Confessions of an Ex-Gear Addict : How to overcome G.A.S.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by GeBathan, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for posting, this is a very nice article- I think he does a great job of being open and honest (with both himself and with the reader.) I love the little anecdote about the PDA card cable thingie he bought to connect his Nikon.

One thing though- if you're losing that much money to GAS, then you're doing it wrong. ;) Or your GAS is simply too strong (as he details in the article.) With some willpowee, care, and patience it is a way to try out gear as well.
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    It is possible to make money selling gear on ebay/amazon. However, it's real work and it also takes away going out and shooting.
  4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    That much is true- as if GAS wasn't already work enough!! ;)
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is another way to beat GAS - be poor! This is my biggest problem but maybe it is actually a blessing? I have to save up and find a good deal before I can buy any gear.
  6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Action Step: Appreciating your own gear
    Action Step: Go out and shoot
    Action Step: Work on your photography

This article is right on. Here's a way to implement the action items above all at once... Pick a lens. Pick a theme. Go out every day for one month (or a week) and shoot that theme with that one lens. Make it work. Hold yourself to producing and showing one shot per day for that period of time. You will: concentrate on the gear at hand; you will really, really learn that gear and come to appreciate it, really learn what it can do; you will become a better photographer.

And it will cost you very little.

Someone should start one of these challenges. The last one I shot taught me to stop wanting. It really does work.

Kind regards,

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stay away from groups that perpetuate discussions that cause GAS....

oh wait...
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I love GAS. Theres nothing wrong with buying and playing with new gear if it gives you pleasure, unless doing so harms others (spending the rent on a new lens is probably a bad thing). People collect all sorts of silly stuff. Just don't confuse gear with photography. They're different.

GAS is good. I'm off to the camera store.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Relativity applies... :cloud-9-039: The GAS for cameras and lenses are nothing compared to other hobbies, and the other way around. I tend to convince myself on the former.
  10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The article is more than a bit rambling (the author could use a good editor) but his story is a cautionary tale of the power GAS can have over one. I'll admit that I saw myself in some of the things he wrote.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. Bhupinder2002

This is so true . I can't tell the difference between the pics shot with OMD and my old EPL2. The main thing I loved about OMD was handling and weather sealing , apart from that I barely go beyond ISO800 and EPL2 was fine . The most important thing is to use the camera urself and find the positive things rather than sitting infront of computer and finding negative things about it. Go out and shoot . I often get shock of my life when I find cameras in buy n sell section with shutter count below 1000 . I can shoot a 1K pics in a day or two and ofcourse all won't be keeper . When you look at stunning shots taken by others .. Don't just look at camera only , also look at a person's skills and how the image was processed.its like u taste a dish in the restaurant .. Come home and google the recipe and cook the same dish but its doesn't taste same .. Do u thro all utensils and buy new ones? No .. It's all about mixing right ingredients . Photography is similar .. Camera operating skills, composition , right lens , light and post processing are equally important :2thumbs: I recently developed GAS for Foveon sensor and ordered Sigma DP2M .. It arrived and I took 4-6 shots and packed the camera to be sent back . I recently bought canon EOS M with 22mm because I do need a second camera to keep in the car and moreover my 8 year old daughter wants to use my OMD all the time so USD299 with an excellent lens was perfect . I used the camera in store before pulling the trigger .
  12. Bhupinder2002

Correct Dave.. We don't spend thousands of dollars on makeup and clothes every year :wink:.
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    As long as you never assume the new gear will make you a better photographer.
    Embrace the GAS. Try new gear. Shoot as much as you can and share.
  14. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    It all depends on your disposable income, I am happy with my GX1 and manage to wring every last pixel out of it.
    GAS is not on my agenda, being on a state pension, an OM-d equates to 6 weeks pension, without having to put a roof over my head and food on the table and run a car , so very little disposable income

I did make a few quid last month, I bought a box of cameras from an auction, I only wanted the tripod, So I sold the cameras on Ebay for £200 and kept the tripod and 2 mint Pentax lenses.
  15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Guitar gear heads. Now there is an insane group.
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    well said.
  17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think this is fine, as long as you actually make an effort to sell off the stuff that you don't/won't use.

Since I got into the Micro 4/3 system (2 bodies, 5 lenses), over the past few months, I've basically sold close to $3000 of older digital and film gear and have more than paid for all the m4/3 stuff.
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Great post Gordon. I wish the folks that keep on saying "shut up about the gear and go shoot" would respect this mindset.

I see plenty of photographs that make me think the shooter's time would've been better spent in front of the computer, but I don't say that. They are presumably happy shooting, so good for them. Same with someone who wants to chat endlessly about gear. If it is fun for them why should it bother me (or anyone else)?
  19. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    thx for sharing!

As I use to say, Gas is pure pain.
    and people are different, some are strong and others are weak.
    i´m in between, but I love gear and that could be a trouble.

anyways thanks for the preach