1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Confident in u4/3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    My wife and I are headed to Newport Beach this Sunday for a 7 day visit with my son's family, and it's the first time I don't feel an urge to lug the big rig (d700 + fast glass). With my recent buys and trades, I feel like I finally have a complete but lightweight u4/3 kit. I've got a Roki 7.5mm for reality bending wide angle, two fast midrange primes, a tele-zoom with lots of reach, and a good flash. The weak link is the dated 12MP sensor in my beautiful Oly e-p3, but I'll try to work around it by capping iso at 800.

MFT%20kit-X3.

What's your u4/3 kit, and how confident are you in it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's in my sig. For travel, the only thing I would prefer would be swapping the Oly 12-50 kit (lovely range, good closeup, but a bit 'meh') with the P12-35. If I head somewhere with lots of major landscape stuff I may still lug the 5DII, because it is better at lower ISO (and higher ISO) and has more resolution, but I didn't miss it for a moment in Morocco this summer.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If I take what I consider to be a full kit then I would take my E-P3, E-PL3, the Rokinon 7.5, 14mm, 25mm, Olympus 45mm and Lumix 100-300 along with a Nissin flash.
    I'm pretty happy with this setup and would only like to add the 75mm. I don't mind the sensor in the E-P3 but I will eventually move up to the OMD when the price drops (Likely when a new version is released). :cool: 

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Confidence for me comes more from familiarity than anything else. I've used the OMD/PL25mm combo so much that I am confident it can produce good results 90% of the time. I do concede the tele zoom shots and sometimes endure the eyeroll from my wife when I had to step back a few extra feet for the group portraits, but otherwise I know the PL25 can get the job done. I usually bring a zoom lens for outdoor walkabouts but every time I do I would eventually find myself putting the PL25 w/ an ND filter back on the body.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The most used items of my kit are in my signature. Bodies and lights are all in multiples. I make 100% of my living shooting with it as a commercial, fashion, and portrait photographer (amongst others), so I would say I'm perfectly confident in its ability as well as mine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Wow, that's a great endorsement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.