Configuring 2019 iMac for Photo and Video Processing

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To kind of close the loop on this discussion, I ended up skipping the 2017 model and getting a refurb 2019 for the 6 core i5 processor. I didn't get anything fancy or super powerful, just a standard 27" model (so 8GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, and 4GB graphics card). It was on sale so after taxes it came in at just about $1600 USD. This is normally the base $1800 model which with taxes I would have paid around $1900, so the refurb saved me $300 off the top. I had recently opened a new CapitalOne credit card specifically for this purchase since they were offering $200 cash back if you spent $1000 or more in the first 3 months. So effectively I paid $1400 for it as soon as they credit my account for the $200, so a total saving of $500. I am very pleased with it. Right now I am running it stock so even with just the 8GB it is very zippy compared to the old 2009 machine. As I mentioned before, I just had to "S or get off the pot" and tell myself anything will be loads better and it is.

Only drawback to the old 24" model I was using, since this one is a 5k screen, a lot of stuff shows up much smaller and I ain't getting any younger so my eyes are not what they used to be. :frown:

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
To kind of close the loop on this discussion, I ended up skipping the 2017 model and getting a refurb 2019 for the 6 core i5 processor. I didn't get anything fancy or super powerful, just a standard 27" model (so 8GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, and 4GB graphics card). It was on sale so after taxes it came in at just about $1600 USD. This is normally the base $1800 model which with taxes I would have paid around $1900, so the refurb saved me $300 off the top. I had recently opened a new CapitalOne credit card specifically for this purchase since they were offering $200 cash back if you spent $1000 or more in the first 3 months. So effectively I paid $1400 for it as soon as they credit my account for the $200, so a total saving of $500. I am very pleased with it. Right now I am running it stock so even with just the 8GB it is very zippy compared to the old 2009 machine. As I mentioned before, I just had to "S or get off the pot" and tell myself anything will be loads better and it is.

Only drawback to the old 24" model I was using, since this one is a 5k screen, a lot of stuff shows up much smaller and I ain't getting any younger so my eyes are not what they used to be. :frown:
Congratulations. It's no surprise that your new iMac is much faster than your old set up. That 9th-generation, six-core i5 chip is supposed to offer roughly the same performance as the 8th-generation i7 chip. I went with the same processor. Your operating system and some of your most-used files will be stored on 32 gigs of solid-state drive, which also boosts start-up and operation. And, of course, you can always add RAM later.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya I will definitely add more RAM (two slots free so looking at adding a pair of 16GB sticks to give me 40GB total). I am still getting this setup.

I am slowly moving my personal data over and just installing apps as I need them leaving behind any that I never really used. I ran Time Machine on the old machine, but I prefer manually moving everything over when going to a new machine so I am only loading what I need and leaving behind bloat and problem stuff. I actually have two 2009 24" iMacs and my main one has always been slow. The secondary one I wiped and only loaded some stuff back on it and even with half the RAM as my main one, it was much quicker, so I know my daily main iMac was loaded down with SW bloat and issues. But because my young daugher uses that one and has a lot of her own stuff going on there (which might be part of the problem) I never reloaded that one to avoid having to reload all her stuff as well (Mind Craft, SIMs, etc. kiddy stuff).

To keep this post somewhat photography related... I am now paying for a couple of updates to apps I have depended on over the years but on the old computer kept the old versions. These include Carbon Copy Cloner and GraphicConverter (the Swiss Army Knife of photo files!). For my normal photo work, I am fine with Apple's included "Photos" app. For my infrared photo work I installed GIMP and Darktable (RAW converter to use as front end with GIMP).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom