1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Concerns buying Certified Reconditioned from Olympus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Feb 16, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, I just placed an order for a Certified Reconditioned E-M10 from Olympus today and I noticed the website states the camera may have "blemishes" but otherwise identical to new......I'm a bit concerned as I've paid nearly the "new" cost of the camera and don't want a scratched lcd or other visible imperfections.....has anyone purchased a Certified Reconditioned camera from Olympus and what was your experience?
    (Please don't state the obvious like you should have purchased new, just looking for people's experiences with reconditioned products from Olympus.)
    Thanks guys- I appreciate the replies.

2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I bought a 40-150 last year and it was as new. Not a single blemish. Even if there was, I'd be happy with the saving.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Most folks here have gotten pristine stuff, but some have gotten unacceptable blemishes. From what I have seen, Olympus has always taken them back.

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Very good to read Oly accepted returns.....I'm a bit concerned with the physical condition as I'm sure the operational condition will be perfect....thanks guys....keep posting experiences please.

I should note that if anyone orders from GetOlympus today- you can use the code "president" for a 20-25% discount (something like this) honoring the USA's holiday of Presidents' Day today!
    ( -you do get caught with tax which is unfortunate and kills the savings.)

5. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I have orders several reconditioned 4/3 and m4/3 with no issues.

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Have you used 20% off coupon code?

7. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I guess it's just my fear of getting a "Best Buy" sample camera that had 20,000 people handle it and later have issues with knobs falling off (as I've read this is occurring to some owners).....buyers remorse and the camera hasn't arruved yet-LOL! I'm just hoping I get a mint one.

8. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I did, but just before purchasing they hit me with tax.....if I could I'd cancel the sale and just scour EBay or buy used from a forum member......not knowing the history scares me a little as I've read numerous forums where people have had knobs fall off with great expense to repair.
    Even if the camera is mint I'm always going to have that "worry" due to the camera not being new. I bought a new one on EBay a week ago from Japan but all the units were sold and now no new units are available!
    This second camera is for me as I'm giving the all black one to my daughter who fell in love with it today shooting Wynwood in Miami.......so ordered another for me.

90 day warranty also denotes some lack of faith on Olympus' part- why not 1 year same as new?

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can understand the concern about your first refurbished purchase, but it seems at though you are making many assumptions that some might not necessarily agree with. First, if you do not want to continue with the sale, you can cancel it if it has not been sent, or you can return it within 30 days. Second, although tax is a hit, I do not really suspect that a refurbished body with an additional 20% off is paying nearly the cost of a new camera. Third, parts and pieces fall off brand new cameras, and refurbished equipment is supposed to be checked before it is sold, so I am not really certain why a refurbished body is more prone to trouble, and if there is, see my first point. Finally, a 90-day warranty is standard for refurbished equipment in the camera industry, as is in many other industries. You have the option to purchase an extended warranty during the 90-day period if you so choose.

I have bought a number of refurbished pieces of equipment from Olympus over the years, and only one body had very tiny hairline scratches on its LCD screen in one corner. All of the other gear that I purchased has arrived looking brand new, minus the traditional packaging. Other than being out return shipping, you really have little to lose. And like a new car that is driven off of the lot, once you start using a camera body, it is now a used piece of equipment. And if you are worried about the shutter count, you can easily see how many actuations have been recorded, but I suspect that this data could be reset depending on how the camera was serviced.

Good luck,

--Ken

10. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    They are just covering their "We never said it was perfect" legalize. Everything reconditioned by OLY is usually perfect if you are buying direct from OLY. They also stand behind everything 100%. Sleep well tonight.....

11. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thank you guys- very comforting replies......I'm sure I'll be happy if the camera is in mint condition.
    Is there a utility to find actuations?

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, and it is akin to those coordination tests that doctors like to use to make sure you are alert. The commands that you need to enter are on this page: http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html. Just make sure you follow it exactly, or you will never find the Easter egg. :eek: Seriously, it is not hard, but you do need to hit the buttons in the exact sequence or the screens will not show.

--Ken

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Both of my Olympus cameras - my E-M5 and Stylus One - are refurbished units purchased during a 20% discount sale like the one going on now. You'd never know either wasn't brand new and I have yet to have any problems with them.

14. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'd say everything that is "current" (camera bodies and micro four thirds lenses) is mostly fine.

With the old four thirds lenses you may have to be more careful.
    I discovered that the 12-60 I bought a while ago has lots of scratches in the front element's coating - only visible when cleaning with a wet wipe, so I hope it won't affect image quality much.
    I only discovered this after the 30 day return window. (they refused to do anything about it within the 90 day warranty)

So make sure you check your camera/lens thoroughly during the first 30 days and you should be fine.

15. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I'll be sure to scrutinize the camera- thank you for the reply.

16. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Received my "Reconditioned" Oly E-M10, looks absolutely new- not a single mark on it anywhere.....took just 3 days to arrive- happy!
    It's a keeper...........shutter count is 359.

17. berkshiregrl

berkshiregrl Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2011
    Berkshires
    Peg
    I'm totally jealous! I tried to buy the same one on the last night of the sale and they were out. I finally decided to replace my E-Pl1, which I also purchased recertified from Olympus and which was perfect in every way. I am a big proponent of buying re-furb products from companies. Don't recall ever having a bad experience. Now I'm waiting for another chance!

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought my EM5 w/12-50, 60mm macro, and more recently, a TG-850 Tough camera. In all cases, the items were in perfect shape, looking just like new, and worked very well. I have no qualms about buying a recond. item from Olympus. Just wish I'd know of the 20% coupon before I bought some of those, but can't complain. The stuff has worked well.

19. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    On the flip side, I've purchased two new olympus cameras and they both had factory defects. I assume refurbished units are inspected by an actual human for issues, and I'm prone to have greater faith in the refurb process.

20. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    That's the upside of buying refurbished- an actual human inspects the item with scrutiny.
    In my case this E-M10 is absolutely flawless- and in the end a slight bargain at the price of a reduced warranty.