Confused about operating the FL600r in manual.

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by robbie36, Feb 23, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am slightly confused how I operate the FL600r in manual which you need to do off camera.

As far as I can tell I choose to operate its flash power between 36 and 3.2 - 36 being full power.

Now I would imagine that if I wanted the flash to operate at half power I would reduce the output by half - so 36/2 = 18. That would reduce the light one stop.

The problem is, if I reduce the flash output from 36 to 18 my flash meter essentially tells me I have reduced the output by 2 stops (almost).

Hence my confusion - can someone explain.

PS is there any way to set the flash so that it shows 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc power.

• Like Like x 2
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Why operate it manually instead of TTL mode? If your camera has wireless flash capability it will work just fine. If you don't have wireless use an off camera TTL cable.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For me, the pre-flash in the TTL mode often causes people to half-close their eyes when the actual flash is fired off, so manual is preferable in some situations.

I also find the flash output indicator of the FL600R to be somewhat confusing, so I'd very much appreciate others' input on this subject as well...

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I have only used my Fl600 in RC mode with the small flash on top when its off camera and I set my little on camera to off so just using the Fl600

I set the camera up RC mode and set the flash I see in that grid to manual forgot FL manual or something strange ? but its manual
    the flash mode RC
    and when I see the back of the camera power controls I see the 1/1 and so on down

just tried it in manual mode on the flash back and got the GN numbers ? yikes stupid should be something else for sure ? and no idea if it can be set any other way

only other way I use flash units is with radio triggers ? and the FL600 on camera around the house sorry can't help more

don't use TTL much unless its on camera bounced for that same reason it lags on this quite a bit ?

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I found the answer. You can change the output from the flash to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc in one-third of a stop increments in the flashes custom settings

Hold down 'ok' for 2 seconds to enter custom mode.

Scroll down to 'GN' and set to 'off'

Personally I have not had the greatest success using the supplied add on flash to trigger the FL600r with my E-M1. Also a TTL cable is a bit of a pain especially as I would need a very long one.

• Like Like x 4
  6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    NICE did not know that never use that but interesting have to read more on that :) the GN thing is stupid :)

I have had good luck with the little flash but again only using it in the house etc. anything for work or outdoor is radio triggers :)
    use the cheetah ones with the 360 before that was using canon Phottix with perfect results also allowed me to use my metz on camera with TTL :)

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    That's a good feature - TTL for the flash mounted on the camera - would it work with the FL600r? I have the Cactus V5s which are pretty cheap and work flawlessly but if you place a FL600r on the trigger mounted to the camera you it wont send TTL data to the camera.

8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah its pretty handy phottix strato II are the models only $100 for the base kit might be like the cactus ? but for sure has to be the canon since the pins align and its a pass through so works :)
    even my old canon extension cord works for TTL off camera which is handy

I only use the metz 50 on them guess it would work with the Fl600 ? can't see any voltage issues etc.. since I only use the FL600 at home and once in a while in the getting ready room since I shoot weddings the reception is to large for the Fl600 :) so only time I need the triggers or if doing groups ?

recently changing to just the cheetah units

yeah for sure its nice to have on camera TTL and still be able to turn on or off your external :)

can you get the cactus with canon ? or is it only the center pin ones ? I know they are transceivers which are nice

one thing I wish is phottix or other companies would start offering better radio controlled flash units etc... so we could get something close to the canon 600 or the new phottix odin stuff in camera and trigger other units ? maybe one day they will take M4/3 serious :)

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The Cactus V5 is roughly US$55 for 2 transceivers which isnt much. I am pretty sure they work with Canon. They do have some vaguely advanced functionality. You can set one flash to channel 2, one to channel 3 and then either fire them independently or set the trans to channel 1 and fire at the same time.

But I agree with you. I would happily pay for an advanced Olympus flash kit with the flashes including built in receivers and an olympus transmitter offering TTL and HSS. At the moment I only think Canon offers such a set up.

10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    meant TTL pass through version for canon with canon pins or they more a one size fits all kinda thing ?
    don't know much about the cactus really :)

the phottix are not bad 4 buttons on back easy to turn on and off for 4 groups and can be seen in the dark

but yeah so wish companies would start looking at Oly and Panny and Fuji as serious options for 3rd party setups

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Sorry miscommunication. The Cactus V5 doesnt offer TTL pass through. On the top they only have the center pin which triggers the flash - so it should work with pretty much any flash but with no TTL pass through with 'any' flash.

The Phottix Strattos I dont think are going to work with the Fl600r for TTL pass through either. They have a Canon layout of additional pins necessary to send the TTL information which is different from the Olympus pins. I am pretty sure they will trigger the mounted flash but not provide TTL pass through.

12. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    no worries I don't write so well :)

(edited to add this I did a quick test for ya)
    OK did a quick test with my Fl600 for you and works perfect did not even have batteries in the phottix unit :)

again just use it for work and with my metz which is the OLY version of the metz 50 not made anymore I guess ?
    so never bothered with the FL600 on it but works just like the metz :)

I do some hand held flash stuff to :) and know my canon cord works with it full TTL :)

quick cell phone snap so you get idea what it looks like on the E-M1
    phottixfl600.

the pins are straight pass through or the same alignment so no issues the oly data from each pin just gets sent straight through :) kinda like my TTL canon cable allows me to hand hold the FL600 with it

canon has 4 pins oly has 3 so the extra pin does nothing :) Nikon has a strange pattern ? I have both nikon and canon phottix since I shoot nikon and used to have canon lucky they worked out for the OLY :)

can't use a canon flash of course on the thing as what the pin does or what it sends is different if that makes sense :) I tried that with my 580 flash for fun :)

quick google search found this also
    http://chasinglightphotography.com/blog/?p=112

• Like Like x 2
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Great find where did you get this stuff from? I was trying to use the flash in manual mode the other day and was confused by the GN number too. Ended up just fondling with settings until I got an okay exposure. I was shooting something really close and the RC trigger from the tiny flash (we should agree to a name for this thing) added to the exposure, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yeah I am the saddo who went and actually read the manual! In fact there are a whole load of custom settings but I cant really think of much use for any of the others. Perhaps someone else can?

Clipboard_Image_52_.

To me this something of a slip by Olympus. Does anyone actually use GNs apart from trying to work out the power of the flash when you buy it. So Olympus should have the standard fractions on by default (a bit like the SCP panel.) In fact GNs work like apertures whereby a one stop difference effects the GN by a mulitple/division of the square root of 2. Which of course is why halving the GN results in a 2 stop difference. Incidentally this works with older flashes - switching to fractions - like the FL36r - too.

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Zoom display will be useful if I keep this flash later and switched to another system. Distance units would be useful for anyone looking to get the metric or imperial unit indicators. I should've kept that manual though Olympus probably has a link on their corporate site.

Edit: http://support.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/dlc/archive/man_fl600r.pdf

17. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Sawasdee Krup Robbie,

I use Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 transmitters and receivers to maintain the TTL and/or High speed sync with my 4 Nikon flashes outdoors (Nikon calls it Auto FP). PW was working on a TTL/HSS system for Panasonic/Olympus, but with their recent restructure and layoffs, this is probably dead for now. There are other new systems coming online, mostly from China, that offer or promise TTL for speedlights, some with HSS, but 99% sure they will be Nikon or Canon only at first.

While Oly does offer line of sight TTL, it is mostly worthless outdoors. Plus the FL-600R is 1/2 the power of a standard size flash. Most times I want a more powerful flash and have doubled up the 2 FL-600R's I have for outside softbox work, but they are still pretty week in the sun. I have used all 4 of my Nikon speedlights in one soft box to equalize with the ambient at mid day, but that is really the time to bring out the Alien Bees's and power pack. As I shoot more and more full manual with lights, power adjustment via the PW AC3 controller on the Nikon flash shoe has been all I needed. TTL has become less important (for me).

Anyway, in looking around for a system for my EM1, I came across the Godox Wistro system of bare bulb flashes AD180 & AD360, which are very portable, but double or 4 times the power of a standard flash unit (4 or 8 x's FL-600R). They are the M4/3 version of portable battery powered lights! While not TTL, they do have a transmitter receiver system that allows you to adjust the manual power of the remote flash from the transmitter at the camera. And they work with M4/3. Plus Godox has a new standard size speedlight flash, called the V850, that uses a lithium battery and the same transmitter as the Wistro, and in the next month or two will have TTL- HSS versions for Canon and Nikon (but not Olympus…yet). It can be shoe mounted and will fire in the OM1 flash shoe. I have read noting but good things about the Godox Wistro system (Happyfish has them) and decided to order a AD360 and V850. They are on the way to me and I will be giving them a good 1st workout at a shoot this weekend. You might want to check them out and they are distributed in Thailand.

• Like Like x 1