C&C Competition Entries - September 2020

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
It's that time of the month again... I need some help deciding on my final images for submission into my local camera club's competition for this month. The theme is 'Telling a Story', so is quite wide, but also quite difficult in a single static image... I'm down to my final 3 choices and I need to decide on 2 for entry, and entries close at midnight tonight so your urgent help is required to help me decided.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

'Whoosh!' (my favourite of the three and one I'm definitely putting in unless persuaded otherwise)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

'Mother's Milk'

Captivity or Conservation?

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A bit harsh but #3 tells me nothing .... so it's #1 and 2 for me. (I like the udder up the nose in #2 and the childs face in #1.)

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit harsh but #3 tells me nothing .... so it's #1 and 2 for me. (I like the udder up the nose in #2 and the childs face in #1.)
Not harsh at all, I'd rather the honesty.

For me, the story in #3 is the conflict that zoos instill in me... I love seeing animals, but it is always in my mind that it is at the expense of their freedom. This is why I've come to the forum for an objective view, so that I can try to remove my personal influence from the choice.

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
If the two pictures are to be submitted as a pair, then it's got to be 1 and 2, as for me, they represent "bonding".
Good luck Chris.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not harsh at all, I'd rather the honesty.

For me, the story in #3 is the conflict that zoos instill in me... I love seeing animals, but it is always in my mind that it is at the expense of their freedom. This is why I've come to the forum for an objective view, so that I can try to remove my personal influence from the choice.
Unfortunately, that story is in your mind, no one else's, so if the competition is 'Telling a story' but no one understands your story and the picture doesn't say anything then .....

Off tangent , I understand your feelings but I do think zoos are necessary to keep species alive and zoos like Chester zoo does great work in this and they do really care for their animals. They exhibit the animals to be able to pay for their work. I do know, however, that not all zoos are as good as Chester and in that respect I share your feelings. JMHO of course. (Must admit It's been a long while since I've been to a zoo even though I'm not all that far from Knowsley Safari Park.)

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for those who had a nosy and especially to @Keeth101 and @Panolyman for your input. I went with images #1 and #2, I just couldn't get away from the personal influence I was placing on #3 and the comments were helpful in reaching that conclusion.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Those would have been my choice too, Chris, and no.1 would have been my single choice. It's a lovely photo.

I also admire the detail you have managed to wring out of the 45-175 in the 2nd shot. Can I be rude and ask what detail enhancing you use?
Thanks for your input @Macroramphosis .

There was quite a lot of detail In the original file, I think I was down at either ISO100 or ISO200 which helped a lot. Post processing, for competition images, I have a few processes that I go through to get to a final image, some images need all of them, other shots don’t.

1) I have a few lightroom presets that I use as a base to develop from, then I think I upped the clarity and dehaze to a level that I am happy with. I also have a preset brush that I developed for eye enhancement which I used on the calf’s eye to bring out the detail. Also use other brushes to push and pull parts of the image as required, usually highlights and shadows, but also other
2) I then take this through to Nik Colour FX and apply Pro Contrast. On some occasions I add other filters, but usually just Pro Contrast.
3) Once back in LR I open the image up in photoshop to apply a sharpening action that I have. If required, will mask the sharpening layer to remove the sharpening from the background and other areas that don’t require maximum sharpness. I also sometimes create a duplicate layer of the main image and use this to take noise out of the background and then use a mask to expose the sharp image. Once I’m satisfied with the sharpness and noise then I take it back into LR.
4) Back in LR I apply any final tweaks before exporting.

A little long winded, hope this helps!

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Whew !! :biggrin:

Please do let us know how you get on, and Good Luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Will definitely do that.

I might even be back in the next day or so for more help... I’ve got three other comps that I’ve got to select images for in the next week, with the next entry due 30th September, and the other two due October 5th. Once I’m down to the final 4 or 5 images to choose from I sometimes struggle to make the final choice because I like them all, which is where an extra pair of eyes (or a few pairs) comes in handy.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Whew !! :biggrin:

Please do let us know how you get on, and Good Luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Results were released this evening... and I got the top two places. Whoosh! took 1st place, and Mother’s Milk came 2nd.

Once again thanks for your help.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Great news Chris.
I'm off to celebrate with a pint......
of milk!
Thanks Brian, it was a bit of a shock to get a 1-2, not had that before!

I’ll be celebrating as well, but with a nice glass of Tempranillo!

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Extremely well done, Chris. Glad we were all able to help. A pint of Tempranillo would be more appropriate but mustn't overdo a good thing must we. :drinks: 🍷🍷🍷
Again, very well done.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom