Computer Monitor questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Oct 25, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    No doubt this is not the correct forum but I see little activity in the post processing forum. Apologies for going off topic. I have a fairly old iMac and am getting lots of page outs. Time to upgrade and I'm thinking I'll go for the mac mini. I'll probably upgrade to the i7 2.6 version. Any recommendations for a good 24" to 27" monitor for photo processing?
  2. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The Dell Ultrasharp range is known for their value. I'm using the 23" version and it's a nice step up from TN panels.

(Make sure you're getting an IPS monitor if you want accuracy..and consider budgeting for a calibrator)
  4. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I just got a Nec PA27 for my MacMini i7. Works great. The display port supports the monitor's 2560x1440 resolution. However, you also should get the Spectravision package to calibrate the monitor. I already had a hardware calibration device that works with the monitor's software so only needed the software.

Here is a nice article about the monitor:

There is some incompatibility with some Apple video processors. Check the NEC website and which video processor is in the Mini.
  5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    not sure your budget NEC PA series

otherwise some of the Dell ultrasharp are OK a couple HP at times have been OK

a review site that has pretty good info to glance through :)

PRAD | Index Welcome Page
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    For serious editing should get a monitor that uses either IPS technology, or a wide gamut monitor, rather than the TN found in the stores.

Most monitors on the market use TN technology which is good for games and movies, but it generates only 6 of the 8 bits of red, green, and blue colors, and dithers the does this to reduce ghosting. IPS generates the entire sRGB spectrum, but is not so good for fast action uses, and costs more money than TN monitors. Wide gamut has the same issues as IPS, but it shows the larger AdobeRGB spectrum, and costs even more money.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    How is the viewing angle on the IPS monitors? Does the contrast change with viewing angle, like on the cheaper monitors?
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    IPS viewing angles are far of the reasons they're found in all high end smartphones/tablets these days.
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well if page outs are the only complaint, a RAM upgrade might be a simpler solution.

If not, the Dell Ultrasharp 24" model is pretty good, and not too expensive. But remember to get enough memory for the mini too!
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Have you looked at the new iMacs that were unveiled on Tuesday?
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    We use calibrated Ultrasharps across the board. They are not the best, but they are very good for the price.
  12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think I'm maxed out on ram. Unless the computer can actually use more than the 4gb Apple says is the maximum. It feels pretty slow doing quite a few more intensive tasks. Crucial has 16gb of memory for the new mini for just over $80. I'm guessing an i7 quad core, 2.6ghz, with the fusion drive should be substantially faster my 08 machine. Anyone have any idea how well the integrated Intel 4000 gpu handles photo editing? I don't do 3d gaming and I don't edit video so I'm guessing it should be fine for my needs. The Ultrasharp Dell seems to have a pretty good reputation at the lower end. Wasn't really looking to spend big money on a monitor. Just want a good solid experience.
  13. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Buy an Eizo professional monitor.

A lot of money, excellent quality (in Europe 5 years warranty), excellent color, excellent software, and a 10 bit Displayport interface for when you finally buy the Mac Pro.

It is the cheapest way for getting 10 years of viewing pleasure.
  14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    You're probably not going to need a dedicated GPU unless you're doing 3D renders and uncompressed video editing.

Most people won't be doing that.

Intel HD 4000 is a few generations worse than the latest AMD and NVIDIA offerings, but is far superior than traditional integrated GPUs. It will handle photo editing with ease.

Performance wise for photo editing, RAM and flash storage are much more important. Most activities are bottlenecked by other components in the computer, not the GPU.
  15. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Still true at the moment, but new software like Nik Hdr Effex Pro2 make use of the GPU. I would hope in the future more software take advantage of the GPU for photo editing. There is much untapped power to be taken advantage from that component.
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I have to say I'm a bit wary of investing too much in a big, high end monitor right now just because of the advancements (like always in tech, but seems to be big trends on the horizon). Most manufacturers are introducing IPS panels at the mid-high end, and theres been this big push for 'retina' class dpi. Meanwhile 1920x1080 and even 2560x1440 to a lesser extent have been pretty static for a long time. You might see the tech pushed mainstream and prices with them...or something really cool to shake up the industry. Just a theory..

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App