1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Compression Question re: Hacked GH2 files & FCP Log & Transfer

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by rocknrollchef, Mar 30, 2013.

1. rocknrollchef

rocknrollchef New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2013
    Hello:

I'm new to the MFT world, I have a GH2 that I've hacked - hoping for great results as I learn the ropes, acquire more brands of lenses, etc.

I'm also a long-time Mac/Final Cut Pro user, and until I make the change to Sony Vegas on PC (I hate FCX)... that's the software I'm stuck with.

QUESTION: I have been able to import the GH2 footage using FCP "log & transfer" function from a card reader, but it would appear some compression also takes place and formats them to Pro Res 422 - is that right?

If that's true, it seems to defeat the purpose of the increased data rate & enhanced resolution of the hacked GH2 files correct? If that's true, are there some settings I can adjust while ingesting the files with FCP to retain their original properties? Or is there another way to do it? Yes, I already know the hacked GH2 creates some monster raw files, but I'm also looking at using some alias/proxy software for the editing process.

THANK YOU

chef

2. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Try to take a look at dvxuser forum. Im sure you can get plenty of video information over there. They're not as friendly as this forum, but they know plenty of stuffs about video. However, once you are done with you video, please post it here, many will appreciate you effort.

3. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  4. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Prores 4:2:2 is an intermediate codec meant for edit friendly files. And no, it will not degrade your files. In fact, the GH2 is not capable of recording 4:2:2 prores because it it higher quality than the AVCHD even with the hack. 4:2:2 prores saves greater color information and at higher quality than the GH2 which records in 4:2:0 AVCHD.

5. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    uncheck create optimized media during import

you can check the create proxy just under it

hope these helped

6. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    panasonic has a free program that can recreate/restore damaged avchd structure for the .mts files so that fcpx can import...it is called avccam restorer

there is no need to spend $50 for clipwrap

7. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    every time a file gets converted...quality is lost...

also 4:2:2 refers to color information...not quality of the encoding...they are different animals...