Comparison of 14-42EZ and 14-42IIR (shots included)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Swandy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I picked up a copy of the 14-42EZ pancake this afternoon and decided to take a walk around with it. I also took my 14-42IIR to try to do some comparison shots to see how one compared to the other.

Initial impressions of the EZ:

(1) The build quality is very good for a kit lens. Does not feel light or plasticky at all. The zoom and MF focus rings turn nicely - meaning they feel well dampened (don't move too fast or slowly).

(2) The electronic zoom is not as awkward as I thought it would be. On the EM10 you can change the zoom speed (which I reset to FAST) and it is pretty nice. While I do like the way turning on and off of the camera activates the lens - it does slow down a bit the power up of the EM10. Not dramatic but certainly noticeable. (Then again it is not as annoying as that black screen "YOUR LENS IS LOCKED" message that you get from the 14-42IIR.) That slight slow down of the startup is my only minor quibble so far - might miss that last second grab shot. But the smaller size certainly makes up for that.

(3) The AF speed is great - comparable to the 14-42IIR on the EM10. Did not do any real direct testing, but seems very similar. (I use one central AF spot BTW.)

(4) IQ - they seem VERY close. Please note: I am not a pixel peeper and only viewed these shots at 100% to see how they compare and most of my comparisons were in the center of the shots, or where I felt I focused the shots. I did not compare "corner to corner". For most of the shots I compared (and this is not a scientific test by any stretch of the imagination), I would say the sharpness/contrast of the EZ was slightly better. Enough to sell one for the other - nope. But since I wanted something to make the EM10 smaller/pocketable, this certainly fits the bill without losing any IQ and AF speed over the 14-42IIR.

Below shots: 1st and 4th are the 14-42IIR. 2nd and 3rd are the 14-42EZ

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    appears the pancake has the same IQ as the regular version, which I read someone else expressed the same opinion.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, that is the impression that I have without comparing the two side-by-side. The beauty of the EZ is that it can tuck itself into a messenger bag, tote, etc., and travel very nicely. The EZ plus one or two primes makes a very compact travel kit.

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That's my plan for an upcoming trip to Memphis/Nashville - the EZ pancake, the 17mm/1.8 for night/indoors and the BCL Fisheye (just for some fun).

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Those are the two lenses, sans the fisheye, that I now always have with me.

6. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    That's my plan also for an upcoming trip to NYC, sans the fisheye but probably adding the 45/1.8 to my bag as well.

Steve – I'm curious how the electronic zoom functions compared to your Stylus 1. I tried using a Sony RX10 for a period of time and liked the camera – I've had a RX100 since mid-2012 – but the electronic zoom was impossibly frustrating to use over the 24-200mm (equiv) range. I haven't found that to be the case with the 14-42 EZ, but I'm interested to know how it compares to the Stylus 1.

7. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I think that because I first had the Stylus 1 it made it easier for me to accept the EZ of the pancake. The pancake is to me easier than the Stylus 1 just because it is a much shorter zoom range to deal with. So you can go from one end of the range to the other VERY quickly. The Stylus' much longer range obviously takes more time (even set for the fast speed). I don't get the precise control that I am used to with Manual zooms, but based on very initial impressions - again just got the lens yesterday afternoon - it is certainly something I can get used to.

8. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    Mark