1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Composing in the dark

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gingergirl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm new to night photography. Recently I've gone out and tried to shoot the milky way and last night I took a shot at the northern lights. I shoot with an E-M1 and 12-40 lens. I focused by putting lens in manual and setting it to infinity. I'm content with my photos as far as focus is concerned. What I struggle with is composing my photo. I see NOTHING in my viewfinder or LCD. All I've been doing is pointing the camera in the general direction of my subject and keeping my fingers crossed.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there something I can do to my camera so I can see what I'm doing so I can compose my photo instead of point and pray?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Have you tried LiveView boost?

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Ken, this is the first I've heard of this feature so I had to Google and read manual to learn more about it. I think you are right. I will give this a try. Thanks!!

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It should help, but shooting in very dark places is a bit of a challenge. Remember that when it is active, what you see is not what you get (since the light levels are boosted). You may also want to check out the Live Time feature.

Good luck,

--Ken