1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Confident in u4/3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    My wife and I are headed to Newport Beach this Sunday for a 7 day visit with my son's family, and it's the first time I don't feel an urge to lug the big rig (d700 + fast glass). With my recent buys and trades, I feel like I finally have a complete but lightweight u4/3 kit. I've got a Roki 7.5mm for reality bending wide angle, two fast midrange primes, a tele-zoom with lots of reach, and a good flash. The weak link is the dated 12MP sensor in my beautiful Oly e-p3, but I'll try to work around it by capping iso at 800.

MFT%20kit-X3.

What's your u4/3 kit, and how confident are you in it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's in my sig. For travel, the only thing I would prefer would be swapping the Oly 12-50 kit (lovely range, good closeup, but a bit 'meh') with the P12-35. If I head somewhere with lots of major landscape stuff I may still lug the 5DII, because it is better at lower ISO (and higher ISO) and has more resolution, but I didn't miss it for a moment in Morocco this summer.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If I take what I consider to be a full kit then I would take my E-P3, E-PL3, the Rokinon 7.5, 14mm, 25mm, Olympus 45mm and Lumix 100-300 along with a Nissin flash.
    I'm pretty happy with this setup and would only like to add the 75mm. I don't mind the sensor in the E-P3 but I will eventually move up to the OMD when the price drops (Likely when a new version is released). :cool:

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Confidence for me comes more from familiarity than anything else. I've used the OMD/PL25mm combo so much that I am confident it can produce good results 90% of the time. I do concede the tele zoom shots and sometimes endure the eyeroll from my wife when I had to step back a few extra feet for the group portraits, but otherwise I know the PL25 can get the job done. I usually bring a zoom lens for outdoor walkabouts but every time I do I would eventually find myself putting the PL25 w/ an ND filter back on the body.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The most used items of my kit are in my signature. Bodies and lights are all in multiples. I make 100% of my living shooting with it as a commercial, fashion, and portrait photographer (amongst others), so I would say I'm perfectly confident in its ability as well as mine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Wow, that's a great endorsement.