1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Competition from Sony: NEX-7, NEX-5N, Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and More

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sony Alpha Rumors (same guy as 43 Rumors) posted a leak regarding a number of products which they say will be announced on August 24th. In addition to the NEX-7, NEX-5N, 55-210 f/3.5-6.3 OSS, and Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens pictured below, the rumor indicates that Sony will be announcing an optically stabilized 50mm f/1.8 (portrait) lens, which Sony previously indicated to be on the roadmap.

6001949205_a2f4eb7661_o.

Note that "A mount" refers to Sony's DSLR mount, whereas "E-mount" refers to the NEX mount.

It's not the most attractive-looking design to me, but kudos to Sony for putting an EVF without the "hump" in the NEX-7. People have been asking for that since the Panasonic G1 was introduced three years ago, and Sony did it first (amongst interchangeable lens cameras).

Even accounting for the tiny size of NEX bodies, the Zeiss 24mm lens looks disappointingly large. The same goes for the relatively slow (f/6.3 at full tele) 55-210mm zoom.

Should be an interesting time ahead for NEX users!

[Thanks, WT21]

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And the Sony machine begins to move out...

Zeiss 24mm ƒ1.8
    NEX-7 with built in EVF
    Sensor that's even better than what's in the α580/Pentax K-5/Nikon D7000

:thumbup:

3. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I'm really digging the NEX-7. It may ultimately find it's way in my camera bag.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If Sony can get the Zeiss & the 50mm out in short notice along with the NEX-7 (and throw in the 55-210 for fun), MFT will have some competition.

5. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I don't know if I'll get that 24mm 1.8, I might just get adapters to use my current legacy glass.

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    If Sony, updates their current or makes a new better pancake lens, I might consider.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Competition is good.

The Zeiss lens will be better quality that any other Sony lens that I've tried (not hard), which just leaves price. I can't tell if I'll love or hate the NEX-7's ergonomics (I've hated the NEX's so far), but I like the basic form factor. I definitely imagine the GF Pro be similar, but I can picture some differences already.

I really do wonder why Panasonic has never produced a G/GH battery grip. The GH2 could definitely use one, but that third-party one has some issues.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The Nex7 looks cool, but I am feeling better about my recent decision to jump into M4/3. How long have they been talking about the Zeiss and when will it be available? How much longer until another good native lens is available? And then it seems like the size of the body and lens would be pushing closer towards small DSLR range?

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes because Olympus has been stale as of late with their sensor development...

Perhaps the NEX-C3 (with the K-5/D7000 sensor) & the NEX-7 with the 24mp α77 sensor will give Olympus just the wake-up call that it sorely needs in the sensor department...

MFT is hanging on right now due to lens availability...

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I read that Sony nex 7 will not have a built-in VF but rather an external one. Also, those lenses look ridiculously huge, what are they thinking? I think a55 is a better compromise with built-in VF, much faster AF, IBIS and a large seleciton of lenses many of which are pretty lightweight cause they don't require IS. Looking at these pictures I am now more convinced than ever that Nex is an ergonomic failure and is more suitable for legacy MF lenses.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just disagree with this characterization and sentiment, that the NEX is preeminent, and m43 is "hanging on." EP3 + 12/2.0 simply SPANKS NEX + 16mm. Not even close. Usability. AF Speed. Great Lens. Good looks. The sensor limitations, IMO, are overhyped (not non-existent, but overhyped).

Or, we could turn it the other way -- NEX is hanging on right now due to its sensor, and the willingness of people to manual focus.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Addendum:
    Cool thing is that I did NOT start this thread....:dance3::dance3::dance3:

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :biggrin::tongue:

14. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised. Not that there's anything wrong with being that guy (as long as it doesn't become too troll-like), as it foster good debate.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed - But it's also basic human nature to become defensive against "outsiders" - and in this case, the NEX system is the outsider :wink:

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think my issues is when the debate isn't advancing. When it's the same note over-and-over again in different threads. Points well made are points well made. Points that are stated over and over again, even after being addressed, is not spurring debate, IMO - it's proselytizing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The more I see the NEX evolve, the more I think that APS-C and an ultra-small body don't mix...

18. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This rumor from Sony is actually more interesting to me than the rest. A 2.4 million dot OLED viewfinder! I'll take one of those, external or built-in. The better EVFs look and the faster they respond, the shorter DSLRs have to live. Sucks for current NEX owners that it's not backward compatible (kinda like the VF-2 was for E-P1 owners.)

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My old Pentax ME Super was full frame, and is about the same size as my EP1. I think long zooms are trouble, but I think (or maybe just hope) that someone will move to FF at least for wide to portrait lengths.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like how Sony is pushing the envelope, and also the price points they're willing to release at.