1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Computar 28mm f2.8 M42 screw mount - $20

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Jan 30, 2013.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
  2. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
    Nice find! I offered $12 and he accepted so an even $20 out the door.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Nice. I put in a $12 offer as well ... hoping for the same luck. With the adapter and shipping it's a new 28mm lens for $30 ... can't argue!

EDIT: he took the offer - has anybody tried to see how low this guy will sell for?

4. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    I told him to put "M42 (Pentax/Practica) thread mount" so that his listing would get more hits.

I didn't try to lowball him too much - I sell quite a bit on ebay and get annoyed with people who want something for nothing. I was selling a 19" 2U rack shelf - fairly big and heavy, had it listed for $1, and someone was complaining why my shipping was $20. I said I had to buy a box and shipping materials as well - it was only a $1 for crying out loud! I was probably only going to make a few bucks off of it. I delisted it and gave it away on craigslist.

Anyway, I told him the lens can be easily adapted for digital cameras etc. so I expect he will sell them pretty fast if he updates his listing, especially if he includes M42.

5. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    If anybody is on the fence here, I got mine last night (ordered on Thursday, so that's some fast shipping) and it's a very decent lens for the money (well, it's an excellent lens for the money, it's a decent lens regardless of cost). Build quality seems nice enough, the zoom feels great though it also "feels" like it might wear out quickly, and the few pics I took so far have a nice quality to them which should reserve this lens a spot in my bag.

6. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    slightly less sharp than my sigma 30 2.8 af, and if you think about it, they're nearly the same FL, the sigma is 100 shipped. this is 20... that's not bad at all.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks for the heads up but, damn, he doesn't ship internationally... :frown:

I'd like to have one for my old Praktica and also to adapt on the OM-D....

8. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
    I have not gotten mine yet, do you have any samples posted anywhere?

9. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
  10. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Yep - that's what I got (Rainbowimaging), off of Amazon, and it works fine. This type of adapter is a much simpler affair than others since the lens just screws on and there's nothing for it to catch or engage with such as the FD lens adapters.

Just had mine out for a bit and it seems to work great - lots of flair if the sun is in the area, though, but easy enough to control that. We'll see later how the pics look once I get the RAW images loaded up ...

• Like Like x 1
  12. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    The seller has dropped the price to $8.05 (plus $8.00 shipping). He still has "make offer" so you might even be able to get it for less than $16 shipped!

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the minimum focus of the lens?

14. mgear

mgear Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2013
    Eustis, Fl
    Sean Matt
    It actually focuses pretty close.

Ignore the quality of the image. It was dark so the shutter was kinda slow, and the place I uploaded it added a bunch of noise.

http://i.imgur.com/PmkmJoD.jpg

15. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    Just under a foot - I am estimating 8 to 10".

16. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Quick ans dirty lens test

I got this lens at $16 including shipping. thought I'd do a quick comparison with the Sigma 30mm at f2.8 and f8. Boy that Sigma lens is sharp.
    Sigma30mm_f2_8.
    Sigma full size f2.8

Computar_25mm_f2_8_1-1.
    Computar at f2.8 1:1

Sigma30mm_f2_8_1-1.
    Sigma at f2.8 1:1

Sigma30mm_f8_1-11.
    Sigma at f8

Computar_25mm_f8_1-1.
    Computar at f8.

Not exact 1:1 but I think close enough. The Computar at f2.8 is obviously not as sharp as the Sigma but is does improve at f8. There is a depth of field difference between these lenses so don't let that distract you.

17. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much what I see :), and I have the same setup. The sigma is worth it's money in sharpness and AF.

The reason I bought this is because I have an A37, that sucka also has peaking, but can only take M42 lens. this lens is worth it's money in the mount haha.