Comparison of E-M1 and GX8

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by drd1135, Sep 10, 2015.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Strange that the extra mega pixies apparently count for nought... :confused-53:
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Not strange at all. The pixel increase is 25% in area - which equates to about 11% in linear dimensions. That's very little real-world difference.
  4. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Sorta like saying the 12MP - 16MP upgrade achieved bugger all...?
  5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    They made big improvements to the quality of the pixels at that time.
    The 20MP sensor didn't do that, so the image quality hasn't actually improved much, if at all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think one can judge the pixel difference with those shots, I think shooting telephoto subjects such as wildlife will show an advantage. Also if you shoot long exposure shots, the new sensor looks to be better.

"The biggest difference can be found in how the sensors handle long exposures with NR turned to OFF. The E-M1 produces noisy files while the GX8 files are clear of noise. However, it isn’t really a big issue because the E-M1 can create star trails/light paintings in-camera with its Live Composite mode."
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So, they're comparing both files at 100% crop, right? Therefore the GX8 is a larger/higher magnification image so if you're comparing sharpness at 100% they may look the same, but if the GX8 was sized down 11%, would it appear sharper than the EM1?
  8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    It might BE sharper, but it's really hard to SEE an 11% increase in linear resolution.
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The long exposure thing is not really an improvement for the GX8, the E-M1 is just unusually bad. The older E-M5 Sony sensor was actually better, for instance.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    The JPEG sample really shows the difference between Oly and Panasonic. I just don't know how Panasonic have gone all this time with such a JPEG engine. It's clearly inferior to the competition.

Also the Oly RAW files just seemed sharper and punchier.
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For me, I literally don't even care if my interchangeable lens cameras shoot JPEGs, since I never do. The JPEG engine matters less to me than any other feature on the camera. For a while I've shot JPEG + RAW on the off chance that I might use a JPEG for something. But in the end I just have a whole bunch of wasted space and duplicate images.

It looked like the per-pixel image quality is near enough to identical on the GX8 as the E-M1. So you get an extra 25% pixels for free. Seems like a no-lose situation, unless you're really strapped for hard drive space, or something.
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have they ever?
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    They count for cropping pictures without losing so much.