1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comparison between a Panasonic G3 + 12mm f/2 and a Sony NEX-C3 + 16mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by soundimageplus, Aug 31, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/6092396657/" title="Panasonic Lumix G3 Olympus 12mm f/2 Sony NEX-C3 16mm f/2.8 by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 6092396657_5c86c97deb_z. "640" height="357" alt="Panasonic Lumix G3 Olympus 12mm f/2 Sony NEX-C3 16mm f/2.8"></a>

I wanted to see how a Panasonic G3 fitted with an Olympus 12mm f/2 compared with a Sony NEX-C3 fitted with a 16mm f/2.8. The comparisons are for performance at all ISO's, both from raw and jpg. and how the lenses perform at their various apertures.

Soundimageplus: Comparison between Panasonic G3 + 12mm f/2 and Sony NEX-C3 + 16mm f/2.8

• Like Like x 5
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    David,

Excelent writeup and test. I don't know too much about the NEX system, but I do know that on other fourms the 16mm gets beat up pretty bad. Kinda like the 17mm from Olympus. Overall, it appears that Sony still has an edge in RAW sensor performance. I think the average jpeg user like myself won't see this difference, or if anything, might even prefer the G3's output better.

The thing I'm noticing is that the 12mm f2 is a really good lens, but just isn't as stellar as what people wanted it to be. I think the reality is that with the shorter flange distance that wide and ultra wide lenses might be hard to design for mFT.

What is your overall impression of the 12mm?

3. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The 17mm isn't as bad as its made out to be either.

The 12mm has certain things about it that I like very much. Its sharp across the frame (the prime weakness of the Sony lens I think) its very sharp wide open and it has the wonderful hyperfocal distance / zone focusing scale.

It is, I believe, one of the sharpest lenses you can get from m4/3, the new 25mm f/1.4, is to my mind slightly sharper. There is very little to complain about in terms of its performance, but to me the real issue is how useful it is. Its a focal length I like, the fact that its 12mm means I can get a lot of DOF at most apertures and I can use it to take a certain kind of image that I like very much. Wide-angle close-ups with the background out of focus, but still identifiable. Just my personal preference, but for that and the other uses I would put it to, it works very well. That it does so with extremely good sharpness, good colour rendition and a lot less distortion than you might imagine makes it a terrific lens as far as I'm concerned.

I would under most circumstances prefer it to the 16mm Sony, but then if that 16mm lens is fitted to a 24MP NEX-7 sensor, then I'll see how I feel about it then.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm not seeing a ton of difference in regards to contrast and overall sharpness. What I AM seeing is nearly a full stop in noise difference between the two cameras, the NEX having the obvious advantage. I'm surprised it does not give up resolution at higher ISO's either. The G3 hangs in there but with the noise. I guess size does matter

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's the beauty of the new C3 sensor. They added resolution and cut noise. Generally when the resolution goes up, so does the noise. It would also be interesting to consider edge to edge performance since the C3 sensor is very even. Other sensors are pretty gaussian.

The Sony lenses get smacked around by non Sony users. I honestly don't see why. They are pretty darn good.

6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Hi soundimageplus, just subscribed thru your RSS :)

Question, are you planning on getting/reviewing/testing the e-pl3/e-pm1? I was wondering if you can do a size comparison of any of these cameras compared to the g3? I know I can just look at the dimensions but those numbers usually lie. Will really appreciate it of you do, thanks!

7. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Probably not.