Comprehensive List of Micro Four Thirds Bodies

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Great stuff!
One minor glitch I saw, the top view for the G9 is a photo of the E-M10!
Fixed. Not sure how that happened, but the embedded images are a recent change. Previously sheets would only allow you to link photos hosted elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing it out.

- K

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
@DeeJayK the "check" widget doesn't seem to be working for me right now, or maybe it just isn't being displayed for me and you can see where I tried to give your comment a check a couple of times?

OT - one thing that comes up often, at least with Oly bodies, is programmability. I don't know how to keep track of that really, but a lot of people really like the m10.2 over the m10.3 for still photography for that reason, and I don't see anything in the sheet that would sort them in that order. Something to ponder anyway, I liked my old m10.3 other than lack of weather sealing and awkward faux mirror box for jamming into an already full day pack, range finders are superior for that.

Maybe more practically, something related to the number of physical controls, dials, wheels, buttons would help me. That's where the PM1 is difficult compared to the m10 or m5.3 now, a single thumb wheel gives limited control between modes, or shutter speed vs ev in S mode.

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
@DeeJayK the "check" widget doesn't seem to be working for me right now, or maybe it just isn't being displayed for me and you can see where I tried to give your comment a check a couple of times?

OT - one thing that comes up often, at least with Oly bodies, is programmability. I don't know how to keep track of that really, but a lot of people really like the m10.2 over the m10.3 for still photography for that reason, and I don't see anything in the sheet that would support them in that order. Something to ponder anyway, I liked my old m10.3 other than lack of weather sealing and awkward faux mirror box for jamming into an already full day pack, range finders are superior for that.

Maybe more practically, something related to the number of physical controls, dials, wheels, buttons would help me. That's where the PM1 is difficult comp pared to the m10 or m5.3 now, a single thumb wheel gives limited control between modes, or shutter speed vs ev in S mode.

Thanks for the input. It's enormously helpful to get some different perspectives on this.

Regarding the first point, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to quantify something like menus or programability or capture it in a spreadsheet. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about the E-M10 series. I've seen comments that the 10.3 is considered by some a sort of "dumbed down" 10.2, but I've never really dug into the specifics of that. Just looking at the specs and photos there is very little to distinguish them. I guess I could add some more detail and/or sharpen the description in the "Differences from immediate predecessor" field.

On your second note, that's something I have considered, but I've struggled with how to implement it. The sheet has a binary "Mode dial" column, but really that only distinguishes a handful of models (like the E-PM series and a few GFs) which lack that control. The value of that distinction has diminished over time since everything released since 2012 has a "Y" in that column. I've thought about making that column report the number of dial controls, but I'm not certain if that is really all that worthwhile either.

- K

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
No problem, just some thoughts.

I'm busy looking over the gm1 and 5, both of which look like great lightweight hiking/ trail running bodies. Thanks for pointing them out to me.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Alas, that is not the only downside - that wretched rear dial is also a worry, a real problem when buying second-hand...
Hmmm...first I've heard of this. I'm happy to report that mine suffers no such issues (yet).

Seems there is at least one thread on the issue that indicates at least some have had success using some contact cleaner to dislodge whatever grit has caused the issue. That rear wheel control is a big part of what makes the GM5 so comfortable and usable for me. It's also the other big differentiator (besides the EVF) that caused me to target the GM5 over the GM1.

I'm actually kinda glad I hadn't read about this issue before as I might have waffled and not made the purchase.

- K

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
The rear dial on my PM1 has similar history, and my thought was for $50 to use it for a year until I wore it out, then upgrade to PM2 or GM1/5. But it keeps working fine despite my plan. So I don't think that history would stop me, but I like the idea of the streamlined body of the GM1 for jamming into a pack or pocket, so maybe I will get that anyhow which might avoid the potential issue, and save a couple of dollars. We'll see.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
You're not a rumors site. Stop it! :laugh:

Edited to add correction: E-M1, original version, your chart has the EVF listed with a magnification of 0.74, should be 1.0 (manual lists it as 100% magnification). Also Dual IS compatible, marked as NO, should be YES. Electronic shutter should also be yes.

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
You're not a rumors site. Stop it! :laugh:
Occasionally I get bored with the slow release schedule, though. :p
Edited to add correction: E-M1, original version, your chart has the EVF listed with a magnification of 0.74, should be 1.0 (manual lists it as 100% magnification).
Hmmm...any chance you're confusing "coverage" with magnification? Magnification is typically listed as an x-factor rather than a percentage.

That said, I think I uncovered an error in the DPReview specs that I was relying on. They have magnification of 0.74x (0.37x 35mm equiv.) listed, but Imaging-Resource lists it as 1.48x (0.74x 35mm equiv.). The Olympus site has it listed as "Approx. 1.30x*1 to approx. 1.48x*2 (50mm lens / ∞ / -1 m-1)", so I suspect the latter is correct. DPReview may have confused the nominal magnification with the 35mm equivalent.

I've updated the magnification on the spreadsheet to 1.48x.

- K

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Hmmm...any chance you're confusing "coverage" with magnification? Magnification is typically listed as an x-factor rather than a percentage.
I was going by Olympus's own words in the specification section of the User Manual...
1618433278484.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So perhaps they were confusing the terms? ?‍♂️

I added two other corrections but perhaps you were already replying while I was editing in the added info...
"Also Dual IS compatible, marked as NO, should be YES. Electronic shutter should also be yes."

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I was going by Olympus's own words in the specification section of the User Manual...
View attachment 883179
So perhaps they were confusing the terms? ?‍♂️

I added two other corrections but perhaps you were already replying while I was editing in the added info...
"Also Dual IS compatible, marked as NO, should be YES. Electronic shutter should also be yes."
I'm not really sure what Olympus means by 100% magnification in the user manual.

Here's what they listed in the specs on their Asian website:
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.06.27 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Comparing the E-M1 to the other contemporaneous offerings, I'm fairly confident that 1.48x is the correct EVF magnification.

Also, I've corrected both of the other items you noted. Thanks for setting me straight.

- K

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I'm fairly confident that 1.48x is the correct EVF magnification.

Agreed. I just knew what I saw the original 0.74 that it was wrong because typically all Olympus flag ship models EVF or optical have been at least 1.0x but didn't know the exactly number off the top my head so just looked in the manual. Too bad Olympus can't seem to keep their own specs sorted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom