1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Composition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 0dBm, Aug 26, 2012.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Any interest in a separate forum dedicated to discussions of composition? This will cover all photography categories.

I have done mostly portraits for the last fourteen years and have recently returned to delving into landscape. My skills are rusty at best since my last foray into this photography category was during the late 60s through the early 70s. I wish to re-sharpen my skills with digital hardware.

I begin this discussion with subject isolation without resorting to software processing and shallow(er) DOF. Years ago, it was done with very careful planning and lighting.

Please share your techniques.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm up for this - love to see some examples. I think I know what you mean by the use of lighting to isolate a subject, love to hear more about planning and other methods. Always up for learning something new.

3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Just bookmarked the dpreview link. Thanks.

5. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I would be a lurker, I don't have much to give ...

I bookmarked the DP review too ... thanks

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm also very interested to learn about this. I'm a complete novice to photography.

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I also read this a few years back: Composition

I understand everyone's reserved about Ken Rockwell's reviews, but his technique writings are fairly good. The man knows his basics well.

This and the DPReview article I posted earlier are the only ones I've read online. If anyone else have a link to share I'd be grateful.

• Like Like x 2
  8. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    Both articles are nice finds! I especially like the golden ratio insights. I am looking forward to practicing these techniques.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Both of these links are great, thanks.

10. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
  11. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    I don't know... I read that Rockwell piece and whether he knows his stuff or not his writing style is a turn off. Comes across way to self centered.

My opinion anyway.