1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Concerned about the 7-14mm Pro front element

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by walter_j, Aug 30, 2016.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I just got the 7-14mm Pro. What a nice lens. I'm concerned about the front element though, since I can't put a UV filter on it to protect the lens. I'm rough on equipment, and will undoubtedly need to clean it a lot, and so may damage the coating. Is this a issue I need to be concerned with? Especially since it's a lens that will see a lot of field use for landscapes in all kinds of weather.

My first shot :)eagle.jpg

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Don't overclean the front element of any lens. A few specks of dust aren't visible to the sensor - they are too close to be in focus. I recall seeing a site where a 50mm rokkor lens had the front element deliberately smashed and how little effect it had on image quality.
    My 7-14 will be here in a couple of days. I can hardly wait!

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Dirty lens article

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just buy a Photosphere SG filter holder for it, but purchase a screw-in UV filter on that diameter. Now your front element (and lens hood) is protected.

Problem. Solved.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    ijm5012 makes sense if you're worried about the bulbous front element getting damages. I too have this superb optic and, like many of you, worry about that front element. I've been looking into these third party filter holders as a solution. I hope I can find a reasonable cost one in the near future. I hate paying so much for an accessory that I could just as well buy a very good prime.
    Bobby
    PS, when I'm on my death bed I don't think my last words will be "I wish I bought that filter holder". More likely I'd say "should have held onto that Nocticron!" Ha Ha :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I have the Photosphere SG filter holder (uses Haida parts) along with some Haida ND and grad ND filters and think their solution for a filter holder for the 7-14mm f/2.8 is outstanding and highly recommend. For $20 you can buy on Amazon a Haida adapter to go from the Photosphere SG filter holder filter to, for example, 77mm screw on adapter and then the 77mm to smaller with step up rings so this system can work for all your lenses (just not, readily CLP, in my view). The 7-14mm f/2.8 is a wonderful lens.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You sold your Noc?

• Sad Sad x 4
  8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    The special ultra wide angle zoom lenses, like the Olympus 7-14mm, simply do not work with standard screw on filters. You need to get a slip-in type filter holder (Haida, Lee, Formatt Hitech etc,) that can hold 1, 2 or 3 standard slip-in filters. Since these lenses do not have filter rings you need a special adapter that (securely) attaches to the lens, and you need this adapter to be slim enough so the holder and its side mounts holding the slip-in filters do not cause vignetting.

I looked at 6 or so solutions and the Photospere SG with the Haida machined aluminum filter holder mentioned above was the best solution I found. First the rubber donut that they specially fit to the adapter ring is designed in such a way that you can use 2 stacked filters 100mm wide at 7mm without vignetting. Most others will only allow 1 filter at 7mm without vignetting, or you need to go to a 150mm wide system, which uses 150mm wide filters, and they are HUGE at 6" across. The Photosphere SG rubber donut is tight fitting, I leave mine on the 7-14 all the time and Photosphere SG was kind enough to include an oversize lens cap for this reason. The holder has never slipped off, which will happen with some of the 3D printed or other adapters of hard plastic. The Haida system also works with any brand of 100mm wide filters.

These special filter systems are NOT cheap, expect to spend $300 and up depending upon the number of filters you buy. It was $125 delivered (from Singapore) for the donut adapter, Haida holder and lens cap only. In addition to the above, for an extra 77mm screw on adapter so I can use it with other lenses (without the donut fitting), a 3 stop and 6 stop Haida ND glass filters, a Haida 100mm square glass polarizer and 2 graduated Hitech resin ND filters, along with a Lowepro small filter bag to carry it all in, I paid $550 total. The Photosphere SG kit and Haida filters were at the lower end of the range, as this would have been $800 with the Lee filter system, plus whatever $ you would spend for an 7-14mm adapter ring.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    My two cents... if you are that concerned about the bulbous front element, and need protective filters or just filters in general, it might be worth to look into another system like Fuji, where the 10-24 (15-36 35mm equivalent, 7.5-18 m4/3 equivalent) accepts 72mm filters.

Though, the 10-24 is not weather sealed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Honestly, if I were looking to do something like that just for UWA, I'd probably look at picking up an a6300 and 10-18. Both items have depreciated very nicely, and while it's not FF, it's a very very good APS-C sensor with 24MP.

Honestly though, I'm not that concerned about my 7-14.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Sometimes it's just not about the sensor. I did not mention any sony camera simply because never found them user friendly, having to go deep in the menu for even basic things. And the system is now focused more on full frame lenses than apsc. Good if you plan to jump to an A7, a waste otherwise. At least fuji has great bodies and great fast lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I own the 'Old' 7-14 and the new one; both hoods extend beyond the front element, so if you did place the lens face down on a surface, they won't get scratched and both caps work pretty well. The front element, doesn't attract dust like the Panasonic version seems to. (maybe the Lumix does, because of the plastics used?) The old one, I've owned since 2006, and even if you get specks of dust on it, I've never seen this in any of my images. I use a blower and occasionally gently apply a micro-fibre cloth to both of these. As for using a filters, you'll be wasting your time using one as they never work well with any superwide lenses, because of the angle light is transmitted through them and the extreme curvature of the front element and because of the way polarisers operate. Maybe one of these days, Olly will bring out a version so you can fit color filters on the rear element, but I'm betting Olly has discovered dust particles on these filters, would show up more, than on the front element! There is a housing cover made for the 7-14, which fits onto their underwater housing case, but the cost is horrible!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    My two cents.
    The Photosphere SG filter holder is very expensive. Too expensive I would say.
    I also have this concern. The lens is very sensitive with the front element so exposed.
    It is a superb lens all right, but this is an issue when working with it.
    i-X9XBGw4-XL.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Why do you think it's too expensive? Because it's more than you're willing to pay for it, or because it's expensive compared against other options? The former option doesn't make it "too expensive", the later would, but that's simply not the case. When you factor in the price of the adapter and filter holder, it's one of the more cost-effective, if not the most cost-effective option for the lens on the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    If you are only thinking about polarizers, then yes, you will get banding in blue skies with any lens wider than 20mm typically.

However I use a polarizer with my 7-14mm for cutting down reflections in water, plant foliage, grass etc and there is no banding. Graduated ND filters are used to cut down bright skies for obtaining cloud formation details and/or keeping the blue skies from blowing out to white when composing for subjects on the land. Plus standard ND filters are excellent for slowing motion of water to obtain surreal and soft effects, or allowing for 2 to 3 second daylight exposures to eliminate people in plazas or tourist places. Both of these types of ND filters work just fine with the 7-14mm lens. You need to look no farther than the excellent photos of one of our members, and Olympus Visionary, Dukenukem, his filter photos are amazing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    FWIW, the filter holder is probably more expensive than a new front element.

It's certainly more expensive than the front elements for a SHG lens were if I'm remembering correctly.

17. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I would be shocked if this were true, as Olympus recently charged me $185 to replace the fake leatherette on the back of my EM-1 camera that separated and was out of warranty. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $300 plus charge for replacing the most expensive glass element in the 7-14mm lens.

18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Do you understand how a flat rate repair works? an E-M1 is $185. An 50-200mm SWD was about $250, the 35-100mm was the same (for a bayonet and front element).
    The actual cost to them for parts is pretty minimal and the very front element is generally not fancy glass (to bring the cost down).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    OK, so your saying the lens repair is $250, not the $300 I guessed. That is still WAY more than a $125 filter holder, plus the included accessories, I bought??

Edit* Actually I just filled out a non-warranty repair ticket to see what Olympus USA service would charge. Standard 7-14mm lens repair charge for non-working lens was $175 plus tax and shipping so approximately $200. However Olympus said they reserved the right to adjust the repair amount once item was viewed. Maybe they would include a front element for that, or maybe they would charge the $250 you were charged.