1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comprehensive List of Native Micro Four Thirds Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Apr 22, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In the spirit of J. Andrzej Wrotniak's excellent 4/3 lens list, I've put together a table listing all of the native micro 4/3 lenses currently available, and their respective specs/prices.

Currently I count 32 different native m4/3 lenses (26 of them with AF) in a little more than 3.5 years.

Compare that to the 47 AF lenses the 4/3 format amassed over a 7 year run (only 28 are still shipping), and I'd say m4/3 is off to a pretty good start...

EDIT: I've also created a simple graphic showing the coverage of current native m4/3 options.

i-SsBZtbX-L.

EDIT 2: Promit has put together a much nicer graphic of focal lengths in his thread.

EDIT 3: Also, Dirk Hennig now has posted an excellent table of m4/3 lenses and capabilities on his site.

EDIT 4: 4/3 lenses are also listed now and the new 45-150 is added.

EDIT 5: Added new rumored lenses, as well as changed colors.

DH

• Like Like x 46
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    DH - thanks a lot for doing this, very helpful. I can no longer keep track of what is available. Of course, the biggest danger of a readily-available list like this is its potential to induced GAS! :smile: In all seriousness, though, great guide, thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us.

Ed/penfan2010

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Nice list, thanks, DH!

Dang, I only have three of them. :eek: I better step it up!

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Wow, thanks!

One very minor correction: the new Voigtlander is 17.5mm, not 17mm.

Also, to me it would be more useful if the table were sorted by focal lengths (primes first, then zooms). But it's pretty darn good the way it is too.

(except for the green rows . . . too bright! I'd just eliminate the ones between the brands and keep the ones for "primes" and "zooms")

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good points and thanks for the correction. Agree on the sorting and the extra space. Changed accordingly :smile:

My pleasure. I was having the same problem keeping track of everything. Probably right about the GAS too...

I've only got 3 at the moment as well. I'm hoping it won't balloon too badly though!

DH

6. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    very good work! make me more motivated to collect more lens «_»

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Four thirds had 11 primes. We're at 18 so far...

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for doing this! I use a similar list for Nikon glass and it's invaluable when doing research on different lenses!

9. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Great list, but no interest in the lo-fi lenses? Wanderlust Pinwide, 3 SLR Magic Toy Lenses and the Holga give us quite a bit of flexibility when looking for that retro, imperfect, artyish look that's so hot right now...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet list, DH! Very useful.

Some more I would add to the list though, are the Zeiss CP.2 Compact Primes...

Super Wide Angle
    Zeiss CP.2 18mm f/3.6
    Zeiss CP.2 21mm f/2.9

Wide Angle
    Zeiss CP.2 25mm f/2.9
    Zeiss CP.2 28mm f/2.1
    Zeiss CP.2 35mm f/2.1

Standard
    Zeiss CP.2 50mm f/2.1

Tele
    Zeiss CP.2 85mm f/2.1
    Zeiss CP.2 100mm f/2.1 (Close-Focus - 0.7m/2'6")

Macro
    Zeiss CP.2 50mm f/2.1

That'll put the list up to 42. Now we're past Four-Thirds already in half the time. ;)

11. Ward

Ward New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    What about the Tokina 300mm mirror lens? Any idea when this one will be available?

Ward

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, and we've not even gotten to 100mm yet!

Sure thing. I'm a big fan of Roland Vink's Nikon lens pages. They're even useful for m4/3 (adapted lens possibilities)!

I don't mind lo-fi lenses, but they're a broad category, like adapted lenses in general. I think I'll stick to lenses that are at least nominally designed for the format.

Good point about the Zeiss CP.2 - I'd forgotten about them. But after thinking about it, I don't think they quite fit - they're basically pro video lenses, and they're not exactly designed for m4/3 either - there are EF, F and PL versions that are physically identical save for the mount.

Good question. It was announced, and it should be available, but I don't see anything on Tokina's website.

Thanks for the comments everybody,

DH

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Wow, now it's even better. A great list. Really makes it obvious how incredibly large the lens selection for m43 has become in the past few years. And, like someone else said, hardly the 'antacid' needed for a bad case of GAS.

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks. I think the best antacid is adding up how much I've already spent on m4/3 equipment in the last 12 months. And I don't even have an especially big collection :smile:

DH

P.S. I added the list of CDAF-optimized lenses (in a separate section), as that seems to be a fairly common question.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is a mirrorless app with all the lenses too

16. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    SLR Magic has a 26mm f 1.4 toy lens as well :smile:

17. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    This post seems a good candidate for a sticky.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    One slight issue:

The 7-14 is not made for threaded filters, but people seem to overlook the fact that all one has to do is get some rectangular filters, like Cokin or whatever, and just hold them up in front of the lens.

Not hard.

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Cool! What name does it go by?

Thanks, missed that one too. But I think given the vast number of Lensbabies, pinhole lens caps and other toy lenses, it's probably best to leave less 'traditional' lenses for another list.

Fair enough. I should just relabel that column 'screw-in filters'.

Thanks,

DH

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is a great resource! Thanks for putting it together, DH. It would be great if this were made sticky.

One request/suggestion: would it be possible to add Field of View (in degrees)?