1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comparisons of full frame am MFT?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herb, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    any posts showing comparisons of MFT and full frame or aps? My Rebel does not give as good an image as my 5d MkII, in terms of sharpness and fine detail for a print 10x15 inches.

Thanks, I am a new member:

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome Herb!

I just sold my 5D and now am completely m43, but there's no way on earth my EP1 came close to my 5D in rendering, color, contrast (this was mainly down to lenses, but I don't think that's entirely the story), and noise. Having said that, the new lenses are closing the gap, such that for my purposes, I no longer wanted to keep the 5D around.

I also shot an XTi and an XSi (and an T1i for a short time). I would say the EP1 compares fairly closely to those rebels (I understand the T2i and T3i stepped it up a notch). The issue for me, up until recently, was always the lenses.

I shot a 50mm/1.8 on the 5D and the 35/2 on my rebel. With the new PL25 coming, and the new AF of the EP3, that's what allowed me to release my DSLR.

I also understand the GH2 is even better than the EP series, in terms of quality of output.

If I could get the 5D sensor with sensor dust removal, auto ISO and in a Rebel body, I might never have switched, but for me the trade off of the big body is worth it.

YMMV

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search, there are a couple threads. Luminous Landscapes even compares m43 to a Hasselblad.

Conclusion is all pretty much the same. In fair to good conditions, from reasonable viewing distances, you will be hard pressed to see the difference. Pixel peeping or super huge enlargements will show the difference.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Different tools for different jobs. I like them all!

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    +1

In my opinion, the only thing that simply cannot be done on Micro Four Thirds, that you may be used to on your 5D, is shallow depth of field wide-angle shooting. Ie. if you're used to using a 35/f1.4 @ f1.4 for environmental portraiture on your 5D, then yes, that effect will be impossible to replicate on MFT. This is just a fact of life with the format - to get the same degree of subject/context/background-seperation you'd need something like a 17/f0.7.

However, for pretty much everything else, Micro Four Thirds (especially with the 16mp sensors in the G3/GH2) is capable of outstanding image quality if you know how to use it.

**note** Yes, I know someone is probably going to post a photo from the 14/f2.5 or 12/f2 wide-open with a subject half a metre in front of the lens and a background at infinity and say "Yes, you can, you just need to know how to use the lens!". Well, no. No, you can't...

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's a few I came across on another site:

Micro 4/3 vs Full Frame (35mm): Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Micro 4/3 vs. FF - Part II: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    FF vs micro 4/3 - Part III: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The GF1 in those comparisons isn't the absolute highest resolution MFT camera, but you get the idea.

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've seen lots. Too many probably, especially this one :rolleyes:

Equivalence fans love to compare "full frame" and 4/3. The arithmetic is easier than comparisons with APS-C or DX :)

8. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    MFT vs 5d2

Thanks guys, it is very impressive. I need to sell off a few things to justify one of the G3's, but it seems as the 20mm f1.7 is a good walkabout lens?

The comparisons, all done via monitors, won't be quite as definitive as prints, which is where I am going with this. I enter gallery shows with an eye to selling prints, so I will do some testing on 11x17 print sizes.

cheers