Computerless file storage for travel

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
He he he. I'm excited. Thanks to a Windows 10 update, my computers SD card reader has been temporarily rendered not usable. After Intel has stepped aside, & allowed Microsoft to supply drivers, as brought to my attention on the Intel driver assistant. So much for progress hey. I only know this, because my Blueteeth audio stopped working a while back, and after multiple contacts with support, and attempts to update everything under the sun, I simply gave up on it, and plugged in a 3.5mm audio cable. Mysteriously, after a few weeks, it magically started working again, with zero intervention.
Anyway, I popped down to the shops, & grabbed a USB-C micro SD/SD card reader/USB 3 hub, and my life was once again relaxed & happy. Today, out of curiosity, I plugged it into my USB-C port equipped phone, and taaa daaa, this is what I saw :) I can even see the embedded jpegs in the raw only files. So I know what I've copied over, or not. Happy days (Sorry for the thin DOF that m4/3 is apparently incapable of)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, that system works well (although sometimes finicky in my experience). When I went to China I wanted to avoid bringing a laptop with me so all my daily backups (to a pair of USB HDDs) were done by my Android phone with a USBtoGo cable and a USB hub.

Last edited:

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
My question is, how fast you can transfer from SD card, say 32GB of RAW files, to the microSD card in your android phone?
I've got Galaxy S8+ with 128GB microSD card in it, but writing to this card is kind of slow (experienced when I transferred bunch of music files from PC to the microSD card).
Since the phone can't be charged during the transfer, if the transfer takes long time, would I be worried about remaining battery charge in the phone?

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
My question is, how fast you can transfer from SD card, say 32GB of RAW files, to the microSD card in your android phone?
I've got Galaxy S8+ with 128GB microSD card in it, but writing to this card is kind of slow (experienced when I transferred bunch of music files from PC to the microSD card).
Since the phone can't be charged during the transfer, if the transfer takes long time, would I be worried about remaining battery charge in the phone?
Yeah, I had the same concern when I was in China but my phone always had enough power (I only did it when it was fully charged). But I never backed up 32GB of files per night. Lately, I've been carrying laptops so I don't know how fast my current phone (Note 8) will do the copying.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Now that iPads have up to 1TB of storage I have stopped thinking about external storage. Expensive, I know.
I frequently bring laptops on my trips and despite having more than enough storage to back up my cards, I'll still use external storage because the laptop's drive could fail and the laptop could get stolen (it's a very highly desired target of thieves). My rule of thumb is to always have two backups: either on a pair of USB HDDs (or SSDs) or on a USB HDD/SSD and a laptop. And I try to keep one of the portable drives with me.

Another consideration for the highly paranoid: retrieving files from a dead iPad or one of the more recent laptops (eg: Macbook) that has non-replaceable SSDs is going to require going to a repair shop.

I'm not saying that everyone should follow my lead, I'm just providing another perspective.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There’s a reason why the Hyperdrive, WD Passport Pro Wireless, Nexto and Gnarbox exist. They can all download at around 30Mbytes/sec or only 10-15 mins for a full 32Gb card. Using a a phone will take 30mins or more for just one 32Gb card (usb 2.0 speeds)

30mins doesn’t sound like much till you want to use the phone, or you need to get going or you’re traveling or you’re downloading more than one card.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I dread the day when my windows 7 PC needs an upgrade. Anyway, 3 SD 3.o card readers can make uploading 3x faster with multiple SD cards.

There are dedicated hand held portable storage devices that have fast write speeds. And the cost is less than a laptop or notebook with the same speed and storage.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My question is, how fast you can transfer from SD card, say 32GB of RAW files, to the microSD card in your android phone
Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue, and I have zero intention of ever finding out. I've used my previous OTG reader and note 4 exactly like my laptop. At the end of a days travel, transfer the files. I'm not shooting Motorsport on my travels, or BIF, so if there's more than 100 shots, that's not normal. When the card is full in my camera, I pop in another one. And I usually only use 8 or 16GB cards. 8 seem to be getting a little more difficult to come by lately.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I frequently bring laptops on my trips and despite having more than enough storage to back up my cards, I'll still use external storage because the laptop's drive could fail and the laptop could get stolen (it's a very highly desired target of thieves). My rule of thumb is to always have two backups: either on a pair of USB HDDs (or SSDs) or on a USB HDD/SSD and a laptop. And I try to keep one of the portable drives with me.

Another consideration for the highly paranoid: retrieving files from a dead iPad or one of the more recent laptops (eg: Macbook) that has non-replaceable SSDs is going to require going to a repair shop.

I'm not saying that everyone should follow my lead, I'm just providing another perspective.
Presumably you would not overwrite your memory cards until you get home, meaning you have 2 copies already - one on the memory card and one the backup device.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
My base model iPad transfers at about 150MB/s on the lightning reader. I transferred about 400 images in under a minute recently. Not sure the total size, but maybe about 8GB. It's easily twice as fast as my USB 3 reader on my PC.

My OnePlus 5T is probably 1/4 that fast, but I still don't think it would take more than 10 minutes to copy a full 32GB card.

Obviously it would depend on the speed of the phone's USB controller or SD card slot, as well as whether you are writing to internal or external storage. Most internal phone storage is SSD fast. A lot of Micro SD is fast for reads, but not very fast for writes.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Presumably you would not overwrite your memory cards until you get home, meaning you have 2 copies already - one on the memory card and one the backup device.
Yes, good point. Maybe I'm just too cautious: belt, suspenders, and staples.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I always seem to run out of battery with the portable backup units. They take a long time to transfer and if they die, it's hard to tell where it stopped. Then the long wait to recharge it and see what happened and resume. Same for the phone, but it doesn't have the capacity either.

Best plan for me is to just carry a Pelican card wallet and a bunch of cards. Smaller, and no battery or charger needed. Just flip the lock on the SD card and grab another.

On Windows 10 (Home), MS updating really messes things up at times. USB can become stubborn with some devices, especially ones that the manufacture isn't on the MS friendly or signed list (e.g. DJI drone-ware.). Sometimes it just deletes some programs and desktop icons go missing. I've turned off and disabled the Windows updates services, but MS always seems to turn them back on in time. I have a couple of Macrium 7 thumb-drives where I've needed to roll back several times to the older 1803 version and keep it parked there.

Luckily, my DSL internet is slow as heck and I can spot it slowing down and finding something going out or in and kill it. Often some software or driver update goes snooping and opens a port. Really is annoying.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
On Windows 10 (Home), MS updating really messes things up at times.
I run Windows 10 Enterprise and haven't run into an issue with updates getting in the way. I set the Active Hours so that the updates only happen in the early morning. Perhaps give that a shot?

Prior to that, I did find the Win 10 updates to be very annoying.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always seem to run out of battery with the portable backup units. They take a long time to transfer and if they die, it's hard to tell where it stopped. Then the long wait to recharge it and see what happened and resume.
Curious which devices you’ve tried?

The Hyperdrives are good for at least 1hr of backup per charge, that’s over 128gb. I’ve had two different models.

The WD Passport Pro Wireless has a huge battery that’s also good for several hours of backups. I’ve left mine on for hours, but I was able to backup over 256gb on my last trip without recharging.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Curious which devices you’ve tried?

The Hyperdrives are good for at least 1hr of backup per charge, that’s over 128gb. I’ve had two different models.

The WD Passport Pro Wireless has a huge battery that’s also good for several hours of backups. I’ve left mine on for hours, but I was able to backup over 256gb on my last trip without recharging.
It was made by Kingston Memory. MobileLite or something close to that. It never did work right and I exchanged one of them. Some files it just didn't like. It got tossed as I just don't like charging batteries for a couple of hours and hoping the storage will hold out to do a transfer. Sounded like a good idea at the time, but ended up buying more cards in the field.

Give me a bank of memory cards over some battery backup/transfer device any day. Once home, then I can cull and move them onto some USB HD's.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Presumably you would not overwrite your memory cards until you get home,
I basically use memory cards like film. When they fill up, buy another one. Or if it's only Motorsport, test shots and rubbish, or higher frame rate shooting, just delete most of that, and fill again. Holiday shots, I just keep the cards aside. I've got MMC? (really old cards) from 15 years or more back, that still have the data on them. More than can be said for the photos CD's that I burned, and now can't access because they're in some odd Mt Rainier? file system

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom