Comparison - EPL1/GH2/Sony A33

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cucco, Feb 25, 2011.

1. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Hi friends -
    As part of the decision to get back into wedding photography, I decided to pick up a new Sony A33 to compliment all of my wonderful Konica Minolta glass. So I now have the EPL1, GH2 and A33 all at my disposal. So, I decided to do a few test shots comparing the cameras. I originally took 3 separate shots to highlight 3 separate capabilities, but the 2nd of the 3 shots involved a slightly long exposure of my dog, and despite my best efforts, little twitches and movements just wouldn't allow that shot to come out clearly.

I'm only posting links instead of pics - the images are all full size (large).

I tried to do my best to make sure that the focal lengths were equal or darn near to it in 35mm equivalent. The lenses used were:
    Oly and Pan cameras: - 20mm Pan and 45-200 Pan
    Sony - Sigma 28-70 1:2.8 and Sigma 70-200 1:2.8

All shots were metered with the Sekonic L-358 light meter (which will show something really interesting).

First shot:
    This is a shot of the center piece of my family room coffee table. All shots were taken at f11 at 1/3 of a second at ISO 200. The focal lengths were roughly 40mm (35mm equiv).

Something of interest is that the m4/3s bodies were very dark when metered the same way as the Sony. The Sony seemed to capture the image well and all cameras were set to the settings indicated on the Sekonic. This is the same for both images.

The second set of pictures is a high ISO test. All images were shot at 3200 ISO. Again, the Sekonic was used to meter the scene. The shots were using the a rough focal length of 90mm (35mm equiv). These shots were taken at f4 at 1/20th of a second. Again, the level of exposure differences is very noticeable between camera types.

Interesting comparisons...

I wish the one of my pup turned out. I like being able to see the fur detail. Maybe when I have a little more free time, I'll set the comparison rig up again.

Comments are welcome.

2. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Additional comments -
    All images were shot using the default image modes (no "vivid" or similar).
    All cameras were set to Auto WB.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    So I take it they're all jpegs?

Having owned all three cameras (albeit only a few days for the Sony), the results are about what I'd expect for jpegs. The EPL1 and the A33 are more visually appealing and warmer than the GH2. The epl1 is notably worse at high ISO than either of the other two, which are pretty close. I wonder if the metering difference on the first shot had something to do with the Sony being zoomed in a little bit tighter into an area with less light? Shooting in RAW, I don't find the differences between the A33 and GH2 all that apparent but there seems to be more shadow and highlight information to pull out if needed in the A33. Your shots do nothing to dispel my basic conclusion that the Sony is the best for IQ, the epl1 for portability and the GH2 a lot of the best of each. The GH2 has IQ and performance VERY close to the Sony and most of the portability of the epl1 - the camera body is a bit bigger but the lenses are the same. And I'm finding in use that the camera is plenty small and light to carry around, but a bit more imposing than one of the Pen style cameras to stick in someone's face...

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It seemed at first that the Sony won the first set, but when I used the zoom the EPL seemed sharper, although the different size made it difficult to be sure.

I didn't look at the ISO test because I know the EPL isn't going to perform at 3200 (the EPL seems to encourage you in the way it defaults to limit itself at 1600).