1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Concert pics

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Caseydog, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Caseydog

Caseydog New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2010
    I attend a lot of concerts and therefore shoot in low light. I've had mixed success with a Panasonic point and shoot so I've decided to upgrade. DSLR isn't an option because of it's size and the restrictions of most venues.

I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Oly E-PL1 and the Panny GF-1. Price is not a huge factor.

I've read reviews about the low light performance of both cameras. The Oly seems to garner higher marks.

I would appreciate any feedback to help me make my choice.
    Thanks!

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Go to the store and handle both of them.

The autofocus speed, build quality/feel, and the controls/menus are markedly different, that's what decided it for me. All the pros/cons of image quality, IBIS, etc cancelled each other out, at the end of the day.

Apparently, Oly has closed the gap somewhat on the AF speed, but I could never try one with the firmware update that speeds it up.

Biggest factor might be that the GF1 is available as a kit with the phenomenal 20mm/1.7 lens that you will NEED for this work!

3. Miles

Miles Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    Luxembourg
    A few samples from a beginner ..

I own a GF1, and the 20mm gave some very nice results, but the Voigtlander 1.4 is even better I think.
    There is no autofocus so it may be really tricky, that why I bougth the Viewfinder but unfortunatly lost it before I could try it at a concert :-(

Anyway here are some shoots with GF1 ISO usually at 400.

VdE Tribu-lation: JL Murat 2010

Miles

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey G'day Caseydog, I have the GF1 and coupled with the 20mm it is pretty good in low light as long as the subjects aren't running wild. ( like most kids do )

What about checking out the GF2. I've heard it may use the same sensor as in the GH2. I'm not sure how long it will be until it's on the market, but we should have all the details in just a few days.

5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    These were shot with an e-pl1 and the pana 20/1.7. I've added some grain to some of them in pp, and they aren't all the cleanest shots; I liked the blur in some of them. I can post some clear, untouched ooc jpegs if you want, but I thought it performed pretty well at the show in the dark without a flash.