Concept photoshoot using IR technique to make that surreal wintry look

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Nov 4, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    It was actually pretty difficult to get the most out of the noisy dark colors from ISO640, but finally got that surreal wintry look.

Mind you, this was shot in Southern California one fall afternoon at around 80degrees =)

The Wolf Lady, Natasha, with her two werewolves, Yuri and Wilhem.

Shot with my Olympus E-Pl2 on ISO640 with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 stopped down to f8 at 1/100 sec.

Three Einsteins: Key light on the three characters is an Einstein with a 64" silver Parabolic Light Modifier across the brook beyond the left edge of the scene. Fill light on Natasha is an Einstein with a gridded 22" ePhoto beauty dish just at the right edge of the scene. Red roots lit by an Einstein with a gridded 7" reflector with red gel tucked in the roots.

Mix in many hours of Photoshop and a 533MB PSD file and there you have it!!

Models: Laurine Price, Buck Smodic, and Chase Green
    Hairstylist and MUA: Caroline Mujica
    Wardrobe stylist: Joe lorenzo Aligmano
    Assistants: Kelli Sweet, Irvin Maclovin, Mark Rosales, Stephanie Lim-Rosales
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Original image here:

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I can believe this was shot in California. It does not look like winter at all--trees don't have foliage in winter, for one.

Still, I admire the determination and the effort that went into the shoot. It is a fun image.
  4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Oops, I meant I surreal winter look that is typical of infrared photography.
  5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Would love to hear some comments =)
  6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I like how the rocks look like icebergs.