1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Comparing the OMD with the Sony a58

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 13thFloorPhotography, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Not too long ago, I asked the Mu-43 community about the Sony Alpha a58. Many of you have graciously provided your feedback and help me justify my GAS problem =). After a couple of months with the camera, I can honestly say that I am happy with what it can do, especially with the kit and "cheap" 50mm f1.8. These things are going for a pretty decent price and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, especially with the mirrorless Alpha a-mounts coming down the pipeline.

I posted a comparison review of the a58 the Oly OMD. In short, I still think the OMD is a far superior camera (despite it clearly being an unfair comparison). I wanted to thank you all for your help and share my initial thoughts with you here. Please be gentle, as I am still very new to the review process and approach it from a completely non-scientific view.

Thank you all for being such a great community.

13th Floor Photography: An unfair comparison Review of the Sony Alpha a58 and OMD - An enthusiast perspective

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A nice review, and some great shots too. Thanks!

3. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thank you, sir

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:2thumbs:Fantastic job Dino.. Love it .
    Cheers

5. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the kind words

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    There's an error in the article. The A77 does have auto iso.

"In Program and Priority modes, but not in Manual mode, an Auto ISO mode is available, and in Auto, Auto+, Scene, and Sweep Panorama modes, it's the only option. The upper and lower limits for the function can be manually set within a range of ISO 100 to 12,800 in all modes except Movie (which has an upper limit of ISO 1,600), and those that require Auto ISO (which leave the range in the camera's control)."

The feature isn't only for the A99.

I used both, and the focus peaking is invaluable to me with the A77.

7. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I don't think I mention anything about auto ISO. My issue is not having the ability to set the ISO range limit. For the a58, auto iso is set to 100-3200. Ideally, I want it at 100-800 or 100-1600 under extreme conditions. I haven't personally used the a77, so I can't comment on it. If the a77 can set ISO limit, I will gladly update my article. Thanks for the feedback

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I did read it, nicely balanced review.
    I noticed you kept on and on about the Sony being entry-level versus the E-M5 being 'professional' but I don't see where you have mentioned that Olympus' entry-level offerings have the same sensor and processing and general image quality. It's an important point for someone who might be considering a new camera ... since other companies tend not to do the same.

9. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hi, Ulfric

Very Very Very good point. I opted not to discuss the other Oly m43 models, as I do not own any of them. I know they have a fantastic reputation, but I want to avoid reporting on something I haven't physically used. Thanks for the feedback and I just might make a reference to your comment in an update to the post (if you don't mind that is), as I find it useful for others to know this as well.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It can.

11. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    "However, I do have to note that I spend most of my time shooting in Aperture priority mode and one of the features I love about the OMD is having the ability to set my ISO range. The a58 does not have this ability. To my knowledge the a99 (it's full-frame big brother) is the only modern SLT that can do this. The default auto-ISO setting for the a58 is 100 to 3200. In a perfect world, I would limit the ISO to 800 or even 1600 under more extreme conditions"

No biggie.. The A77 and the OM-D are both good.. :2thumbs:

12. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Almost forgot- very well made site!

13. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oh I see. I will definitely update the comment that the a77 is adjustable. Thanks again and appreciate the feedback from everyone. This community is pretty awesome