1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Concerned About Possible Olympus Price Increases

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Carbonman, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's been recently announced that Nikon and Canon are raising their prices next month in the European market. Do you think this will happen with Olympus in the North American market soon (especially Canada)? The Yen is climbing again, unbelievably.
    I think perhaps I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a 300mm f4 at list to avoid seeing it skyrocket even higher than the current $3299.00 CDN. I'm no economist but saw Oly CDN prices jump 25-29% with no warning 13 months ago.
    Your thoughts?

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Olympus already increased their prices in Canada by about 30% earlier this year, more than compensating for the drop in the Canadian dollar. So there's already a bit of a buffer there. I can't see a further price increase being sustainable.

3. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    Pfew, that is a lot of money. Almost worthwhile to hop on a plane (if the trip is not too expensive) and buy it across the border. Predicting currency movements is like looking into tea leaves - one does not know what governments are going to do next, it is all manipulation. Partly it is seasonal as well, bring up a chart of the currencies that you are intersted in on www.dailyfx.com or on www.oanda.com (no affiliation to either). Gossip you can read on www.forexfactory.com (not that it helps a lot).

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    That increase was over a year ago, June 28, 2015 to be exact. I snapped up a 40-150 Pro at $80 below the old list price on the 29th. I just don't want to see the price jump and miss out on the "old" (current) price.
    I agree on increased prices not being sustainable in a lot of markets. With DSLRs and mirrorless ILCs being considered "luxury" items by most people, camera manufacturers must be extremely worried about their photography business units.
    I have one more client that owes me some money; as soon as I deposit their check, I'll seriously shop for the 300mm Pro and a dot sight.

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I'll just point out that you read about two other other companies raising prices in one market and then speculate this could happen with a completely different company (Oly) in a completely different market. Since your link between those two are completely random, our speculation about it happening in North America will be just as random. ;)

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Not completely different markets; both Canadian Dollar and the Euro are suffering against the Japanese Yen. The US Dollar is faring somewhat better because of the high level of USD holdings by Japan.
    I bought the 300 Pro BTW; it's awesome! Sharp as Hell and focuses really close - macro magnification close with the 1.4x TC.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you think you can predict currency rates, I would suggest making some investments on FOREX and using the proceeds to buy the lens for free.

• Funny Funny x 2