Competition is coming! Samsung NX 30mm f/2

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Attached Files:

2. kman

kman Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    bring it on ---- too bad I already own too much camera gear, sorry samsung it better be real good for me to even consider another set of gear

kman

3. otmarc

otmarc New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Krakow, Poland
    Yeah, competition == better, cheaper lenses... I hope :)

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Am I right in thinking this will look like a G1 without the articulating screen, and using bulkier lenses?

I'm not feeling it at the moment - nothing against competition, but I'm not convinced this is it for m4/3rds. Especially the Pen form factor.

I suspect that Sony will be the company to really come out and compete well in due course. I still have my Sony R1... it's a damned good camera and could be repackaged to the Pen format with Sony's resources.

Cheers

Brian

5. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From what I have seen, their initial design will be along those lines. This NX 30/2 looks to be nice and small, though likely not as compact as the Lumix.

I'm very optimistic about the future of :43:. Our system already has diversity of bodies, some outstanding lenses, the inherent strengths and weaknesses of a slightly smaller sensor with a different aspect ratio, and two extremely talented and resourceful companies invested in its success. I'd be optimistic no matter who were to join the fray.

There's always the Sony-Zeiss relationship as well. A Sony style cameras based on the the Contax G form with a line of small, jewel-like Zeiss AF primes could be a worthy competitor for :43:.

6. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Competition is NOT good if it simply fragments the market.

If each maker's "slice of the pie" is too small, there won't be enough economic justification for anyone to develop a diverse range of products. Everybody will stick to a handful of safe "me-too" items that sell in quantity, and just try to out-market each other.

That's what I'm afraid is going to happen in this segment: We'll have a half-dozen incompatible systems, each with two or three generic zoom lenses and maybe one fixed-focal-length lens apiece -- none of it generating enough revenue to encourage the makers to expand with more specialized or exotic stuff (i.e., the kind of stuff WE want!)

7. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interesting point. I think that most of the current market for DSLRs is going to be taken over by non-mirror cameras and that with such a large market, there will be plenty of resources to drive healthy, rather than stifling, competition. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic. Certainly companies will take the safe route and make mostly boring lenses, but the good thing about :43: is that we have more than one manufacturer (excluding third party) available to make interesting lenses.