Confused about Panny 20 Vs PL25 ? Watch this video :)

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi guys
Just a quick video for those who are confused between Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 and PL 25mm 1.4 lenses .I have both and I love them both . But its not really a best idea to just block ur money if u dont it so much . Both lenses are great and u cant go wrong with them but sometimes u have to choose one . I will still choose Panny 20 mm 1.7 because of size , portabliity and price . IQ is a tie with slight edge to PL25 which is not so visibile in actual life. Now I also like sighlt more FOV provided by 20 mm as compared to PL25 . Now some one ponited out , if U have 12mm F2 then go for triology like 12 - 20 - 45 and if u have 14 mm then 14mm25 mm and 45 mm .
Enjoy the video , I am also gonna shoot comparasion video soon .
Cheers
Bhupinder
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i34FBAFEBUk]20mm 1.7 vs. 25mm 1.4 on Olympus OM-D EM-5 (Silver): Size, AF speed, Image Quality, Price, etc - YouTube[/ame]

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
thanks for this thread Bhupinder, I already got my P12-35 which replaced two of my primes. the 14 and 20. which i already sold em. But i want to have one prime as an all around. and ive been reading a lot about the P25. i know its massively huge compared to the p20 (2 times plus?) but i also read, that, it has better sharpness and of course speed. Now i have some money on my pocket to get that P25 but again you and this video (which ive seen before) still have me in the fence of getting the p20 again just for portability that i lost with the p12-35 which is small for a zoom lens but definitely makes my omd bigger to "not-jacket-pocketable-size" anymore. and im wondering if the 25 will be the same. AF speed vs Physical size....what to do....

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I really want to like the 20, but the focusing is slow especially if you're using it for street shooting. I think the upcoming Oly 17mm 1.8 will be the new street favorite. Though I think the PL 25 1.4 is the best low light lens due to the fast 1.4 aperture. I had the 12, 20, 25 45 and by far the 25 was best at night shooting for me.

The 20 has a very useful minimum close focus.

Donsantos

Mu-43 Regular
I had both and loved both. I sold my 20mm because the af is very annoying after using the 25mm for a while. I'm looking forward to the 17mm 1.8 although I kinda wish it was a 17mm 1.4.

KVG

Banned User
Real Name
Kelly Gibbons
20/1.7 pros

*sharper edge to edge wide open and at same f stops, but your really splitting hairs here.

*smaller

25/1.4 pros

*wider aperture

*way faster and quieter focusing

*better manual focusing

As far as perspective preferences, etc , that's all personal preference.

typed on my phone, sorry.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
I've not used my 20mm even once since acquiring the 25mm. Holding onto it as a compact option for travel when packing space is tight.

Iamnotdenny

New to Mu-43
For me, it just came down to the fact that 20 is a focal length I prefer to 25. Even if the latter was a 100x better, it wouldn't matter because it doesn't suit my style. :)

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
so bottomline would be something like

Both equally sharp across the frame.
Both make "rattlesnake" noise when mounted on a OMD or Olympus bodies in general

P20mm $300ish used $350 new

-Smaller
-Slow AF
-Cheaper
-Wider

P25mm $480ish used $550 new

-Slightly faster
-Faster AF
-Twice + the size of the p20 (Some compare it to the size of a Canon 50mm f1.4!)
-A lot more expensive

am i getting it right? or am i missing something?.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
yay focus speed comparison!
im on a road trip from austin to LA
hopefully i can find one along the way, i neeeedz the 25! :D

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
so bottomline would be something like

Both equally sharp across the frame.
Both make "rattlesnake" noise when mounted on a OMD or Olympus bodies in general

P20mm $300ish used $350 new

-Smaller
-Slow AF
-Cheaper
-Wider

P25mm $480ish used $550 new

-Slightly faster
-Faster AF
-Twice + the size of the p20 (Some compare it to the size of a Canon 50mm f1.4!)
-A lot more expensive

am i getting it right? or am i missing something?.

I'd also add in favour of the 25:

-not just faster AF but less focus hunting in low light.
-noticeably (IMO) smoother bokeh
-slightly more light gathering ability
-a very natural balance on an EM5 body (IMO)
-a more all round focal length...case in point being portraits. The 50mm eqv as opposed to 40mm eqv results in portraits that are a little more flattering i believe, primarily due to not having to get as close to your subjects face to frame equally and hence, less field curvature effect on facial features...particularly the nose.

All that said, the differences are minor to most people and both are amazing lenses. Best thing the guy in the video said was to own both if possible, over time I imagine you will gravitate to the one you personally prefer and you may find that some of those minor differences mean a little more to you than to others.

Just take a look through the images on this forum and on Flickr...awesome things being done with both lenses. :thumbup:

Latest threads

Top Bottom