Compromises and Adjustments

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Repp, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thoughts on my next camera.

So, after 2.5 years of shooting a GF1 and then a GX1 I know more about my photographic habits and desires. I know that for fun/travel I prefer to shoot small and easily pocketable primes, but that for work related event shooting I need a zoom and a fast recycle time flash. I've learned that I will not buy another camera w/o a built in evf... as my current one stays attached to my GX1 unless there's a flash mounted. I'd also like weather sealing and ibis in my next purchase, b/c while I have a very nice RRS tripod, I find I don't take it with me anywhere. I also have little faith that oly or pany will come up w/ a high-end rangefinder evf built-in body. And while the fuji x-e1 system is really nice, it feels like it needs a year or two more to be developed enough for what I want in a system, and the adobe/raw support issue is a bit...

A friend recently offered to sell me their omd-em5 w/ a few options for a very good price. The omd ticks all the right boxes for me except I can't stand the ergonomics. I don't like how the thumb/trigger finger wheels feel... Is this something anyone else had problems adjusting to? Is it something you'd eventually adapt to over time? Should I wait and see what the next few months bring from Oly, Pany, and Fuji?
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    As a former professional photographer, I used my cameras every single working day. I realized that what the camera could do was far more important than how the camera fit in my hands. I knew that were designed around the human hand and that I would quickly adapt to a camera's ergonomics. So I never use "how a camera felt in my hands" as an important criterion for purchase.

Sure, you can wait for the 'perfect' camera, but how many images will you miss as you wait for the perfect camera, a camera which may never exist?

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks Gary, that's actually very sound advice.

I don't feel like I'm missing many shots at the moment with my GX1, maybe a few hand held night shots where ibis might have helped... but as a functional camera goes, it does the job fairly well. However, shooting with it has made me realize what I'd want next in a camera body. The built in evf for example.
  4. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I had no problems adjusting getting used to the dials on the E-M5. I am actually having trouble understanding what you don't like about them....

Easily accessible dial for adjusting aperture? AWESOME.
    Easily accessible dial for adjusting shutter speed? AWESOME.

All prior Olympus cameras slightly turned me off from m4/3rds because of the LACK of these kinds of dials.

I think part of the difference between us is that I came from a Canon 5d3 and other DSLRs with viewfinders while you come from LCD only cameras. When shooting with a DSLR you need to use lots of dials similar to those on the E-M5 because you are usually holding the viewfinder to your eye. So for me it was natural to keep using these big dials that are manipulated by my right hand. For you it is probably much less natural.

The good news is that you will quickly get used to it if you decide to get the E-M5.

That being said, who knows.... Olympus may announce a camera just like the E-M5, including the 5-axis IBIS, but without a viewfinder and with dials and buttons closer to what you are used to. That might be the perfect solution for you if it comes out. But personally I wouldn't wait if it is really a good deal. Worst case scenario you try it for a few months, don't like it, sell it for about what you paid for it. I wouldn't hold out for Fuji, like you said, it is a couple years away from being appropriate for most peoples primary system.