus E-510, Oympus E-3, Olympus E-PL1. I use my gear hard to make my living - and some like the D70's were warn out in less than a year - with the E-3 being chosen instead of a D300 that was introduced at the same time - as a replacement for my broken D200. My E-3 is now getting near the end of its life and is increasingly undependable - that doesn't fly with the fast pace of wedding and event work - and so I will be looking again soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Not "everybody". Just the people who post in those threads, who for one reason or another are interested in the new body. The other 95% are silent on the topic.
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I "upgraded" to 2 film bodies.......(1970-something/1990-something)...:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Upgrading as soon as a new model comes out is a form of 'oneupmanship' - to be able to say I've got the latest doohicky model that's better than all the previous models, so MY photos are BOUND to be better than yours.

It's probably all to do with a lack in the trouser department, but then I always was something of a cynic + I've learned to live with what I've got (sometimes I wished there was some North American Indian blood in me but hey ho can't have everything I suppose)

If anyone is daft enough to follow this line of thought, that's up to them and their wallets.
    There is a saying that goes 'a fool and his money are soon parted'
    Me, and I suspect a few others, go more for value for money.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not just cameras. Many people lease cars so they can get a new one every 3 years, even though cars routinely are fine for 8 years, and even though this behavior costs them lots of money. I see it with motorcycles, cameras, computers, you name it. Some people just need to have the latest and greatest, for whatever reason.

I tend to upgrade cameras about every third cycle, but not because of a specific timeline. It's just that over 3 development cycles there are generally significant enough improvements, that provide real benefits, to make it worthwhile. For example, the EOS 30D offered no advantages over the 20D, the 40D offered real improvements, but none that I thought would make a major different in my photographs, but the 50D combined enough differences and improvements to make it worthwhile for me.

Even then, I didn't buy the 50D until 8 or 10 months after release, when the price had fallen substantially. The 20D them became my backup.

I now have a GH2. I'm very happy with the camera, but there are a couple of weak spots, primarily to do with continuous AF and the EVF. I'll consider upgrading to a GH3 if, and only if, there are substantial improvements in those two areas. Or, I guess, there's some major revolution in image quality, which I doubt. Other wise I'll wait to see what the next generation brings.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I still use my G1 and GH1. Haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade unless significant improvements to the technology come up that would be useful to how I take photos. Hasn't happened yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I have to agree with everyone else on here saying that it isn't crucial to upgrade everytime. I usually upgrade if there is a feature I plan to use that the current camera is not very good at. For instance, I upgraded the D200 to D7000 for video and better dynamic range. The LX3 to an E-PM1 for greater lens choices and MUCH better image quality.

If you don't upgrade for features or due to wear, you are just throwing away money.

On the other hand, I would like to debate the 8 year claim on cars. Sorry, but at the rate I put on miles, that just isn't true. It's more like before the 80k miles mark that you need to switch, age is irrelevant. And honestly, getting a new car every three years seems smart to me, everything is under warranty and you just have less hassles/worries with the car.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Sure, there are exception, but with the average driver putting on 10-12K miles per year, any modern car that is properly maintained will last for 100,000 miles easily. The minivan my kids learned to drive on, and drove to high-school in (and generally abused), we got rid of after 10 years and 150K miles. The transmission was starting to slip a little, and it was leaking a little oil (but not burning any). My wife's Toyota is now 6 years old with 88K miles on it and is running perfectly. Burns no oil, and other than a few dings and scrapes runs as good as it did at 50K. For that matter, it runs as good as it did at 20K.

Modern cars simply don't wear out at 80K miles, unless they've been abused or not maintained. We're getting way off topic, though.
    • Like Like x 1