1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Confessions of an Expatriate

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jorge Ledesma, May 26, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    This is more like a confession of sorts. I've gone through many cameras ranging from small compacts, m43, to dslrs. In about a year and half this is the official list:

Nikon P7000
    Nikon D80
    Nikon D3100
    Panasonic LX3
    Panasonic GF1
    Panasonic G1
    Panasonic G2
    Olympus EPL2
    Ricoh GRD3
    Canon 30D

And a bunch of m43, manual, and AF-S lenses along the way. I suppose I have a bit of a mild case of GAS [you can relate right]. Yes, I know its an addiction. First, I was basically trying out different formats to see what I felt comfortable with. Second, I wanted to discover what type of shooter I was. Lastly, I needed to find my zone, my niche one could say.

Well, this has passed by and now I can say that the m43 platform provided me with a super joyful experience. Keep in mind, I started with film in 1994 and I'm now close to 40yrs old(later this year) and I started with digital 1.5 yrs ago and 10 cameras later I've come this realization.

I can't quite point my finger at it but I think its a mix of versatility and fun with old manual lenses and off course, the size factor. Following that same vein, I ended up selling all the m43 gear and went full throttle with a dslr convincing myself I needed a wider dynamic range and a bigger sensor.

To my surprise, guess what, I shot considerably less than ever before. My productive days with the GF1/G1 were now gone and always on my mind. I tried to love my Canon 30D(it was literally brand new in 2012, literally shot 500 times in 2006 and boxed) + 50mm 1.8 but it proved to be to big of a package. Mind you, I loved how the Canon XXD family handles.

Then I told myself, I really loved the size of the Panny G2 so let's find a dslr with a similar size and in came the Nikon D3100 + 35mm 1.8 and the 18-55mm VR. Its a great package and with the 35mm its quite small, not bad at all. Guess what, its fun too but for some reason not as fun as my GF1/G2 days.

I don't know exactly why. The D3100 files are spectacular. High ISO smooth as can be. Could it be that I just need to shoot it more, could be. Could it be that perhaps I fell in love with the m43, could be. In the end, I ended up going with the LX3 and D3100 combo but I still missed the m43.

With that said I'm going retro and getting an E-PL1/14-42/17mm + a mint 28mm SMC Takumar I have and have never used. I've always wanted an E-PL1 ever since I read it has the weakest AA filter. I'm donating my LX3 to a family member and going for a m43/aps-c combo and hoping for the best.
    When I look at my Lightroom catalog my best images have been with m43 so it only feels right to come back to what feels good.

Its good to be back. You fellows are a fun group indeed.

Happy Memorial weekend for you in the States

Jorge

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 8
  2. Welcome back, Jorge!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    They always return :)

I'm putting that on my tombstone!

Welcome back Jorge. It's much more crowded around here than before -- LOTS of new folks, but it's great to see the golden oldies coming back!!!

Are you sticking with the EPL1 or upgrading?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks! I just picked one up in Cameta dirt cheap and I've tried a few m43 already, so for now I'm staying put but I won't lie my eye is on the OMD so darn sexy.

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    LOL....second post back and you've been hit with a bout of GAS already :)

Welcome back :)

6. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks, I really have to stop buying cameras of any type. I'm actually trying to self impose a moratorium on any purchases but its hard which is one of the reason I stay at the lower cost category but when I add the costs, its way up there.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome home :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Unless you don't like the size, if you feel the itch, try an EPM1. Very affordable and a step up from the EPL1 in almost every way.

9. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Ho! Ho! Ho! Jorge... I wondered if you'd be coming back. Most others always do!

That G2 I almost sold you has been to two other potential buyers (actually three, if you count my son) and then I bought it back from the last guy! The OM-D is nice, but I still find myself reaching for the G2 more often than the "new toy."

Welcome home! :2thumbs:

P.S. Bill (WT21) is right about the E-PM1. But of course, it doesn't handle anything like the G2. If you like the E-PL1 size, you might want to consider the E-PL2. Image quality seems a bit more detailed than what I've seen from the E-PL1. But that's MO only... others' MMV.

10. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you sir.

Yes, I know I had the EPL2 for some time and sold it foolishly, regrets, I have many in the m43, I wish I would have kept all my gear. Now its a slow process of acquiring it all back.

I still think of the G2. I didn't own it for a long time but I do believe its the best handling of the bunch, if it had in body IS I would be a happy camper. That's always been my thing with M43, the bodies, its hard to match body and lenses. Also I may be too finicky with all this. Who knows, I may even end up with a G2/EP1(I like the silver color).

11. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    wow, thats a lot of gear in 1.5 years... good you found your way back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    I know, its like coming home really.